Our families live 2,000 miles apart. What to do?!

heyyydayyy

Reaction score
Right now, my OH and I live near my mom's side of the family, but in December we're moving 2,000 miles to where his family is. We just got engaged and I'm totally confused on where to have the wedding. Our budget is very limited. His family doesn't have the finances to fly out for a wedding, and my grandparents are too old to be traveling and I'm not willing to compromise them as guests. What do I do? I have one option in mind but I'm not sure how well it would go over. Here's what I was thinking:

Every summer, my family vacations to Lake Tahoe, and there is an absolutely beautiful bay there with a scenic view area. In the past I've seen small weddings there, no chairs, just the bride and groom, officiant, photographer, and a few guests that stand rather than sit. I was thinking that next year when we vacation there, we can have a quick ceremony with my family at the bay, then a casual reception around the cabins we stay at (we all rent separate cabins, but they are all side by side and right on the lake). Then, after vacation ends and we fly back, we can have another small ceremony and reception with OH's family where I can have a proper venue and decorate the way I envisioned my "dream wedding". Is it ridiculous to have two weddings? I don't want either side of the family to miss out on anything and I feel it's absolutely impossible to have one wedding that everyone can come to! :dohh:

Oh gosh that is a problem.

Have you spoken to your family about it at all?

Half of my family (aunty and cousins) live a plane trip away so they wont be coming but im going to get it recorded for them and maybe see if i can get skype going for my aunty who cant travel x

We had a similar problem which we solved by getting married on a beach in Hawaii with just the two of us and then having two small receptions (one near his family and the other near mine). This was the perfect thing for us to do!

I think that every couple should have the wedding that they want and to hell with everybody else's opinion (particularly if they aren't paying for any part of it). If you want two weddings/receptions, I say go for it! Good luck and try not to stress too much about it!

Same problem here, im Canadian and OH is English, we live in in the UK and are having our wedding here as its easier to plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->