Off topic: gift ideas for my dad

SpringCrane

Reaction score
My dad will be visiting for Christmas. We have a pathetically superficial relationship. We see each other a few times per year for a day. We have nothing in common. We've never fought in my entire life or had a meaningful conversation. We smile and hug to greet, sit in awkward silence for a day's visit, and that's that. He'll be with us for Christmas this year. I've never known what to get him for gifts... If I don't see him for the occasion, it's just a card. But when he is actually here with us while everyone is opening gifts, I feel it's necessary to get him something. He's wealthy and buys whatever he wants. He adores my son and has had every possible item in his office or house plastered with his face, so an easy framed photo or photo mouse pad type idea is a no go. He downloads recent pictures from my Facebook, so I don't even get to give them to him. Ugh, any ideas?? My son's too young to make anything for him, though believe you me starting next year that'll be the go to for all following gift giving occasions!

I know an option is to give him nothing, but I'd love to be able to give him something. He doesn't read, doesn't drink, no cigars, no food favorites beyond fast food...

I got my dad a desktop trebuchet. Seems like a dad thing...lol.

Same with my Dad, it's so awkward at Christmas and Birthdays because the rest of the year our involvement is minimal yet I do feel the need to get him presents. I normally have a snoop around sites like notonthehighstreet for ideas and there are plenty of random/interesting presents on there. :hugs:

What about a canvas picture of your son and dad together? Like the first picture or of a special occasion? Or a side by side of three generations your son as a baby you and your dad? I found that my father loves pictures as he gets older. Absolutely adores any kind of sentimental memory thing. Just a thought.

In that situation is give him either smellies, or how about you get tickets to a farm/zoo/aquarium or something along the lines of a day out, with you and your son.
My dad used to always say "I don't want anything, just to spend time with you"
so he loved days out with us.
It's also a chance to bond, and takes the pressure off another visit sitting in silence. X

Your son is about the same age as my second-born. Our situations will be different, of course. My son has been helping with crafts since he could hold a crayon. Pinterest will have tons of ideas of things he can make, but handprint crafts are a great suggestion for that age. You do most of the work, but it's really cute. Also, I involve all of my kids, including my 1 year old, in crafts where I cut out shapes and they glue them together. OH had a minion themed birthday in September, and I cut out minion shaped bodies, pants, arms, legs, shoes, and I found a bunch of Googly eyes. I helped with the glue and let my kids put the body parts on themselves. My 1 year old put the eyes where the mouth goes, and I let them draw their own "smiles" with marker, so her minions' smiles were so funny, but it was really cute, and you could tell she did it herself. My 2 year old did a fabulous job, but like I said, he's very used to doing crafts. My nephew, who's 3, was over that day, so I had him make those, and you can tell it was his first craft, but my OH loved them all and took tons of pictures of them to show everyone. :)

I went into so much detail so you could tell exactly what was involved in case you wanted to attempt a similar craft with your little one. :)

My father never needs anything. He has a gambling addiction, and that's his life. I refuse to buy him anything gambling related. His birthday is Saturday, so I bought him some fleece button-up shirts (he only wears button ups) and a stainless steel travel mug with his favorite sports' team on it because he is always drinking coffee or tea in styrofoam to-go cups. We just buy him clothes because he cannot shop for himself and always looks terrible when he does. Lol. I go through this every year, trying to find something better for my father, but it never comes around. Even if it's a stupid gift, he will really appreciate the gesture and will be part of the action as everyone else is opening gifts. I'm pretty sure just getting to spend time with his grandson will make it the best Christmas. :)

Thanks ladies! I think I'll likely go in the direction of a craft my toddler can assist with. He does crafts, but we haven't attempted much that's more permanent than paper-based. I was thinking of going to a ceramics place and having him create and/or paint something.

My dad has a million pictures of the kid already, otherwise that'd be my go to. He lives out of state and literally flies in/out same day for visits, so an activity might be difficult to manage. All great ideas though, for a more normal Grandpa ;-)

The holidays just highlight what a nonsense relationship we have, so I think I just get bitter when struggling to come up with ideas. Our town does a secret holiday shop for kids 3+ where they go in with a list of people to buy for and an adult volunteer helps then pick out gifts... I think I'll be sending him there starting next year and we'll see what bizarre gifts he gets Grandpa from there. Takes the pressure off me!

What about a photo calendar for 2016 of your son x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->