organ donation - opt-out system

They don't take the whole eye. Just the cornea which is the thin seethrough bit right on the outside of your eye.

As much as I understand the desire to keep things sacred, we also need to understand the body, after death, is symbolic. There's no reason to hoard your organs after death, when numerous lives could be saved.
I LIKE that this system changes organ donation to default, I hate knowing that people can (and may) opt out. Of course, it's necessary to maintain our liberties, etc... and I wouldn't suggest we should be forced. But really... how selfish to keep such precious commodities after death when you can no longer use them, and they will simply rot away...

(Disclaimer: I DO acknowledge that there are religious beliefs that I don't know enough about to mention by name, for whom this would be terribly sacrilegious. I can understand that.)

While I might be willing to give my organs away, if my child was to pass suddenly, the last thing on my mind would be donating, and I would hate to think that they just took the organs without me knowing. It is not a logical thing, but not everything has be logical to be valid, and I agree that people should be allowed to feel how they feel about not donating. x

It's a horrible, horrible thing to think about a child dying...and there's no telling how I'd REALLY react if faced with it irl, but I think... I would gladly approve organ donation for my children. I would be grateful to know that my tragedy at least had a silver lining... that my inevitable grief at least had something to offer to spare another parent the same grief.

(I know... I don't think it applies, I think it's an over 18 thing, but it just made me think...)

If somebody opts out but then needs an organ transplant, they should not be denied. That received organ might change their views about donating their own. Or it might not. But to deny someone the right to life simply because they have personal reasons to not donate their own organs is childish.

For the record, I have signed up to be an organ donor. And they can take my eyes. I'll have new ones where I'm going, anyway.

I think that's a great set-up. Here, they asked me if I wanted to be an organ donor when I turned 18 and got my drivers license renewed. I assume they ask everyone the same question. I said yes. I won't need any of my organs after I'm dead anyway.

If somebody opts out but then needs an organ transplant, they should not be denied. That received organ might change their views about donating their own. Or it might not. But to deny someone the right to life simply because they have personal reasons to not donate their own organs is childish.

For the record, I have signed up to be an organ donor. And they can take my eyes. I'll have new ones where I'm going, anyway.

The first bolded bit, I think its unfair to refer to people's beliefs as childish, regardless of how at odds they same to be with your own belief or anyone else's.

The second bolded bit made me laugh..it is true. lol x

All for it, excellent idea. :thumbup:
I understand not wanting to take someones heart or eyes before i had Evelyn i felt that way, now i feel that i would give everything and hope that someone else would if my daughter needed it.

The first bolded bit, I think its unfair to refer to people's beliefs as childish, regardless of how at odds they same to be with your own belief or anyone else's.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I didn't mean it's childish that someone doesn't want to donate their organs based on beliefs. I was saying I feel it's childish to deny someone lifesaving organs on the basis that they didn't want to donate their own....

great system.

robinator - from what i understand, anyone who receives an organ cannot donate due to the anti-rejection drugs they have to take for the rest of their lives. I do understand your point though, should anyone really ever be denied treatment based on their own choices.

Saying that if there were two people who both needed an organ and at similar priorities on the list, one who had said they wouldn't donate, through the opts out system, who is more deserving? I'm glad i dont make those decisions anyway. I does generally annoy me when someone says i would accept an organ but i wont donate, seems really selfish, but then i agree its not right to deny one to anyone either.

As for the eyes thing, its weird but when i was a teenager i opted out of the eyes, everything else was fine lol, now i don't care at all, the can take whatever they need from me, I dont need them any more, and if my eyes could give someone sight, then please take them.

^^ I'm glad I wouldn't have to make the choice between two people, either.

I think it's a great idea. Like someone else said, a lot of people would give an organ but never actually get around to it. And if you feel that strongly about NOT giving your organs then I'm sure you will find the time to take yourself off the register.

It's also important to let your loved ones know that you want to be a donor as even if you are on the register they still ask next of kin's permission.

I used to be funny about donating my eyes (or cornea) but now I think it would be a wonderful thing to give someone the gift of sight or better sight.

I also find it sad that something like 95% of people would accept a blood transfusion, yet only 4% of the population that could donate blood actually do.

Is that the percentages? That is sad :( I'm not allowed to donate blood here because of living in the UK during the whole BSE/CJB thing and I have a tendency to anemia but otherwise I would like a shot! I tried when I was 18 but was refused cos of the anemia :( My mum donates loads though.

Yeah, just checked, Guardian have an article on it. It's actually 96% of people would expect to receive blood but only 4% of people donate!

The CJB thing (unless you had it!) obviously doesn't stop people donating in the UK (otherwise no one would be allowed!) but the anaemia does prevent you here. You have to have the finger prick before you can donate. I'm donating later this month. I only donated once then I became pregnant so need to get back on it (hubby is way ahead of me on the donation front now, I need to catch up :haha:)

Yes there is a definite imbalance between donating and receiving, and its symbolic of everything these days. People are more wiling to receive than to give.

I am a blood donor, and always donate (except during pregnancy and the months post-partum), but for some reason, I see donating organs as a bigger thing, and I am sure loads do. Part of it maybe that you are forced to face your own mortality, which is something the donor register does not address.

When coming up with their policies re advertising, they need to address people's fears and beliefs about death, and what happens to their bodies. They shouldnt just sit complacently thinking that logic will prevail, because as I mentioned before, it very rarely does, especially when its sudden death.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I didn't mean it's childish that someone doesn't want to donate their organs based on beliefs. I was saying I feel it's childish to deny someone lifesaving organs on the basis that they didn't want to donate their own....

Oh sorry, I think its me then that misunderstood you. I see what you mean now x

Yeah, just checked, Guardian have an article on it. It's actually 96% of people would expect to receive blood but only 4% of people donate!

The CJB thing (unless you had it!) obviously doesn't stop people donating in the UK (otherwise no one would be allowed!) but the anaemia does prevent you here. You have to have the finger prick before you can donate. I'm donating later this month. I only donated once then I became pregnant so need to get back on it (hubby is way ahead of me on the donation front now, I need to catch up :haha:)

Yeah you'd have no donators in the UK if they banned like they do in other countries!

But I am very grateful to all blood donors as I had to have a transfusion when pregnant.

Ive tried to donate every year since turning 18, im always too anaemic or pregnancy lol! Grrrr ... so annoying as i really want to donate.

My OH is an blood donor but its a nightmare getting it done here, when ever he has we have waited hours, and most are appointment only and turn you away even if there is only one other person there. He has tried 3 times to give in the last 2 months and its impossible! lol! reminded me to look up if there is anything around though so thanks. I usually call and they say sorry its full! shocking.

Same here when I tried to give blood the nurse couldnt find a vein funny thing is i had a blood test a couple days later and that nurse found one straight away :dohh:

The last time i went the place was closed and its out of the way for me to get too as i dont go into the city centre often so might try again in the christmas holidays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->