Officially done testing...thanks, hook effect.

lovenoel

Reaction score
I'm 26dpo today, 5w5d along. It snowed like crazy yesterday/last night, so I'm sort of hanging out in the house, trying to stay warm. I went to take a shower and thought, what the heck - I'll use my last box of FRER. Why not? I don't have many symptoms and seeing a nice dark line always makes me feel better. I've managed to avoid testing since getting my 3+ on a clearblue digi at 4w4d - my beta came back at 3000+.

I took one, and the test was faint - as faint as my line at 11dpo was! Naturally, panic ensued. I still had one clearblue digi that I used next, which gave me a somewhat reassuring 3+, although the result didn't pop up as fast as I'd have liked. Then I thought about the hook effect and decided to dilute my pee with half water. So I filled the rest of the cup up with tap and took two more tests.

Much darker lines. Lesson learned...don't pee on anymore tests. Nothing is going to reassure me besides seeing a hb at my scan on Thursday...and if we get lucky enough to see that, I'm sure I'll find something else to freak about.

It's so hard to let go of control and just realize that what will be will be. No matter how many tests I pee on or dark lines I get anyway, it doesn't guarantee a good outcome. I just need to relax! I like that mantra that was posted the other day...Keep calm and gestate on.

Here's the photo of the "hook" tests. Top one was with full strength urine, bottom two were diluted heavily with water. No. More. Tests!

Attachments

• hook effect.jpg
    hook effect.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 71
Wow that FRER was super misleading!!
I've also hit hook effect territory, so poas has lost its novelty for me too! Kinda pleased lol x

It's messing with my head, but I keep telling myself that it HAS to be the hook effect (or something like it) or I wouldn't have gotten darker lines with diluted pee.

I wish I hadn't taken them - all I can do now is wait til Thursday!

Lovenoel, rest assured that it is definitely the hook effect!! Around 6 weeks my tests started to look a bit lighter and I started to panic, but then I remembered all I'd read about the hook effect........so I diluted my urine with lots of water and got a lovely dark line! I tried it several times and found it really cool once I was reassured - and to make you feel better, the pregnancy continued perfectly and the resulting beautiful 5 week old girl is sleeping on my knee as I type :)

Try to relax and enjoy your pregnancy, it's over before you know it :hugs: xxxxxxxx

I was gonna say, it's definitely the hook effect, don't worry!!!

I had hook effect hit at 25 dpo. I tested every day from 8-22 and then made myself stop after a 3+. On 25 I had 2 test left and took one. There was almost no line at all! I started looking online and found hook effect info so I tried again with diluted urine and got an instant dark line! Crazy how the different types of hcg can mask each other but happy that I am 8 weeks and still fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->