Once you get GD, you always get it?

minties

Complete
Reaction score
I didn't have it with my son, he was born about a week late at 7lbs 4oz so he was on the smaller side. I developed it with my daughter, she was born by elective c-section at 39+2 and was a hair under 8lbs.

I've lost weight this year and have adapted a low carb way of eating. I had an HbA1c taken a couple of weeks ago and the result was great, the first green number on here is 31 and mine was 30, it has been about that since my daughter was 12 weeks old.

https://i65.tinypic.com/2m67b5z.png

My midwife seems pretty sure that I will get it again, but will be able to control it better (I was pretty lazy about it last time, kept eating 'bad' foods etc.

Have you had GD and then had it again in a following pregnancy? How did things turn out for you the second time around?

Hiya, this might not be much use but thought I'd throw my 2p in! I was put forward to be tested for GD with my son (unfortunately we didn't get that far) because of the size of my daughter when she was born vs my height and weight (she was 10lb 1oz and I'm 5ft 5 and 9.5 stone). They said because she was big they thought I may have GD and they didn't diagnose it at the time and now if babies are over a certain weight then they test the mother anyway.

I found this link which was really useful, I hope it helps, I looked at it when pregnant with ds and again now I'm pregnant again x

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/x1042145/ive-had-gestational-diabetes-before-will-i-get-it-again

I'm waiting on my first GTT result so I'm rather interested in how common it is for history to repeat itself.

I had absolutely no markers that made me destined to have GD. I was overweight but nothing serious. Even now I'm classed as overweight (by about 8lbs) but 17lbs less than I was with DS. My last consultant appointment even had the doctor surprised as DS was only 7lbs 10oz. I failed last time but just a couple of points. Wouldn't have known about it if my midwife hadn't decided to send me for a growth scan after measuring 2 weeks ahead at 32 weeks.

I'm dubious though over any claim of how to avoid it. After all the GTT tests to see how the body copes with more or less an overdose of sugar.

I had it last time, failed the gtt at 26 weeks. This time I've had 2 gtt at around 15 and 26 weeks and passed them both (levels were quite low). I'm only 33 weeks so not at the end yet, but so far so good.

I had GD with my last pregnancy, I was tested this time early and I passed it. I have to do another in January, I'm hoping I pass that one too. I don't think its something you get every pregnancy just because you've had it once.

Since I had GD the first time around, I've had to meet with a dietician every month since 16 weeks. Yuck! She told me the chances of escaping GD a second time are about 1 in 4. Also, I need to follow a GD diet now, not because it can prevent GD, but because having a stable blood sugar pattern and not gaining too much too fast are important for that moment when GD starts which may not be detected until I do the GTT again.

My sister had gestational diabetes with her first, and made it through her second pregnancy without getting it. That didn't stop them from constantly testing her though!! They assumed she was going to get it at some point and kept making her drink the nasty glucose.

Thank you very much everyone! I can go for a VBA2C if I don't get GD again, so I am hoping to avoid it.

Thank you very much everyone! I can go for a VBA2C if I don't get GD again, so I am hoping to avoid it.

Here's hoping that you can have your VBA2C even if you do end up with GD again. I've got the go ahead for a VBAC even if I do end up with GD again. I'm just a little wary about another possible induction. Didn't think it was possible to be induced after a c-section but seemingly not.

Looks like I passed the first GTT as I should've heard about any failure by today at the latest. I've got the next one in 4 weeks time, so who knows whether that'll be the same.

Oh crap - so you have to keep getting tested all through pregnancy? I didn't realise that. I'm pleased that you passed your first test though! That's great.

They won't induce here once you've had a c-section, and won't let me go past 40+6 at the latest. I could always insist on a c-section on that date and hope I go into labour before then. I went into labour with my son at 10:30pm at 40+5.

I'm not sure about all the way through pregnancy, but for the UK at least there's meant to be one at 16 weeks (found that out at 20 weeks so had mine late at 21 weeks), and then the normal one from 26-28 weeks. Haven't heard about any beyond that time.

For the induction I'm not entirely sure on the full details, but I think the normal induction methods are altered. Don't think I'll hear any more about it until 36 weeks to go over the birth plan with the consultant.

