Omeprazole dosage?

sophie22

Reaction score
Hi, I had two packs of omeprazole from just before I got pregnant as Ive had a problem with heartburn since my first pregnancy. So it was thought I may have a hiatus hernia but not diagnosed. I found by changing diet it helped the heartburn so didn't use my prescription. It's 20mg once a day. When I asked my midwife on Friday if I could take Zantac she asked if I had tried omeprazole, so I told her about the two packs I had at home. She said to use them. But I've read in the leaflet there is a lower dose of 10mg and I don't know if this would be more appropriate? Is anyone on it and what is their dosage? And are you just on it for pregnancy reasons? I don't know what to do for the best!

They are perfectly fine, Im on 40mg a day and have been all pregnancy and both of my previous pregnancies. I have severe gastro oesophageal reflux disease, even with 40mg I still choke on acid at night which is horrible and I use a large bottle of gaviscon advance every few days. I'm on a cocktail of drugs when not preg but omeprazole is fine during. I'm hoping for an op soon as it is no fun at all this carry on! Hope you get relief xx

i'm on 10mg a day but a high dose si also fine, the dr said there was scope to up it if it stopped working

Thank you, I ended up taking it, I'm such a wimp with tablets I hate even taking paracetamol! But it's getting to be the majority of the day every day now. I was worried because I read it can increase your chance of getting stomach bugs, bad ones, but the amount I'm getting it , not just when pregnant, I figure it's better than causing damage to my oesophagus x

amusingly my 15month old is on double the dose I am..... I have sycronized our doses as when it wears off the pain is horrific, so god knows how she feels

Ive had to start taking my omeprazole again coz of such bad heartburn mine r 20mg. When I mentioned the heartburn to the gp at my 26 week appt she said it was fine to take. Must admit I havent had any since starting it again. Touch wood

Im on 20mg a day and that is the preferred dosage when pregnant xx

Thank you, I've had a bit of heartburn earlier but it went away after lunch, I hope the omeprazole work and its just that they take a while to kick in!

It does take a while to kick in, with babies it can take up to two weeks so hopefully a bit less for adults and their dosage!

It shouldn't take any longer than a few days to kick in for an adult. I've been taking them every day for ten years with no mummy problems :) xx

They work when you take them as they are a proton pump inhibitor which prevents your stomach making too much acid, sometimes it can take a day or so to feel fulk effects xx

I'm on a daily dose of 40mg. It has been a lifesaver! Never had issues with heartburn before pregnancy, but once I hit 2nd tri, it felt like my chest contained the fires of Mordor. If I miss a day I can feel it coming back, so I make sure to take that sucker everyday. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->