Our First Garden!!!

HappiestMom

Spcl Nds Girl + twn boys + girl
Reaction score
Didnt see a gardening forum so thought I would post this here..maybe we'll get one started..

Im from southeast USA and home gardens are very big here..I grew up always having a garden..pretty much everyone in my family has one or had one at some point...

Hubby had a sectioned off space about 10ft x 10ft if Im being generous for a compost pile and this year I decided I wanted us to have a small garden just with the stuff that we buy most from the store...which is tomatoes, bell peppers and hot peppers (all for hubby..I dont eat them) and zucchini and watermelon for us both

Everything but the zucchini was bought as seed and started in the house until they were big enough to plant and until the weather was right for it.. the zucchini are "wild' as in we had just tossed some out in the compost at some point and last summer they grew and we had zucchini that we hadnt even planned on haha..and this year the same thing happened so we just uprooted them from where they were spread all over and clumped them in one section..worked out great but we have actually TOO many huge plants which Im gonna have to thin out once its not rainy out

We planted everything a week before easter and then watermelon went in two weeks after that

So far everything is looking amazing...we have about 10 tomato plants all huge with tiny green tomatoes coming in..4 bell peppers with a few mini peppers starting...4 hot peppers (pictured below are some I brought in today..they seem to be ready the fastest..)...4 watermelon with teeny teeny watermelons on them..soo cute!!! and just a huge huge huge mass of zucchini..that are now blooming so zucchini are in the near future I would thing..

My one regret is that we didnt think to put down landscaping fabric or paper before we started so weeds are a problem and a pain in the butt to get out since the garden is so small and its all so close together..but we have had great weather for plants...humid and hot and thunderstorms atleast once or twice a week so we definitely are not out for water haha

I am soo proud..I think hubby thought I was a bit looney wanting a garden because hes not a country person like I am but he is definitely happy we went through with it now...if it works out well and we are happy with it we might knock out one of the railroad ties that is sectioning it in and expand it so we can have more next year...

Here are our first peppers from our first garden..I'll post some pics of all the plants and tiny little veggies once its not rainy out

Attachments

• P6220040.jpg
    P6220040.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4