OH getting a new job? Wwyd?

justplay91

Mama to Kai and Zoe!
Reaction score
So OH has gotten a job offer and they want him to start the 23rd of November. The only problem is I'm due December 4th and he hasn't told them I'm pregnant yet! We didn't want them to base their decision on that, as even though they aren't legally allowed to, I know it could still factor into their overall decision. We were hoping he'd be able to take 1-2 weeks off like he did when our son was born, but that probably isn't realistic if he's just started a new job, is it? But he'd be making considerably more money (we're waiting for email from HR to hear how much more) and long term prospects at this new job are better... So it's definitely a good idea to take the job. We just don't know how it's going to work with a new baby coming right around that time! What would you do? We're in the US, not sure if that makes a difference.

My fiance took a new job a couple months ago.. unfortunately with a pay cut during training, but anyway.. He did end up telling then I am pregnant during the hiring and asked if he could take a week off when the baby is born and they happily said yes thank goodness. . they've actually been much more lenient about days off than his last job luckily. I would say he could let them know and see if they'd be willing and if not then you can decide on keeping the first job or not having a paternity type leave. Best of luck! More money is always helpful.

If it were me, I would want my hubby to take the new job. It would really suck if he can't get the time off when the baby is born, but if the job is better for your family in the long run then I would say take the job. And you never know, the employer might be really accommodating with with birth.

It'd suck for a little while, but he should definitely take it. I'm due with baby number two while hubby will be going to school in the evenings full time. It will sick for awhile, but it will be better for us financially and in the long run.

I would prefer he took the new job, the better money will do you better in the long run and you never know he may be lucky and be able to have a week off anyway! It's always better to look at the long term I think

I think he should take the job as the long time prospects sound a lot better and fingers crossed his new work will give him some time off for baby

My OH will be starting a new job on the 17th November and I'm due the 5th December! It's a significant pay rise and his dream job so there was no question of him not taking it. He told them when he got his start date. I don't know where you are but here in the UK, he will still be entitled to statutory paternity leave. He's definitely hoping that he gets a couple of weeks in before baby arrives though!

He should tell them about the pregnancy and ask if it would be possible to take some time even if just a week! They should be respectful of that!!!! :)

My dh applied for a job in March and they finally interviewed in June and in his last interview he told the ppl he met with that I was due in about 4 weeks. I thought it would make them reconsider but they offered him the job and 2 weeks after he started our dd was born. They gave him a week off but it was unpaid. He should take the job and then tell them your going to have a baby. Worse case scenario would be them saying no to extra time off.

I think he definitely will take the job. I guess we're going to have him be up front and tell them now... They've offered him the job but it's contingent upon passing a polygraph (it's a government job where he needs to be good with some types of sensitive data) and a criminal background check, which won't be a problem. I'm just worried they'll find some reason not to hire him based off of some technicality, but really it will be because of the baby being due so soon. Oh well... It's really important to us both that he get to be home for the first week so we can bond as a family. So he's going to accept the job and then tell them about the baby and week off/ask them what they'd like him to do as far as start date goes.

Dad's have a right to a two weeks leave from work when a baby is born. See if they have a HR book or rules book (since working for the government could be different I am not positive ) to see if it's noted in there.

I would accept the job, but at the same time have an honest discussion about the fact he'll need time off. He wouldn't qualify for paid or even unpaid paternity leave anyway, even if they happened to offer it, because he's still be in a probationary period, but they might be happy to discuss allowing him unpaid time off or setting his start date for December sometime after you would likely have given birth. We're in the UK, so it's slightly different, but my husband started a new job 2 weeks before we got married. Obviously, we already planned time off for the wedding and then a two week honeymoon well before he even applied for this job. They wanted him to start a certain week because they had two other new employees in his department starting the same week and wanted to only do the training once. So he just talked to them about it and they were perfectly happy to give him the time off. It meant he used up all his time off for the year in the first month he started and had to work over Christmas instead, but anyway it was fine. Similarly, when we had our daughter, though he did get two weeks of paid time off for paternity leave, I actually ended up getting really sick with mastitis (like really sick, high fever, delirious, not able to do much but lie in bed and take antibiotics and feed our daughter when he brought her to me). He talked to his work and was able to arrange an extra week off unpaid so he could take care of us. I think really it's just about having a conversation. Most bosses won't be total jerks about it, and if they are, better to know this now so he can consider if it's the sort of position he would even want to take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->