Omeprazole for reflux??

Cinderella

Pregnant with number 1
Reaction score
Had a bit of a nightmare night on Saturday, Max has bad reflux, used to overfeed and then changed to stopping eating all together. After only having about 4oz in 12 hours and no wet nappies I took him to the walk in center after hours. The Dr said he looked fine and did the whole, overreacting first time parent thing but after I insisted that he do something they referred me to A&E, and after 6 hours of waiting around finally got admitted to a childrens ward where they diagnosed him with GERD. The worst thing was, by the next morning when we got the diagnoses, he'd still only had a further 4oz by that point and only 1 wet nappy and was shaking almost continuously. But yet the DR still said that he seemed fine, his soft spot wasn't sunken and he was quite happy in himself. I just don't get how a 3mth old baby can ever be fine after only 8oz in 24hrs and one wet nappy, especially as the week before he'd barely been reaching 15oz a day.

Anyways, we left with a prescription for omeprazole, he's been put on 5mg every 24hrs. I've googled and it really seems like this should/might work for him, it seems to be the big gun as far as reflux meds go so i'm really hoping we can turn a corner.

I was just wondering if anyone had their LO on this drug and how did it work for you? How long was your LO on it for? Any side effects or long term issues? Also, how on earth did you get it into your LO? They've just given me tablets, said to put it into 10mls of water, break open the tablet and dissolve the inside, whilst leaving the coating, then syringe 5mls of the fluid into Max. I've tried these past few days and it's so difficult. He hates the taste and spits the majority of it out, then whatever I do get into him he throws up at some point over the next ten minutes. It just feels really frustrating because this drug really could work for him, I just don't see how if I can't get it in him! Any advice would be appreciated!

Not sure how helpful this is but I was given this drug for myself - i had a problem with reflux / stomach before i was pregnant. I found it brilliant and really eased my disconfort -i noticed if i forgot to take it. I was on a high dose for 3 months then a lower dose for another 3. I can't say i had side affects - except I ate more as i didn't get such stomach pain! not sure how it applies to babies! hope this helps

Try replacing the water with something tasty like a small ammount of ribena or squash. Tablets can be really bitter hence why they put a fruity taste with kids medicines such as calpol. As for side effects etc I have no idea, check the blurb that came with the tablets.
Alternitavely buy a jar of the purée baby fruits and dissolve the poweder in 10ml of that and syringe 5mls of the puree into max. It may just help take the bitterness out.
Just a thought! Best of luck xx

luca has been on it since 1 month old. works so good! no side effects! we did up his dose a few times hes on 15 mg now and its working.. he weighs approx. 21 pounds and is 6 mths old

i take the tablet and wet it in between my fingertips then rub my fingers together until its really soft. then i put in in the back corner of his mouth and distract him by singing or dancing goofy so he swallows without noticing! we tried the water mixture and it never ever worked!

Haven't heard of that drug but my Max is on Losec for reflux. I was given the same instructions re water, but Max wouldn't take it so now I just put 5-6 drops onto the tablet and turn it into a paste and he takes that really well. I asked the dr and she said it was fine to do. A paste stays down better :hugs:

i have used this with a lo i used to look after and it def worked although was a devil to get into her as she was tube fed due to v severe reflux we had to disolve tablet and the sediment used to clog the tube. but eventually we did get it in liquid form ( a suspension) they CAN do it bit you have to really push for it!

Thanks ladies... so far we've tried it mixed with milk, baby juice, plain water... i'm currently trying to give it him in his porridge which seems to be going better than from a syringe, but not by much! I've tasted it each time i've given it him though and it really is disgusting, I don't think I could take 5mg let alone him!

He has a follow up on Friday with the paed so i'm really going to push for a suspension if it is available. The stuff she originally gave us was in a plain white box without so much as a leaflet, looks very dodgy! It seems like the cheapest of the generics. I haven't noticed too much of a difference at the moment, he is now taking 3oz of milk at a time which is something, but he's still fussy. But they did say it could take up to a week and he really isn't getting his full dose at the moment so we'll see!

yeah we did get it but i think the hospital pharmacy had to make it up, def push for it it took a while to get it but it is possible. i don't think it tasted particually nice tho.

it took a good 2 weeks for it to kick in for luca

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->