ok,another question for you ladies! Routines?

grumpymoo

Happy Mummy!
Reaction score
what do you think of routines at Roses age? she is 10 weeks old now, 4 weeks corrected.

Now, i am embarrassed to say that i am a nursery nurse and have looked after children and babies for the past 19 years! i like to think that if Rose had gone to term i would of known exactly what to do, but given she came a bit early i am not sure what to expect of her sometimes.

i would love to get her into a routine but am not sure if i am expecting too much. this morning she screamed for a feed and was beside herself. i wanted her to last another 30mins (so she had gone 2 hours in total) but could not let her cry that long so i fed her after about 3 mins:blush:

what did you all do?

thanks

moo x

i know exactly what you mean, you have to fly by the seat of your pants with these wee ones! Did you try a dummy after all? that might help distract her from a feed a little longer but like you I would also have just fed her, if it were me id let Rose take the lead another few weeks, you wil be amazed how quick she'll get herself in her own wee routine xx

-yes i did try her with a dummy, even that made me feel guilty as she got so excited sucking on it at first, and of course got nothing from it!:wacko:

she just slept for 2 1/2 hours bless her and she still sleeps loads during the day.

maybe i should leave her to it, its the nights that are a killer........ oh what to do!? :)

To be honest, we just left Poppy to it and let her settle into her own routine. It did mean that I was breast feeding her quite a lot but if she cried, it was easy to just pop her on :blush:

We had a semi routine of bath, story, feed and bed by the time was was about 3 months, but that's not to say that she actually went to bed then!

In the day though, I just left her to sort her own routine and she was feeding roughly every three hours and sleeping a LOT in between.

I don't think the fact that you're a nursery nurse makes it any easier when it's your own!!

We didnt have a routine with Molly for ages, we just followed her lead and now she only just in a routine now really, and a great routine its turning out to be too!

To be honest, we just left Poppy to it and let her settle into her own routine. It did mean that I was breast feeding her quite a lot but if she cried, it was easy to just pop her on :blush:

We had a semi routine of bath, story, feed and bed by the time was was about 3 months, but that's not to say that she actually went to bed then!

In the day though, I just left her to sort her own routine and she was feeding roughly every three hours and sleeping a LOT in between.

I don't think the fact that you're a nursery nurse makes it any easier when it's your own!!

I wholeheartedly agree with this. :thumbup:

Just go with the flow sweets-its exhausting yes but promise she'll settle down soon.

I worked in nurseries for 3 years and nannied for 4 before having Brooke-and I was just as lost as you are now :blush: Dont be too hard on yourself-as she gets older, you'll find yourself putting your nursery work into practice.

It does get easier, Promise! It takes someone REALLY special to be a mummy to a preemie :flower:

Hey there,

I am the opposite from the other Mummies and believe in getting babies into a good routine right away - it worked for us. I made sure Archie got his feeds at set times and ensured he napped during the day. Combining both, helped Archie sleep through at an early age.

Do what you feel is right for you and your little one. You are the one that knows best!

Good luck! xx

I was all for routines before Lakai was born so early too! But that flew out the window!!!

I have actually just done what many people have said and let him find his own way into one. And it's really worked well for us, that being said....I think that it differs with each baby. Some may need a routine put in place for them and others like Lakai might find their own.

I do have "rituals" we do, but not actually routines. We feed him at certain times, and he naps around the same time every day on his own. We simply allow that to happen by being home or having him snuggled in the stroller for when he is ready to sleep. We don't have him out and about being over stimulated and getting over tired, you know?

We also bath him at around the same time every other day, about 30 mins before his bed time and feed. We have every thing ready to go for him to sleep after..

We also tend to play with him at the same times every day.

And because we have to feed him at certain times, we do shifts (I stay up late and get up later than my hubby...who goes to bed early and wakes up early with him) and he knows whats and what, thats for sure. If I am not up by a certain time, he lets us know!!

I don't think being a nursery nurse makes it any easier when it's your own hon! Don't beat yourself up for not having ALL the answers...Im thinking even baby doctors are clueless when it's their own. It's just a different playing field.

I think you just go with what you think is best and let the rest fall into place. If you want Rose to be on a certain routine, work towards it by setting up one goal at a time. So if you want her to go to sleep at 8pm, work on that first. Then once its met, then try your next goal. Doing too much too soon will just not work!

Good luck! You're an awesome momma!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"