One time baby aspirin for lyme flare up?

Marumi

36, DS 7 and 2
Reaction score
I am experiencing a lyme flare up today and I was thinking maybe I should take baby aspirin to reduce the inflammation (and pain). It is not too great as I am fairly healed, but I worry it will intefere with my pregnancy.
I am 4 weeks and 3 days along only. Is it okay at this stage? Or should I take Paracetamol?

My doctor is completely against it at any point in the pregnancy, however, many women have used it and done other things not recommended for pregnancy and have had successful pregnancies without issue.

You know your body best. If you have sensitivities to the drug, I personally wouldn't. Make the best choice for you depending on the circumstances.

My OB told me to avoid NSAIDs during pregnancy, like ibuprofen or aspirin. He told me I could take acetaminophen (paracetamol). I'd be safe, especially since babies are more sensitive at the beginning of pregnancy.

Hey, midwife here. Low dose aspirin is fine to take. We're not reccommending paracetamol so much now due to a study linking it to ADHD (I believe, don't panic though it's just one study!).
The low dose aspirin is actually used to help reduce the risk of pre eclampsia in later pregnancy. Women who took it daily had an 80% reduced risk of pre eclampsia vs those who did not.
Other NSAIDS are not good in pregnancy, particularly in the third trimester as they can affect baby's circulation.
Hope this helps
PS low dose!! Not full strength

My OB had me take a low dose baby aspirin every day of my pregnancy. I had a history of miscarriage so that's why he suggested I take it. I'm not advocating for you taking it as I think these things are best discussed with your own OB or midwife.

I agree with dazed. I actually have MTHFR and was told to take a baby aspirin once a day all throughout pregnancy. I just heard other NSAIDS like ibuprofen naproxen or full strength aspirin are no good. Good luck!

Hey, midwife here. Low dose aspirin is fine to take. We're not reccommending paracetamol so much now due to a study linking it to ADHD (I believe, don't panic though it's just one study!).
The low dose aspirin is actually used to help reduce the risk of pre eclampsia in later pregnancy. Women who took it daily had an 80% reduced risk of pre eclampsia vs those who did not.
Other NSAIDS are not good in pregnancy, particularly in the third trimester as they can affect baby's circulation.
Hope this helps

I have the 100 here, would that be okay?

And I don't seem to have inflammation on most days since becoming pregnant, but I wonder if I should take it just befire flare up time too (usually when I get my period and ovulate, not sure how this will be in pregnancy)

I was advised to take baby aspirin daily because of former preeclampsia.

Hope this helps
Thanks for your reply. I read studies about low dose aspirin to reduce risk of preeclampsia but only to take it after second trimester starts. I haven't seen my OB yet so we haven't talked about it but I'm definitely interested since I had preeclampsia last time. I did see the study about correlation between acetaminophen and ADHD but it was only for long term use (a month or more). Use of the drug for less than a week even had a negative correlation.

Sorry if I went full-nerd on you LOL. I love women's health even when it's not my area (I work in healthcare too). :)

100mg is what I usually prescribe

It's best to take as soon as you know it's an intra uterine pregnancy. Pre eclampsia is a placenta pathology and the baby asprin really helps whilst the placenta is developing. Later on it helps make the blood move easier fro mum to baby. That's a rough explaination!

The research also says is best to take it at night. It reduces the risk by 80% but only if you remember to take it 90% of the time.

:) Hope that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->