Opinions?

MrsHamstra

Mr.&Mrs. Cable
Reaction score
My Childhood friend and I are 2 weeks apart in pregnancy. Funny huh? I have known this girl since she was 4 years old and I was 8 years old.

I struggled for 3.5 years to become pregnant her's came as a shock.
2 things I look forward to after baby is 1. being able to cross my legs and feel like a lady again and 2. tanning. My husband is very supportive and involved in our lives as to where her guy is not. She said she can not wait to tan either. So I suggested if he refused to watch the baby while she go tan just wait till after a feeding and then bring her with you. All the rooms lock and you will be right there. The bed shuts and she will be sleeping in her car seat anyways so what is 15 minuets to tan? I personally see no harm in it. but she is so scared about what other people would think of her. Seriously taking 15 minuets to relax and do something nice for yourself 2 or 3 times a week is not being a bad mom. and I think that's what she is worried about. No woman wants to be viewed as a bad mother. Honestly my kids will always come first but when knowing your baby's schedule and agenda why not? it wouldn't even bother me if my session was interrupted. and had to get out and get dressed and leave. I wouldn't mind.

So what would your thought be if you sat in a tanning salon and a woman walked in with a car seat signing into tan? what would be your initial reaction be? I've never seen it but I have seen someone bring their toddler in with them and made them sit down on the stool while in there with their favorite toy. I did think it would be hard with a toddler but a 8 week old baby I don't see the harm in momma getting some light.

YES YES I have researched the Do's and Don'ts of tanning and breastfeeding. It is safe. cover the nipples, NO LOTION ON THE BOOBS. So we are good on that info.

I would say it's okay as long as baby is covered. I know a lot of light escapes from the bed and I'm sure that wouldnt be good for baby, but as long as he/she is covered and protected from the light I would say go for it.

Well tanning itself isn't healthy for anyone BF or not especially that regularly, I would suggest she gets a spray tan if it's that important and she can keep the baby in view :)

Well tanning itself isn't healthy for anyone BF or not especially that regularly, I would suggest she gets a spray tan if it's that important and she can keep the baby in view :)

Agree with above poster :)

Its something I am looking forward too after having baby too. I don't see the problem with it:flower:

My initial thought would not be good, honestly. But ask me why, and I'm not sure I could give you a reasonable answer, other than worrying about the baby getting any of the light at all.
Disclaimer, I think sunbeds are awful anyways, and that often seems a bit of a faff.

If she's worried do you live close enough that you could watch the baby? I've never been to a tanning salon so I have no idea what people would think if they saw someone in there with a baby.

At my tanning salon you're not allowed to bring children in the room with you. Big fat sign posted on the door so she might want to check if it's even ok.

Even if it were ok, I'd never do it. If I were her, I would make OH step up to the plate - it's his baby too and she shouldn't let him skate by. Like you said, it's only 15-20 minutes so an hour tops with a short commute. He could handle that.

as long as the door locks, she's able to see and hear the baby the whole time (some times the beds and fans plus radio can be noisy) and the baby isn't getting any of the light on him/her it shouldn't be an issue. no need to try to talk you or her out of tanning, i'm sure you already know the cons! I used to tan, too, when i was younger but now that i'm in my 30s and i'm getting sun spots on my face i'm OK with being pale. I'll still be in the sun but with SPF 30. Vitamin D is good for you!

At all costs spray tans are to be AVOIDED while breastfeeding. The chemicals in that spray get soaked into your skin and that's shown to be bad for baby. Tanning though you have to use no lotions which I don't not after getting a base tan I never put lotion on. After your done put on jergens or aloe to hydrate you. But no Tanning lotions while breastfeeding. They do mention vasaline while BF baby and tanning but nothing ever on your boobs or nipples. Tan those for about 5 mins each time and cover with a towel.

She's half Mexican and half white she's always been able to get a tan rather quickly. I wasn't allowed to tan until 18 and even then I didn't start going until 21. I'm now 24 and tan only winter months. So after my daughter is born summer is around the corner. I still think bulbs are better than direct sunlight. No addict or anything I go twice a week. But yea I don't want to look like leather when I hit 30 :)

I don't think the baby would be allowed in with her anyway. I worked at a salon for 2 days (lol, it makes it worse that I'm so pale I practically see-through and didn't really fit the physical type those places tend to hire) and one of the first rules we learned was that no one under 13 was allowed in the room even with parental permission (I remember because it struck me as strange because I remember my very naturally tan mother taking me to tanning beds when I was much younger than 13). I guess it might vary by state, but it was well-enforced in SC at the time and we've seen many years' worth of anti-tanning bed sentiment since then.

Can you not just go together, one stays in the waiting area with two bubs and a magazine and then switch? Less stress for all involved (babies get watched properly ánd your tanning time is proper your own) Considering these seem short sessions, it could work?

I would think it highly inappropriate, those tanning beds are now banned in a lot of countries due to the high number of girls in their 20s getting cancer from using them

If you are good friends, I would just offer to watch her kiddo for those 15-20 min instead or hassle of bringing her into tanning salon and being stressed out with "what if's"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->