Opinions please?

Leanna5813

Reaction score
So we shared our baby name ideas with my fil and his girlfriend the other day. If its a girl we have decided on Elli May, a boy we are leaning towards Anthony Mason but not sure about that one yet. Well my fil said Elli May sounds trashy and redneck. :(

So upsetting! When we decided on Jason Michael for our son he also had unkind things to say about that. Does our girl name really sound that bad?

I'm also looking for ideas for a boy name. Nothing that starts with a J because we are keeping the middle names starting with M. Mine is Marie, my husband and sons are Michael. If our new baby is a boy we want the middle name to be Mason. So I would just like some ideas please. :D

How about Eleanor May and Ellie or Elle as a nickname? I don't think it's a bad name at all but I understand the association.

Ellie-may is quite redneck but I dont see it as bad, id be more put off by how common it is (although its died down the last few years)

I agree with above, to make it sound more 'classy' you could use:

Elinore
Elisabeth
Ellison
Elliott
Elyssa
Elsinore

or

Maybelle

boys names:

Steven
Payton
Marcus
Louis
Thomas
Tristan
Carl
Peter
Lucas
Wyatt

How about Eleanor May and Ellie or Elle as a nickname? I don't think it's a bad name at all but I understand the association.

We originally liked Elanor but thought it sounded really old. I think in the end, despite what anyone else thinks, we are sticking with Elli...I just never thought it sounded redneck. Of course where we come from everyone is a redneck so it wouldn't really be a big deal I guess.

i wouldn't say Elli May is redneck, but definitely southern. but that's if it's her first name. unless you're yelling at her because she's in trouble, how often are you going to say Elli May? it will just be Elli, maybe El when she's a teen.

I like Eleanor. maybe on her birth certificate it can say Eleanor but you call her Elli? that way when she gets older she has a choice?

I would also suggest a full name (Eleanor, Elise, Ellen, etc) and then call her Elli. Elli is cute on a little girl but as an adult she should have a choice other than Elli or El, and a full name might be more helpful for her to get career opportunities, etc. But if you really love just Elli as a name, there's nothing wrong with that either. It seems quite unique just as her full name. I also agree if it was Elli-May it would sound a little more redneck but seems like she would mostly be referred to as Elli, which seems fine to me.

Jason Michael is such a nice name, and Jason & Elli go very well together!

Anthony Mason - Jason & Anthony go well but not sure Anthony Mason flows as easily?

Suggestions:
Elliot Mason
Kyle Mason
Christopher Mason
Henry Mason

Just thought I'd point out that Jason and Mason rhyme. Not sure if that alters your choice, but thought it's worth pointing out ;)

I'm British so have no idea if it's classed as redneck but the name choice doesn't seem trashy to me at all.

Is May an important name that you are for sure wanting to keep? Because that is the part of the name that makes me think redneck. If you want to keep Elli, I'd suggest using:

Elli Michelle
Elli Makayla
Elli Marie
Elli Maurine
Elli Morgan

I think your FIL is reminded of The Beverly Hillbillies when he hears the name. It reminds me of Ellie Mae on the show, but I think it is very pretty, nonetheless.

I know 6 Ellie may's they all vary in age between 2-10years It's very popular in the uk it's still a nice name tho x

It's a really common name in the UK at the moment which puts me off it. Also variants of it so different spellings or a different hyphened name instead of May so rose, jade etc.

X

Just to answer everyone responses at once:

I'm in the US. Elli would be her first name, and May her middle. May is a permanent decision, in honor of my MIL and my sister. I also am aware that Jason and Mason rhyme and it does put a little doubt in my decision. I do agree now that I think about it that she should have the choice. I will discuss with my husband naming her Eleanor and nicknaming her Elli.

Either way I find out what it is on Feb 26th! Thanks for everyones responses.

Also, some other alternatives to Eleanor, if you don't like that, are:

Eloise (el-OH-eez)
Elana
Eliza
Elliot
Elizabeth
Elsie

Good luck!

I think Elli May is cute! If you are
Looking for variations, I have a cousin that just named her daughter Ellamay. They just put Ella and May together and then chose a different middle name for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->