Odd feeding amounts-worried

Blackrain90

DS-2 & Bean on the way!
Reaction score
My son spent the first 11 days in neonatal intensive care unit due to issues at birth. He didn't have any problems with feeding, he was being bottle fed breast milk, and around days 8-11 he was eating about 80mls every 3 hours, give or take. We have been trying to transition to just breast at home; have had some issues, he is doing ok but sometimes gets topped up 20mls or so by bottle, and usually has a night feeding just by bottle.

The last day or so (he is about 15 days old) he has changed his pattern. He is still eating every 3-4 hours, but not consistent amounts. Last night he ate 60mls by bottle, and then his next 2 feedings (about every 3 hours) he breast fed, but only for about 5-7 minutes. I have a strong let down, but in that timeframe I usually produce about 40-50mls. I think I topped up 10 mls the first; tried to top up the second time, but he spit it all back up. The next feeding he fed a good 20 mins on breast, so probably 80-100mls; next two feedings (about 3.5 hours apart) were again only 5-7 mins, and again the second one I topped up 10mls; hubby tried to top up a bit more and again he spit it all up.

I keep trying to top up because I think there's no way he is full after such a short time; he either falls asleep and won't wake back up, or when I try to relatch him, he purses his lips and refuses to take any more. I am learning not to try to top up if he isn't angry and crying, If he is just fussing with his soother I guess he isn't hungry.

I am worried that he isn't getting enough, but I would think if he was hungry he would keep fussing after 5 minutes (like he would before)

Side note-after 2 days out of hospital he had gained 6oz, average is an ounce a day, so he gained 3x that. I wonder if he was just eating too much, and now he is eating normal amount and will gain the normal amount? He is also a very gassy baby (toots, not many burps though), not as bad today though. We assumed 80mls was normal amount since hospital said he should eat 70-100mls per feeding.

Looking for thoughts, opinions, experiences etc. Calling my health nurse tomorrow but still really worried tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->