OCD need help

Mumtobe20

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has it. It all started for me when I was little. My mum and dad split up and after that I started washing my hands more than 50 times a day I saw a physcologist which helped and it slowly improved. However its back again and this time its far worse than it was before and is ruining my life. I am constantly checking doors over and over again making sure their locked, checking windows are locked over and over again and checking cookers are off, plug sockets basically everything right down to checking wardrobes and attics before I go to bed. Its got so severe I wont leave the house without my OH and avoid certain people walking down the street. Even writing this now I feel silly, embarrassed and ashamed of it. It affects my life on a day to day basis I spend on average 4 hours of my day checking things. Does anyone else suffer from this??? Would be good to chat with someone who knows what im going through or has been through this sorry for the long post x

Hi my sweet, I suffer from it too. :hugs:

Have you been back to your GP?. I am taking Citalopram to help with mine.

x

Hey hun no I ve not been to my GP. Sounds silly but im really embarrassed about it, going to make an appointment next week though I need to sort it out cause its taking over my life x

I know what you mean I was embarrassed too, but it's amazing how much my medication helps. They may want to refer you for CBT, did you have that last time?.

I understand how crippling it can be, it still interferes with my life every day but on a much lower level.

x :hugs:

Tbh I cant remember I was 9 so it was a good few years ago. What does CBT mean? I just remember seeing a psycologist which helped with the handwashing but OCD just moved onto something else. I dont believe its ever been away But its definately worse than before x

CBT is cognitive behavioural therapy. When I had it I had to do exposure treatment, so for example, if you needed to keep checking the front door after leaving the house to make sure it is locked then your therapist would ask you to walk away without checking it even once, it is scary and the anxiety does kick in big time, I won't lie but after 'X' amount of mins/hours the anxiety comes down and you start to feel more at ease about it.

It's hard and for me personally it did help reduce mine, but I could not maintain it alone, so I ended up back to where I started more or less which is when I went to my GP and they gave me the Citalopram. But having said that it's different for everyone, you might go and it really help and you are able to maintain it.

I didn't want to be on tablets, I don't really like taking any form of medication long term but the difference it makes to my life is incredible, its the difference between not wanting to wake up in the morning and enjoying life. For that reason I am prepared to take the medication for the rest of my life.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->