Our school is becoming an academy

lau86

Reaction score
We've had an a5 leaflet home saying the school is becoming an academy. I don't trust this government and their ideas. Does anyone know anything about what it actually means?

It's different from a school? I worked for a virtual academy and the "academy" part was really just another word for "school."

The only main difference to an Academy & a School is a School is accountable to the Local Authority but an Academy isn't.

An Academy has more control over itself, this can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what company owns and runs it. We have a few in the surrounding towns, some of which have an excellent reputation, some not so much.

I think the big thing that puts people off is that Academies is that they can employ non-qualified teaching staff in replace of actual teachers. Again, this seems to depend on the company.

Does your letter state who will be the owner? Might be worth researching them.

No it just says 4 schools in the area have applied and been successful.

My daughters school turned into an academy last year and we have honestly seen no change at all? It hasn't affected my daughters learning or any part of her education at all.

My daughters school turned into an academy last year and we have honestly seen no change at all? It hasn't affected my daughters learning or any part of her education at all.

I really hope that's the case! I wish we had been informed

Exactly the same here. The only changes we've noticed is more trips and extra activities for the kids which the head teacher said is because an academy funds it's own self as opposed to relying on the county council for funding. Or words to that effect

I've just read that the more money thing is a myth, So I can only imagine more school trips must be taking money away from else where? I don't know 100% though

It sort of is true because they're free to shop around for suppliers plus my daughter's school has a touch screen partner, an ict partner and a device partner, they link to each of them on their website which is advertising so probably reduces their bill.

My daughter's school is an academy and has a very good reputation. Funding is internally controlled and they hold lots of fund raising activities which help to get the pupils and parents involved. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->