Oh Joy! Looks like I'm off to the dentist - UPDATE Extractions required!

aimee-lou

Totally Outnumbered!!
Reaction score
When I was PG with my first my wisdom teeth both caved in completely. I had them filled when he was about 8m old. When I was in slow labour with Eddy my teeth really kicked off, and I have since registered with a new dentist (in April) but pace of life being what it is, I've yet to be seen.

Come today, I've got killer toothache and looking in the mirror it looks like the fillings have come out of my wisdom teeth and I can see at least 3 cavities on other molars. I'm pretty convinced it's my acid reflux that fills my mouth overnight.

Thankfully because I've now registered I can call tomorrow for an emergency appointment and hubby can take the boys as he's off. But, until then I'm dosed up on panadol every 3.5 hours (what I was told to do by the hospital when I was in pain while PG with Eddy). Eurghhhhh I hate the dentist! :cry:

Not much advice... just wanted to say that I'm sorry you're having to deal with this!!! :hugs: I hate the dentist too :nope:

I have to go to get a filling replaced...I dont mind much lol...hope all goes well!

Well I called this morning, got an appointment at 12 (wish my Dr's were that efficient lol).

I arrived at 12 on the dot and was seen straight away (again I could get used to this lol).

The dentist was a lady which threw me a little as I've only been to the dentist 3, maybe 4 times in my life and it's always been a man. She was lovely and put me really at ease asking about the baby etc and taking my history down.

She did a full check up and she said that my teeth aren't actually that bad considering my age (nearly 30) and my lack of dental treatment in the past. I'm going to need 1 small filling to my molar that I thought I could see a cavity (I was right) but the others she just put down as 'ok' until she could get an x-ray after baby.

That was all fine, until she saw my wisdom teeth. :cry:

Basically, they have completely caved in. The filling I had on one had fallen out and the tooth is completely rotten. I had to have it drilled and temporarily dressed as I can't have x-rays but she has said that if the pain doesn't at least halve in a week then I'm to go back and they'll send me to the hospital for an emergency extraction. The other side is completely dead and almost rotted to nothing and needs taking out too but isn't causing pain.

I'm now on strict orders to go and get x-rays done as soon as I feel well enough to get myself there after baby is born, and they'll refer me for extraction within 3 months of that happening. It's a relief to know that it's all ok and in hand now though, as scared as I am at the prospect of surgery to extract my 2 wisdom teeth.

However there are 2 small things that are bothering me. 1 - apparently I should have been referred for an emergency dental exam when I went to A&E when I was in labour with Eddy. This apparently was remiss of the A&E department and I could have actually had the extractions done as emergencies that night or within 48 hours of birth! OR I could have been referred to my local NHS dentist for them to be done within 3 months of Eddy......a whole 9 months ago!!! None of this was done by the hospital who I think were just relieved I wasn't going to have a baby in their waiting area!

The other thing that's bothering me. She explained that it was a long standing issue....nothing to do with pregnancy as I had been told previously. She said that the wisdom teeth are formed at the same time as the adult teeth in the first 8 years of life. Poorly formed wisdoms like mine that corrode and are basically hollow are due to poor diet in childhood. I grew up with a mother who would put me through all the diets on the planet because she wanted to lose weight and refused to cook seperate meals for me (cabbage soup anyone) and I don't think I drank any milk as such up to the age of 5 as I've been told that I used to scream blue murder but my step dad once forced me to drink it (knowing it was good for me) and I liked it and haven't been able to get enough of the stuff since. However, up to about 10 years ago it was mostly red top which I know now (with children of my own) is no good for kids. I have a lot of issues with my mother.....just added another!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->