Got a feeling that if I do get GD again by 26 weeks then I should be able to go right to my due date again. Was given the impression that even getting that far is unusual here.

Just a mini update from my last GTT. Midwife looked at my result today to check that I hadn't been overlooked and was happy to report that my result was super low at just 5.1mmol, which is below that awesome chart that was posted. I just might escape having GD as apparently having low levels after 20 weeks is a good sign :D

I had gd 3 x with no risk factors.....grrrrrr!

It was different each time, actually worst with baby 2. Baby 3 I couldn't tolerate foods I could with baby 2 though.

Weight etc weren't a factor for me x

I had gd with my first, but I swear it was somehow connected to the fact that he was sick, we think he had some sort of genetic disorder that led to his death. Although the doctor's insist it had nothing to do with it.

I'm normal weight and exercise but somehow I failed my 1 hour by a few points. Then had to come back to do my 3 hour test, which i failed the 1 hour again and then failed my 2 hour. I recovered well by the time 3 hours passed. My resting was always normal and I controlled by diet only until delivery at 32 weeks.

Fast forward a year and I'm pregnant again and at 16 weeks (2 weeks to go) I'll take my first glucose challenge. Fun! My hgba1c was great 5.3, tested at 12 weeks. So I'm thinking good thoughts. I'll update again.

I hope I don't have to keep testing :-o I just want cake.

Hoping you pass and get to have the birth you want!

babybearsmom, I don't know what to say apart from a corny sounding "I'm sorry", were you pregnant when you lost your son? Me worrying about GD seems stupid when there are so many other things people are going through. Your HbA1C result sounds great! They've changed how they measure them here but I think mine equates to the same reading, roughly.

I've spoken to my midwife and there is no early testing for GD if you had it previously here. You get tested at 28 weeks as per usual, just have an HbA1C taken in early pregnancy, which I did. My midwife acted like I was being such a pain in the arse asking her about it, she wasn't replying to texts (how you normally contact a midwife here between appointments) so I asked on her (business) facebook page and she had a snotty remark along the lines of ONLY being 11 weeks and why on earth am I worried about all this stuff NOW? All I did was ask. I'm thinking we don't get along and I'll see if the lady I had with Sophie is available.

My gd with dd2 started at 12 weeks - when my sickness stopped. I knew as I was monitoring my bgs. I did that with baby 3 too as my gd with her began at 17 weeks. Which is pretty common in subsequent pregnancies????

I lost my son 3 hours after his birth due to heart complications, that was at 32 weeks gestation. There were a lot of problems with the pregnancy, and I have no risk factor for gd, so when I got diagnosed I for sure thought it may all be connected. Who knows.

I am hoping my second baby will be OK. And hoping I don't have gd this time around!

My doctor said I could wait until 24 weeks since my HgbA1c was so good (here, anything <7 is good). Last I heard my nurse wanted me to do it now, but the doc makes the final call. I had a lot of other blood work yesterday so I'm glad I can wait a while before gd testing.

I'm sorry your midwife was snappy with you!

I got confirmation today that I passed the last GTT with an excellent 5.6mmol. I'm so happy to have escaped having GD again. Brings me a better chance of having my VBAC. :happydance:

Hope when the time comes that you do well too Minties :flower:

Hi ladies,
I've just been diagnosed with gd, didn't have it in my first pregnancy so it's all new to me. One of the big things worrying me from my Google searching is that I'll struggle to breastfeed. Can anyone share their experiences with this? I breastfed my son and would love to do the same
Also, did you need to be monitored all throughout labour?
any tips would be great, I am feeling quite overwhelmed with it all.

Hi ladies,
I've just been diagnosed with gd, didn't have it in my first pregnancy so it's all new to me. One of the big things worrying me from my Google searching is that I'll struggle to breastfeed. Can anyone share their experiences with this? I breastfed my son and would love to do the same
Also, did you need to be monitored all throughout labour?
any tips would be great, I am feeling quite overwhelmed with it all.

I did struggle to breastfeed, but it was down to poor latch, and that my c-section limited any assistance I could give to help get DS into a good feeding position. I did however successfully pump milk for a year though. Don't think I could pin it down to being a consequence of having had GD.

I was monitored the whole way through labour, but really it didn't seem to hinder anything, as least in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->