Only just started to ntnp but what about folic acid?

henny

mum to two beautiful boys
Reaction score
With my previous pregnancies, they were planned so was taking folic acid before conceiving but have now decided to ntnp but am not taking floic acid, should I wait till I have taken them for awhile?

I've read it takes about 12 weeks for the folic acid to build up in your system so if there's any chance of you getting pregnant, I would start the folic acid supplements now. Good luck to you!

Definitely start taking it now.
I have read that it's considered best if ALL women of child-bearing age (whether thinking of ttc or not) were to be taking the higher dose of 400micrograms per day, just in case they get pregnant. It is SO important in such an early stage of foetal development that you really wouldn't want to miss out on it being there, ready.
You can get folic acid quite inexpensively from online shops, so it's definitely worth getting yourself a long-term supply.
Also, men benefit from taking folic acid, too, as it's needed for making dna. Some studies suggest taking it to avoid chromosomal abnormalities.

If you really want to avoid taking pills, eat more leafy veg like spinach, orange juice has it, avocadoes, asparagus, any citrus fruit, although folic acid is easily damaged by cooking, hence the advice to take supplements. About 80% of people don't get nearly enough folic acid from the normal diet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->