OGTT test at 28 weeks (blood glucose tolerance)

vs011

Reaction score
I'm not in this board quite yet but really need some advice right now.

I was told by my ob/gyn that I will receive a blood glucose tolerance test at 28 weeks (or about there). She told me this during my 18 week check up, she said it takes about 10 weeks for a glucose issue to change. So I'm happy she gave me a heads up so that I can pass the test. I'm also in very good health and I think she doesn't want me to get a false positive.

She said to avoid or limit foods that could spike my blood glucose too much, such as white rice, any sweets, and have a lot of protein and lentil based dishes. Well white rice is a primary food source for me since my life. I still am eating white rice, but just once per day and in portion control instead of 2-3 times a day. I am trying to convert into soup based meals with veggies, and having more protein based dishes with a small portion of carbs (usually just potatoes).

What helpful advice did your ob/gyn or did your research give you so you can pass this test? What foods should I start cutting down asap the weeks prior to having the test done?

Mine just told me to limit sugars a few days before and the day of. I have a family history of diabetes as well as gd, and I passed with flying colors. So I basically limited my carbs for about a week before.

I didn't change anything about how I eat regularly, but I usually have mostly veg with smaller portions of meat and a carb. The morning of my test I had an omelet with some shredded cheddar cheese and broccoli. I didn't cut down on my carb in-take. Unless you plan on maintaining the dietary changes for the rest of the pregnancy I don't think it isn't a good idea to change your habits just long enough to pass the test.

Is there a reason your doc thinks you won't pass and need to change your eating habits? Does diabetes run in your family?

Personally, I eat a lot of sugary things and I passed with DS just fine, I am taking mine tomorrow AM with this pregnancy and I have been taking my fasting glucose for the past 2 mornings, both have been really low readings. I don't have any qualms about passing tomorrow, I haven't changed anything about my diet really. I have tried to eat protein and fat at every meal leading up to the test, not just carbs, but that is it.

has anyone tried something called Farro? I picked it up at the market, it just says organic Farro wheat. It looks like wheat flakes, but it is cooked similar to the way rice is cooked. It looks like a possible rice substitute? Does anyone eat Farro?

No, I don't even eat rice...just potatoes and pasta.

Wheat is still a carbohydrate anyway, it may not be AS bad as white rice, but it's the same type of food.

I agree that if you don't plan to stick with the changes after the test, it isn't good to do them before. It isn't worth the risk of the issues that can be monitored and taken care of. I did not pass my test and have GD. It is pretty well diet controlled for me, 33 weeks and still no meds and I have known since before 26 weeks.

Do eat and sleep well a few days before the test, but it really is unknown why some women get it and some don't. as the OP said, wheat is a carb and some people react more to wheat than white rice, some can eat potatoes, I can eat fruits but know someone that says her numbers go high just from walking by fruit :) etc, so unless you plan to drop to an actual diabetic diet and test blood sugars, there is no way to know that you are eating the right carbs for your body.

If I actually had gestational diabetes right now, I'm not even sure what the symptoms would be. I have noticed I have to drink more water right after I urinate (it started as 2nd tri began), but my urine check ups so far have come back normal. And I only snack occasionally to keep sweet cravings under control. Does anyone even feel symptomatic with GD?

I don't plan to change what I eat, just will cut down on rice, eat veggies without rice, or just have more soup based meals instead of rice based. And start eating whole wheat toast more frequently. Just until the test. Nothing drastic.

My doctor didn't say anything about changing my diet leading up to the test, just to not eat anything high in sugar the morning I took the test. I ate my regular diet in the months before, and the day of I had a couple scrambled eggs with spinach. Passed the test with flying colors.:thumbup:

My sister that had gd had zero symptoms. I was so sure I'd have it as sugar makes me feel so blah and off, along with being a bit overweight, and they say excessive thirst can be a symptom. The only time I'm super thirsty is at night or when I wake up in the middle of the night to pee, but apparently thats not so uncommon in pregnancy.

Definitely just eat your normal diet. Cutting carbs for a few days beforehand gives a false result.

If you're going to have GD, you're going to have it and it's far better that it's discovered sooner rather than later for the health of the baby.

It's usually symptomless early on, but there can be symptoms later. However, the symptoms are things you could easily put down to pregnancy anyway - tiredness and peeing a lot.

I didn't have any symptoms and I only have a few people at my grandparents generation with type 2, none of my parents generation have developed it yet. I am not overweight, I eat healthy and exercise and have only gained 12 lbs at 33 weeks, so I have none of the other risk factors. I'm not sure how much diet change will help, unless you plan to stick with it all the way through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->