Old Clothes

BlueWater

Reaction score
So I'm in the process of sorting out my clothes. Basically giving away clothes I no longer wear to charity.
I've decided to give away my clothes if I don't wear them within the next year.
But I have a problem with throwing away clothes. Because I think, They're nice clothes and I 'MIGHT' wear them again or I've only wore them a few times, yet I don't wear them because they have 'memories'.
Or I've simply got too BIG to fit into some clothes and I'll loose weight next month and wear them then....

Anyone have a similar situation?
Or are you totally the opposite?
How often do you get rid of old clothes?
Should we get rid of old clothes?

I sometimes have problems giving clothes away, no matter how ugly or big/small they are. If they have a memory tied to them - they stay. :/ But I do try to go through my clothes frequently. :)

I think that the "one year rule" is quite good. Or if you put clothes you're uncertain about in a box somewhere. If you, after a while, don't miss them or decide to wear those clothes - maybe you can give them away?

I chuck clothes out quite a lot. Usually if I've not worn something in a while I'll wear it for the day and if I fall back in love with it I keep it, but most of the time I remember why I don't wear it anymore and bin it/give it away.

I just sold my wedding dress so clearly I'm not too sentimental :haha:

I don't throw clothes away though, I just put them in storage to Ebay them. Usually I'll have had to not like/not fit something anymore so usually about 2 years since I've worn it.

What about the inside out rule? Go through ALL your clothes & turn them all inside out. Everytime you take something out, wear it & wash it, put it back in the wardrobe the right way. If after a summer & a winter (or 12 months) you still have some clothes that are inside out, i would be inclined to get rid! Either to charity, or cash 4 clothes :)

What about the inside out rule? Go through ALL your clothes & turn them all inside out. Everytime you take something out, wear it & wash it, put it back in the wardrobe the right way. If after a summer & a winter (or 12 months) you still have some clothes that are inside out, i would be inclined to get rid! Either to charity, or cash 4 clothes :)

I'm trying something similar, where I turn the hook of the hanger away from me and then when I wear it I turn the hanger towards me.

But I just can't bear to throw away my clothes, even if it's after a year. think I'm an emotional hoarder :wacko:

I've still got my maternity clothes!! I've got stuff going back years. I refuse to give to charity shops (after working in one and seeing certain things!) and although I desperately need the money, I don't like the idea of putting all my expensive (as in next!) clothes in one of those bags they weigh and give you cash.

All the clothes are too small now, but my sister had just lost a lot of weight so might let her raid it all.

I only have small draws so when they get too cramped I give some bits to charity. About 2/3 times a year . A bit more before this baby as I was losing weight so when something didn't fit I gave it away.

I'm currently trying to sort out my clothes after I realised some pieces I put aside after having DS1 for being a little small but funnily enough have not fit in years. I am not, nor never will be size 8 again!

I've still got my maternity clothes!! I've got stuff going back years. I refuse to give to charity shops (after working in one and seeing certain things!) and although I desperately need the money, I don't like the idea of putting all my expensive (as in next!) clothes in one of those bags they weigh and give you cash.

All the clothes are too small now, but my sister had just lost a lot of weight so might let her raid it all.

Ok I'm intrigued, what happens in a charity shop?
Perhaps you could sell some clothes online. I've tried that and I had no buyers apart from 1. But agreed you'll never get value for your expensive clothes.
And don't get me wrong, I have still got some old clothes, but I still wear them :haha:

I'm awful at getting rid of clothing! I am one of those people the MIGHT wear it someday! Or, I just don't have anything to go with this right now...but maybe I will soon!

I have thought about doing that backwards hanger thing though, but seeing as though I'll probably be moving within this year, it wont work too well. Maybe when I move I'll do it! Maybe...

Ok I'm intrigued, what happens in a charity shop?
Perhaps you could sell some clothes online. I've tried that and I had no buyers apart from 1. But agreed you'll never get value for your expensive clothes.
And don't get me wrong, I have still got some old clothes, but I still wear them :haha:

Haha nothing major just the one I worked at (a small local one) was making no money to give to people, everything was going on rent/wages etc and even when we could help people the boss refused!

I think it just annoyed me too that the majority of people buying clothes there bought stuff purely to sell at boot sales/eBay. I'd rather give the stuff away to someone struggling.

Everyday wear I get rid of them every year, they get worn out, this includes pjs, underwear, house wear, jeans, tops & so on. Expensive stuff, blazers, formal, & party dresses I keep them forever loool. Bags & shoes the same, I have stuff I bought over 10 yrs back. I also keep emergency stuff, I lost weight last year & I was back to my pre-preg weight, so I was able to wear all the things I've been keeping for 4 yrs, but I didn't get rid of my clothes that were 1 size big as we were planning to ttc, I got pregnant & after 8 weeks I needed those as I couldn't fit in the small clothes. I had a MC few weeks back, so now I'm back in my small clothes.

I have space to keep them :)

Everyday wear I get rid of them every year, they get worn out, this includes pjs, underwear, house wear, jeans, tops & so on. Expensive stuff, blazers, formal, & party dresses I keep them forever loool. Bags & shoes the same, I have stuff I bought over 10 yrs back. I also keep emergency stuff, I lost weight last year & I was back to my pre-preg weight, so I was able to wear all the things I've been keeping for 4 yrs, but I didn't get rid of my clothes that were 1 size big as we were planning to ttc, I got pregnant & after 8 weeks I needed those as I couldn't fit in the small clothes. I had a MC few weeks back, so now I'm back in my small clothes.

I have space to keep them :)

:hugs:

I keep hold on to my 'nice' expensive clothes that I wear outside the house, but they're no longer my style or they no longer fit, and I know I need to de-clutter my wardrobe. But I feel sad throwing them away.
And then I've got a bag of clothes under my bed labelled "clothes that do not fit" hoping one day I'll squeeze back into them. Because end of the day, they're expensive and really nice, and I doubt I'll be able to find similar clothes if I did throw them away. I guess I have an emotional connection to my clothes! Find it hard to get rid of worse-for-wear clothes, because hey I can wear them at home!!! :haha:

And as for my PJs and my lounge-wear, my god, I'm the complete opposite to yourself! I've had them for years! I buy new sets, but still keep my old sets. The set I'm wearing now, my trousers and hoodie have small bleach stains on them, but I don't care because they're comfy and I only wear them around family.

I've come to realise, I don't want to willy-nilly throw away my clothes when they were expensive. But then my style changes and I've gained weight :cry:

But if I had the space, I would hold tight onto every piece of clothing!!

I've kept a lot of pre-pregnancy clothes that no longer fit, because I have irrational hopes that someday they will, lol. I had some very nice, expensive clothing before kids when I could afford that sort of thing. Newer clothes since having kids I do tend to go through more regularly, and sell/give away what I don't wear anymore. Most of my clothes now are not as expensive, though, so I guess I'm not as attached to them as my pre-pregnancy clothes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->