OT - UK teens & sex

Found this:

Age of consent is the age that you're allowed to have sex. So if you're thinking about doing it, you'd better check out the laws and guidelines here first...

What is it?
The age at which you can legally have sex.

What are the rules?
In England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales we have to be 16 or older to have homosexual (gay) or heterosexual (straight) sex.
'Sex' means penetrative sex, oral sex or masturbating together.
What happens if you have underage sex?
The law sees it as sexual assault - it's a criminal offence. This is because in the eyes of the law we are unable to give informed consent to sex when still a child.

A boy who has sex with a girl under 16 (17 in NI) is breaking the law. Even if she agrees.
If she is 13-15, the boy could go to prison for two years.
If she is under 13 he could be sentenced to life imprisonment.
A girl age 16 or over who has sex with a boy under 16 can be prosecuted for indecent assault.

The law isn't there to make life difficult. It's there to protect us. Everyone is ready for sex at different ages. But the law has to generalise. To protect those who are most vulnerable, from exploitation.

There is no law against asking questions. Or finding out about sex. What it means, how to do it, how to protect ourselves from the consequences: pregnancy, STIs. And broken heart.

So, once you're 16 it's OK to have sex?
It's legal, except with someone who's in a 'position of trust' over us. This includes teachers, carers and doctors, who we trust to look after us. It's illegal for them to have sex with under-18s in their care.

Just because we've blown out 16 candles on our birthday cake, doesn't mean we're ready for sex. Do what feels right for you. Just make sure you understand what sex is about and get clued-up on safe sex and contraception before you do anything.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/advice/factfile_az/age_of_consent

I lost my V at 15 to my 17 yr old bf. My mum found out and made me go down the police station and make a statement. He arrested, given a "firm talking to" and let off.

It's not often that anyone is actually in serious trouble from having sex (obv unless its rape) unless one
person is under 14 and the other person knows so.

Although that doesn't sound that serious he'll still have a criminal record as as soon as you are arrested you are inputted onto the police national computer and he'll always have a record for I think engaging a child under 16 into sexual activity.

Not sure if he'll have to declare it forever but it'll always be on his record.
No. He won't have a criminal record just for being arrested, unless he accepted a caution (in which case he is admitting an offence).

An arrest will go on the PNC, and will come up if he, at any point, applies for a job requiring an enhanced criminal record check, but he will not have to declare it as a matter of course as an arrest does not equal a record - only a caution or conviction through the courts can do this (as an aside, the offence must also be recordable to go down on a record, for example, speeding is a conviction but will not appear as a criminal record as it is not a recordable offence)

On the issue of prosecution, for the CPS to proceed, they must consider whether or not a prosecution is in the public interest or not. For the vast vast majority of cases they simply will not be able to justify this in situations where teenagers have had sex underage.

I think the law needs to be changed. I know a girl who was 16 and her boyfriend was 17 when they had sex ( same as myself incidentally) and when they broke up she got angry and pressed charges against him. In my eyes it's completely unfair. I think it's different if there is a bigger age gap like say 14/18 but if there is only a year in age difference it really shouldn't be a criminal offence. It's always the boy that gets blamed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->