OH question once had baby...

I had my little girl at 4:33am on a Sunday morning, hubby went at 7:30am for a sleep as we'd been up since Friday.

Unfortunately I had to stay in until monday ready for docs to do their newborn check. Think we would have been discharged if it had been a weekday. Hubby was allowed to stay until 9pm & could come back at 9am.

they can not make you stay any longer than you want YES in the UK 6 hours is what they say but like with anything they cannot hold you or baby there against your will and you can discharge yourself at any time.

i spoke to my midwife about this as i hate hospitals and am planning on having a home birth but if for any reason i needed to go in i TOLD her that if i have to stay then so does OH or i will discharge myself (i dont think daddy should be seperated from his baby anymore than mummy should) and she said that in most cases hospital would let him stay in these circumstances or make sure my paperwork was completed even if in the early hours so we could all go home.

obviously if there was complications and it was going to be a few days stay as long as OH could stay with baby for the first 24 hours after birth we have agreed he would happily go home then as long as he could come back and be with us 9am till 9pm every day we were in there

I really hope the RSCH(Royal Sussex County Hospital) isn't like this! Kicking the DH's/partners out even if LO hasn't arrived is disgusting! Or should I be saying, how inconsiderate of our LO's to decide to make an appearance at a time not suitable or fitting with the hospital timetable...!! If the hospital try kicking DH out before Beanie arrives, they had better be prepared to deal with more than my hormones!!!! RRRAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to stay for 3 days as i had a csection. Alice was born at 2am and OH went home about half 3 once i was moved onto the ward

Oh god, I hope they don't try to send OH home, I can just see him making a HUGE scene about that. His opinion, and mine as well, is that he has just as much right to be there as I do.

I thought OH only had to go away if u weren't in establishled labour (in my op the start of labour is labour). My OH was with me until she arrived as was my dad. My mum went with my aunty & uncle at midnight as she was workin nxt day but they were allowed to stop but only 2 at a time in my room. They took it in turns.

Do UK hospitals all have different policies on this?

I've had my children all over the country, 2 hospitals in london one in newcastle and carlisle. Everytime if i was in established labour he could stay and then (if it was the middle of the night) he would go home after when i went up to a ward. Durning the day he could stay until 8-9 pm. The max im normally in is 2 nights in total. I have been in and out in 6 hours too though lol.

In the US, most hospitals require atleast a 24 hour stay after the baby is born. A birthing center with midwives is usually 4-6 hours afterwards as long as there aren't any complications

I'm confused - who looks after baby if mum has had a c-section and other half has been sent home?

best wishes

My hospital has a chair that pulls into a bed for OH, in every room. The wards all have them and are just separated by a curtain. You can have 2 people in the room with you during labor and they can stay with you the whole time until baby is there :) Usually they keep you at least one night but sometimes two nights, it just depends on how you and baby are and I find with first time moms they tend to keep them a bit longer than moms that have been there, done that! You may be able to book a hospital tour, just call your hospital and ask if they offer tours for pregnant women, that way you know what to expect when you go! GL xx

SabrinaKat, when i had my c section my little girl was taken down to scbu for her first 2 days because she was at risk of infection but I was wheeled straight in on my bed to see her. The day after I'd had her as soon as I could feel my legs again I walked to see her, from then on I was the one to take care of her. I wasn't in any pain at all. I've been told this time (as im having another c section) as long as all is well and my baby stays with me my baby will be handed straight to me following the birth so I can establish breastfeeding etc. Then throughout the first night while im unable to get up just ring my bell for a midwife to come to me who will be able to hand me my baby for feeding and assist with changing etc. On my ward there was one other lady who'd had a c section and she managed just fine through the night on her own!

X

NHS hospitals are allowed to discharge you after 6 hours once u have completed various checks, but you can dischagre yourself after only 2.

Currently men are only allowed durning visting hours unless there are serious complications, however they had a petition on the BBC this morning about this, in which people are trying to pass something that will allow men to stay if they wish. (hopefully this will happen before i am due.)

I also know a few hospitals near me allow u to rent a room (if they are free) in which OH can stay.

i sooo hope i dont have to stay overnight, want to be home as soon as.

I'm confused - who looks after baby if mum has had a c-section and other half has been sent home?

best wishes

I had a c-section with my little boy at 4:30pm, moved into ward around 9pm and OH was sent home. I was left to look after baby myself from then, I could press a bell for a nurse to come help if i needed it.

I can kind of see why men get sent home once the baby is born if women are not in private rooms. There are other patients on the ward who need to get some kip and they probably wish to be undisturbed by visiting FOBs. The ward manager has to take the needs of all new mothers on the ward in to account I guess so asking FOB to leave after mum and baby are settled in is fair enough.

I have seen that most maternity wards have longer visiting hours for dad - usually 8am-9pm or something similar. And they're very flexible if there is actually a need for FOB to stay beyond that. Thats long enough if labour is over and done with!

I live in the US and both hospitals that I have had my babies in has allowed me to have as many people in the room while I am in labor as I want as long as they aren't causing trouble and my labor is going good. My OH has never been asked to leave during my labor or after. We all have a private room to labor in and then to stay in after baby is born. I love where I am going to have this baby because it's really like a hotel and if we get hungry they will let us order off the menu at any time and as much as we want. We have TV,VCR,DVD small fridges in out room, internet, radio's the works. Every labor room has jetted tubs and has the same luxury's as the after birth rooms. They ask that we stay at least 24hrs after baby is born but we can leave 6hrs AMA (against medical advice) for a vaginal birth we can stay for up to 3 days and for a c section we can stay up to a week. If baby has problems and has to stay they have rooms in the nursery that we can stay in as long as there is one open. They don't provide food for oh's while we are there but they do send us home with a great meal for 2 as a gift for baby being born. They also give us other gifts for baby as well. Like I said I love the hospital's where I have gave birth!!

Wantingbbbump wow! That sounds so wonderful! But I am guessing this is a private facility and not like the NHS (national health service) which is after all free to all. I think you can have all those services over here too if you have private insurance and go to a private hospital but the prices if you pay out of your pocket directly are nothing short of insane. (I had a look at the Portland clinic's midwife led prices, the mind boggles!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->