Ondansetron?

AlyssaDeVaul

Reaction score
Would taking ondansetron for nausea and vomiting be alright for my baby if I'm 10 weeks?
The street name for ondansetron is zofran but being worrisome all the time it makes me wonder.
Does anyone know if the ondansetron 4mg could possibly cause my baby birth defects? Or harm in anyway?

I had it once in my last pregnancy and if these tablets I'm currently taking for severe nausea and vomiting don't work I will be asking for ondanseton too as I know that a lot of people in other countries take it from a Facebook page I'm on for hyperemesis gravidarum sufferers and I believe that if it means I can stop vomiting long enough to drink and eat then that has to be good!

Nausea and vomiting in pregnancy occur in up to 80% of women, with about 15% requiring anti emetic medication. Ondansetron is not recommended by FDA as a first-line option for nausea and vomiting in pregnancy. Past years shocking results came out from a number of studies linking Zofran and other versions of the drug to congenital birth defects. Mothers and families of babies born with serious mental and physical deformities. Initial treatments are lifestyle and dietary modifications. If drug therapy is required, doxylamine/pyridoxine is useful. But do not take any medicines as you own without consulting with your doctor.

My doctor prescribed me the zofran. My little niece had nausea medicine she didn't take that was Ondansetron which is zofran and it was the same mg the doctor prescribed me.

LewisEvans - there is also an equally balancing amount of evidence that Zofran/Ondanestron is not harmful in pregnancy. A much higher percentage of women take it with no issues when compared to those who have problems. And those problems have not yet been attributed to Zofran conclusively. In a lot of cases, it's suspected baby would have sadly been born with an illness anyway. No medicine is FDA approved in pregnancy bar basic painkillers and I think diclegis in the US. We don't have access to diclegis in the UK at present. It's being made available in 2017 apparently.

Lifestyle modifications are simply not enough if you have severe vomiting. It is more dangerous to become dehydrated.

I've had moderate sickness in my first trimester coupled with a severe vomiting phobia. I tried lower end anti sickness but they didn't work. I had a long discussion with my doctor, midwife and a consultant who all recommend I take Ondanestron without question. They presented the above evidence too me with statistics and real life studies and their advice was to take it, it's perfectly safe. So I happily took 3 senior medical professionals advice. I'm still taking 8mg a day at 17 weeks and I've been taking it since 6 weeks. It's that or end up in hospital dehydrated and suffering severe panic attacks that cause me to pass out and usually bash my head!

Taking drugs in pregnancy is a very personal choice. Try to speak to a medical professional and don't use doctor google where you will find the horror stories at the top of the page! And weigh it up based on how ill you are and how you are coping. Hope the sickness passes soon, it's horrible!

LewisEvans - there is also an equally balancing amount of evidence that Zofran/Ondanestron is not harmful in pregnancy. A much higher percentage of women take it with no issues when compared to those who have problems. And those problems have not yet been attributed to Zofran conclusively. In a lot of cases, it's suspected baby would have sadly been born with an illness anyway. No medicine is FDA approved in pregnancy bar basic painkillers and I think diclegis in the US. We don't have access to diclegis in the UK at present. It's being made available in 2017 apparently.

Lifestyle modifications are simply not enough if you have severe vomiting. It is more dangerous to become dehydrated.

I've had moderate sickness in my first trimester coupled with a severe vomiting phobia. I tried lower end anti sickness but they didn't work. I had a long discussion with my doctor, midwife and a consultant who all recommend I take Ondanestron without question. They presented the above evidence too me with statistics and real life studies and their advice was to take it, it's perfectly safe. So I happily took 3 senior medical professionals advice. I'm still taking 8mg a day at 17 weeks and I've been taking it since 6 weeks. It's that or end up in hospital dehydrated and suffering severe panic attacks that cause me to pass out and usually bash my head!

Taking drugs in pregnancy is a very personal choice. Try to speak to a medical professional and don't use doctor google where you will find the horror stories at the top of the page! And weigh it up based on how ill you are and how you are coping. Hope the sickness passes soon, it's horrible!

Thank you for this. I worry so much that my constant nausea and occasional vomiting is going to turn into full hypermesis gravidarum like it did in my last pregnancy and if it does I was planning on asking for ondansetron but after reading what the op said I thought maybe not but now I think I will if I need to!

I'm only 7 weeks pregnant currently on metroclopromide which is sort of working for now but in my previous pregnany medicine seemed to only work for a few weeks and that was it so I'm still worried! :(

I didn't do the right research for it, but there are a bunch of people suing the makers of Zofran for the birth defects it causes.

I'm currently taking it, I tried other nausea medications first that didn't work so my midwife put me on Odansetron. My weight got under 100 lbs and she found it alarming, so the risks outweighed the benefits. There's a small increased chance of a birth defect, but I know that my growing baby wouldn't be receiving many nutrients at all if it weren't for the medication. I pray that my baby will be healthy even though my doctor and I decided that I should take the Odansetron because now I'm able to eat and stay hydrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->