Opinions please... Undecided.

Of course there are cons. Baby may be too mother-dependent, you cannot delegate baby feeding to someone else, you need to watch your diet, esp at first, cos everything you eat affects the baby.

These aren't necessarily true rainstorm- don't mean to call you out just don't want to give the mama false information:) Most baby's handle mother's diets well.. mostly just myths. Cows Milk is the only real ingredient that some babies are sensitive too. And as far as mother-dependent.. bfing forms a great bond between mother and baby, but I wouldn't call this a con.

When you say "cons" to bfing, I guess I'm not sure what you're referring to? There are more "risks" associated with formula... such as, access gas in the baby's system, more prone to colic, more prone to illness, etc.

I absolutely love love love bfing. It is an amazing bond between mother & baby,and it makes my life easy!! You only need to take one thing with you wherever you go- yourself. The benefits are astounding. The hormones released during bfing will help with bonding, as well as healing post partum. It is a truly beautiful experience. I am going to cry my eyes out when my days of nursing are over I cherish the moments that much. Please give it a try... it may come more natural to you than you think

I loved breastfeeding! I did it for 13 months and I only stopped because I got pregnant. And of course I love the bond, but not all mothers feel the same way. Lo and I spend a lot of time together because of his nursing habits, and many moms thought I was crazy for nursing him for such a long time. So I'm trying to give her the big picture so she can decide what's best for her.

no matter what you decide, as long as baby is being fed, THATS what really matters.

I have done both, my son was a nightmare experience. It was a VERY LONG time before I was ok with myself for it not working out, despite trying everything. I didn't even want to try with my daughter. But I am glad that I did.

Bottles are easier in some aspects, but not in others. The cleaning, mixing, measuring gets tedious. middle of the night feeds were far more bothersome.

Clusterfeeding blows. your nipples will likely hurt for a few weeks, and its totally normal for them to hurt. daddy can't really get up to do the feeds if you need a rest.

but having done both, I would choose to breastfeed.

It sounds like you are more afraid of the "what if I can't?" rather than outright not wanting to. Which is a totally normal fear for a first time mama.

I say give it a try. Breastfeeding does not have to be an all or nothing relationship. You could breastfeed 4 times a day and formula feed the rest. I have a few friends who have used this approach and been very happy with it. You may be blessed with a child who latches perfectly, is efficient at removing milk, and is easy to nurse.

best of luck :hugs:

Personally i think you should try, it may work out just fine. Ifyou go into it knowing you are giving it a test run you may not feel bad if it doesnt work out.

When we were talking a while ago on here about a better slogan than "Breast is best", which has a bunch of problems with it: breast isn't best, it's the biological norm, what baby's body - and mother's - expects, so things that are presented as pros of BFing are in fact not, they're just the biological norm, and formula doesn't meet those standards, IYSWIM, rather than formula being the norm and BF being "best". Anyway, one poster came up with "every feed counts" and everyone loved it. Perhaps think along those lines? That every BF you give LO makes a difference, and take it one feed at a time? If you decide to switch to FF, you can know that every BF you gave LO did him/her good and focus on that achievement?

Regarding meds, I'd push to see if a BF-suitable medication exists. Without wanting to pry, if the meds are for depression, not BFing can increase your risk of postnatal depression so it'd be in your interests to at least BF a few weeks (the study I read said 4 was enough to make a difference in rates of PND) and wean slowly for a gentle change in hormones for your body.

I have friends who use(d) formula whose babies/toddlers are very mom-dependent. To be honest I think that's a normal baby thing and not a breastfed baby thing.

This exactly! Both of mine wanted nothing to do with daddy for a long time. DS (formula fed) was well past 2 before daddy was accepted as a suitable option to me. DD (breast fed) is more willing at 12 months, but generally prefers mama...

I was not a breast fed baby and neither was anyone else in my family. I actually got a lot of negative feedback from my family that it was going to be too hard with working. I nursed my now almost 7 year old for 6 months and then I just couldnt do it anymore, I was 20, and switched her to formula. I breastfed my son for the full 12 with no problems and pumped at work through the duration. I plan on breast feeding my new bean also for the full 12 as well. Honestly, its free milk. Formula is a TON of money and the amount you go through in a week will shock you! Night time feedings were a breeze too, you don't have to get up and make a bottle and heat it, you just roll over, pull out your guns and do your thing. Also, I can't credit nursing to this for sure but, knock on wood, neither of my children have ever been really sick. No ear infections in over 6 years! I have only had to take my daughter to a sick appointment once because she had the flu and just wouldn't eat for days. My son has never been really sick. Of course you'll get the runny nose here and there but that's it. If you can try and nurse I would totally go for and not just write it off. When your milk comes in those first days it's going to be very painful, don't let that discourage you, it will pass. Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->