one born every minute usa

Guppy I totally agree with you about women not educating themselves, I've found so many people like that here in the UK. I'm the only one of my friends and in fact anyone I know that has a) given birth at the birth centre (second one waterbirth) rather than the maternity unit and b) had a homebirth. Literally *everyone* I know has been to the maternity unit and not one of them has had a good experience. I tell a lie, two of them did but because their babies went into NICU. Nobody who was low risk has had a good experience there, and yet none of them bothered to educate themselves on the birth centre or homebirth, none of them stood up to the midwives and doctors, they just went along with what the medical people (I say people rather than professionals because I don't think half of them *are* professional :coffee: )

It infuriates me that so many women have had epidurals and worse, c-sections, unneccessarily "because things weren't progressing, I only got to 2cm". You clearly weren't in labour then were you, and you were laid flat on your back with an epidural in already so it's no wonder things weren't progressing!! :growlmad:

xx

Where I live you can't get the Epidural once you're in transition or past 7 cms. I was really shocked that at this hospital you could, but I shouldn't be so shocked since they outlawed homebirth MWs in that state as well.

Can you watch OBEM UK online somewhere? I'd love to see the UK version.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/one-born-every-minute/4od

Hope this link works for you: I know some USA ladies have had some problems, as the site recognises you are out of the UK.
Xxx

Seems to be working, thanks!

You're right - people do need to educate themselves. But it's a very old fashioned system that is still tailing off over here. There auld 'Dr knows best' - 40yrs ago, you would never have questioned him/her.

However, now they build 'em as argumentative as my good self! :haha: And I only learned to question the Doc from experience (you can only mis-diagnose a dislocated shoulder so many times). It just takes time to filter through. The more people read around (or 'google it' as it goes these days :winkwink:) the more will click. And don't forget - telling people your own stories, I mean sitting with a cuppa and actually letting people know, is sharing your own experience. Giving people another view and showing them exactly what is a choice and what is just the Doc's view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->