Off Topic: Helping friend buy ring

SpringCrane

Reaction score
Hi ladies. I know this is off topic, but this is the only venue I could think of to get access to so many female opinions! Hope you don't mind.

My friend is getting ready to propose to his girlfriend. He and I are very close, and while she and I are friendly, we don't really hang out outside of gatherings. He wants my help picking out an engagement ring... and I have no idea how best to help! My only useful advice so far was about sizing. For style... ??? How I can be the best help to him? (Without suddenly becoming very friendly with her out of the blue and asking about her jewelry preferences!) She's much more of a tomboy than I am (and I'm not super girly). I don't know any of you have advice, but I will certainly take it.

Thanks!!

Well if she is a tomboy, she probably doesn't want some huge blingy ring, so I would look for something more simple. Maybe with a single diamond.

https://www.myjewelrybox.com/?section=item&itemID=8486 Something like that. This is actually my ring. Lol. But it is simple and not too blingy.

https://www.myjewelrybox.com/?section=item&itemID=16155 This is my wedding band-- or not exactly but looks very similar. Again, simple and not too blingy.

I am much more girly than tomboy but I would imagine a tomboy wouldn't want something like this

https://www.myjewelrybox.com/?section=item&itemID=16435

Here is another pretty one, simple and a little more blingy--if you wanted to get her some bling but definitely not over the top..

https://www.myjewelrybox.com/?section=item&itemID=11954

That is all I really have as far as advice. I obviously have no idea who she is but if she doesn't wear a lot of jewelry and bling, she probably wont want some huge rock.

I am very much a tomboy and my ring looks like the last one posted by the previous poster but with only the bigger 3 center stones. I love it. I would stay away from princess cut!

Your ring is very similar to mine! I like the simple solitaire... and she probably would too... I just wanted to make sure I don't suggest something similar to what I have because I happen to like it myself! :)

I was thinking she might also like a non-diamond stone, too. She's pretty environmentally conscious and hippie-like, so she might be a bit bugged by the diamond reality. I actually told my husband all I cared about in rings was making sure it was a conflict-free diamond. Pretty sure it isn't... sigh. But it's beautiful and he picked it out, so I love it. :)

I'm not overly girly..and not a big fan of jewelry and OH got me this ring. I told him I wanted a princess cut solitaire.

https://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j466/jess_shortcake/Pics/imagejpg2-2.jpg

Why not suggest he takes her to pick one? My hubby proposed by tying a napkin around my finger and we went ring shopping a week or so later. It was an independent jeweller who taught us all about cut, clarity, colour etc. I'm not a girly girl but I loved it and I'm so pleased I got to choose what I'll wear for the rest of my life.

If he does decide to choose for her - buy a straight band. Not one of those curvy ones, otherwise you enter the territory of custom made wedding bands to fit round it.

Also if going non-diamond make sure you still pick a hard wearing stone. Some are too soft and won't cope with. 60+ years of daily wear.

I would tell him to buy a cheap ring just for the sake of the proposal and then take her to pick her own.

She may elect not to have an engagement ring and just wear a wedding band instead if she's not mad keen on jewellery. I did this (but for different reasons) and have a wedding band with diamonds incorporated into it.

As already suggested- he should go with simple. A solitair. Then they can always pick out the "wedding" band together- or upgrade the solitair into another setting. It just keeps it all easy that way :)

Personally, I showed my hubby what I wanted. LOL. Then left it up to him to make the final decision and purchase it and plan the proposal. But, he knows how picky I am. LOL. Since we didn't want to spend too much at first- we got simple rings- then later one, we both upgraded to better quality. I even had mine sorta customized and LOVE it :)

DH and I picked out a Princess cut solitaire for my engagement ring, white gold with a moderately small princess cut diamond in a platinum setting.

This is my engagement Ring

And I was planning to go with a simple white gold band or a simple band with some small diamonds for the wedding ring, but I went with this instead and I love it:

My wedding ring

TBH, I am not sure how I would have felt if DH had gone off and bought an engagement ring without me looking. I'm very particular about it (it's like a white gold version of my late mother's). That being said, it's hard to go wrong with a solitaire engagement ring.

I was thinking she might also like a non-diamond stone, too. She's pretty environmentally conscious and hippie-like, so she might be a bit bugged by the diamond reality. I actually told my husband all I cared about in rings was making sure it was a conflict-free diamond. Pretty sure it isn't... sigh. But it's beautiful and he picked it out, so I love it. :)

I am a pretty big tomboy, and I picked out all my rings. I liked the thought of conflict-free stones as well, but those rings were SO EXPENSIVE! I wanted a nice "traditional-looking" (read: "blingy" lol) set, but I knew I wouldn't wear them all the time. Because, hello, tomboy. I didn't see any point in spending a ton of money on rings I wasn't going to wear every day.

I went to JCPenney's jewelry counter. They had bridal sets with lab-created stones. I got a set (attached) for $130. I get compliments on them ALL THE TIME. Usually it'll be a waitress at a nice restaurant. They always say, "Wow! What a ROCK!" and then they tell hubby he did a good job. I never tell them it's not a real diamond, and it's silver instead of white gold or platinum. :haha:

I ordered a simple silver celtic knot ring with no stone (very similar to this) for $50 that I wear more regularly.

Attachments

• rings.jpg
    rings.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 7
If he doesn't want to spend a lot, white sapphire is a good alternative to a diamond and waaaaay cheaper! My sister got it for her wife's ring (bc she doesn't like diamonds) and you can't tell at all!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->