Only pumping 1 oz in a day

Reaction score
I have been pumping every two hours for 2 days plus one evening now. I also pump once at night. I know some people just are not able to pump milk but is there anything else I can do? Someone here said they do power pumps of 20 min on 15 off and 10 on which I do at least once a day. My son stopped nursing once I started pumping which is upsetting. Yesterday afternoon it seemed like I had more milk and Asher actually nursed 15-20 min on each boob. I cried and was really encouraged until this morning when it didn't seem like I had much milk in my boobs. He has nursed a little but not enough. I am going to get some mothers milk tea tomorrow. I have tried fenugreek but my dr said it only works if you smell it in your urine and I was up to 4pills 3x a day and still didn't smell it do I stopped taking it. I heard beer is good for supply, is non alcoholic beer safe to drink and has anyone had any experience with it? I just started eating oatmeal for breakfast and before I go to bed.

Could I be pumping wrong? I have a medela double electric pump. Is there anything else I could be doing? I have heard about the tube you put into lo's mouth while he feeds but I want that to be a last ditch effort because everyone I know that has tried it has quit soon over.

This is such a roller coaster. One moment I am feeling defeated, the next encouraged, and then thoughts of quitting pop into my head. I really don't want to quit. I love nursing him and would love to make it to 6 months and even a year.

I'm so sorry you're having difficulties. It sounds like you are doing all the right things, you are a rock star! Have you checked to see if the breast shields/flanges are the correct size for you? Three weeks in to pumping every 3 hours I realized mine were too small and causing pain and most likely were not drawing milk out very efficiently. I got larges to replace the mediums that came with my medela in style pump and it has made a difference in comfort and the amount I'm expressing.

Maybe try warm compresses and massage before and during pumping? I think that's really helped for me too.

Maybe try pumping one more time at night if you can manage it.

Hang in there mama!

thank you :) I just ordered a larger size shield, I hope that is the problem. It is so frustrating! Now my son barely nurses and I think it is because I am expressing all the milk out when I pump every 2 hours. I am also going to add another pump at night. I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to. I have been spoiled and my son has been sleeping through the night pretty early, which is probably another reason why my supply dropped. Should I still pump every 2 hours even though he eats every 3? Since I pump every 2, there seems to not be any more milk when it is time for him to eat.

Also, my pump starts out pumping fast and then goes to a slower more powerful pump. I always go back to the fast one because the other setting hurts. Should I not be doing this?

Thank you for all your help!

from what I have gathered from my BF journeys and I might be wrong, your milk supply is accumulated during night time after 1am. Once DD stopped feeding at night, my milk supply dropped dramatically. Also yes, agree with PP, it really depends on the pump/size: I am able to pump 8 oz in 20 minutes or less from Medela hospital grade, I am not able to pump even 3 oz at 6 am when my supply is just bursting with the generic brand.
Don't listen to your doctor, fenungreek does magic, 3 times a day 4 pills should work. It does take a couple days, but could be a week or so.
I haven't tried beer but when we stayed in NICU for five days, the nurse there swore by it and she has three kids.

Thanks! I guess it's back on fenugreek for me. I think I might just try the beer. Not a big drinker at all but if it works than it's worth it. How do you know if the pump is hospital grade or not? I can't imagine pumping 8oz! Heck I can't imagine pumping 1-2oz at this point lol. Breastfeeding is getting expensive!

Thanks! I guess it's back on fenugreek for me. I think I might just try the beer. Not a big drinker at all but if it works than it's worth it. How do you know if the pump is hospital grade or not? I can't imagine pumping 8oz! Heck I can't imagine pumping 1-2oz at this point lol. Breastfeeding is getting expensive!

All the gear really adds up, doesn't it?? Between my pump, special bottles and nipples, sterilizer, nipple shields, extra flanges, nursing tea and supplements, a hands-free pumping bra (DEFINITELY recommend if you don't have one, got the simple wishes brand on amazon and it's saved my life)... It's gotten to be expensive for sure. Thank goodness insurance has covered the TEN visits we've had to the lactation consultants...

BUT... It's worth it. :) Definitely stick with the fenugreek as PP said. I am not a drinker myself but might try the beer as well.

What kind of pump are you currently using? Mine starts out fast which I believe is to simulate the baby sucking before let-down. The slower, deeper (sometimes painful) setting is supposed to draw out more milk once let-down has started (I believe!). Do you have a range of settings to choose from or just fast and slow? If you have more options than that I would start where it's almost painful them turn it down until it's comfortable (what my LC recommended). I use a setting that is a little over the middle setting on the dial. Sometimes I turn it up a bit higher depending on how I'm feeling.

Breast massage and warm compresses while pumping seem to help a lot too.

I do massage my breast while pumping, I need to try the warm compress. I just got the hands free pumping bra, and it is wonderful! Pumping was so difficult without it so I didn't really pump much. I do have a pump that has a dial too. It makes sense that the fast setting helps with the let down.

I had a great night last night! Asher nursed for 15 min in one boob and 20 on the other! He still took a 6oz bottle but at least he nursed for a long time. He also nursed for 10 min this morning :) I hope my supply doesn't suffer because I slept through my alarm last night :| I went 8 hours without pumping :( I started the mothers milk tea but I think I'm gonna put the beer on hold because it stills has a bit of alcohol in it. I'm worried about what will get to Asher. I can't wait for my bigger breast shields to arrive, I hope that helps me pump more. As of this morning I feel encouraged, but that can change any minute lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->