out of my depth already

smokey

Mummy to a monkey
Reaction score
Ok baby was born this afternoon, i leaked a little colostrium a few days ago but nothing since.
He is latching wondefully and a very greedy boy.
I know the mlk takes a few days but how long does the colostrum take?
What do i do in the meantime as hes hungry and grumpy at me :) jsr leave him latched on as much as possible to emcourage flow even if its all night?
Hes waking every few mins trying to get somthing, the comfert latch last for a bit to get him to drop off but isnt lasting more then a few mins.

Congratulations!

Exactly the same as you lovely, LO was very hungry after birth and latched on and off all night, it was constant until day 3 and my milk came in. Try and remember the early days ate the very hardest, constantly feeding a baby that doesn't seem content is so hard, remember this is the point where lots of ppl supplement because they start to worry baby isn't getting any but they can get by on that little bit of colostrum. This stage will pass and soon enough you'll be happily BF away.

Good luck and :hugs:

Normal, Hun. He's probably getting drops of colostrum even if you think he isn't. His stomach is only the size of a marble. He's doing exactly what he should.. Sucking as often as he can. It's what stimulates your body to produce. He needs nothing else now. It's exhausting, but normal and good!

I had the same with my youngest, very little colostrum at first albeit enough to make him poo 14 times in the first 24 hours, but by day 2-3 I still had mainly colostrum-milk had only just started to come in but it was ounces. I had loads of colostrum with second eldest. However it's not necessarily a good thing as colostrum is really rich for them plus their stomach capacity is tiny and so ounces of the stuff results in a windy annoyed baby and projectile often bright yellow sicky ups! OH had to go and buy new outfits from Tesco because he dirtied absolutely everything within a day. It was so bad I worried he had severe reflux but as soon as my milk came in properly which did and can take a few days after it starts to come in, he was rarely sick at all. A few drops is what's best for them xx

Thanks, i dont mind sitting up with him all might if thats whats needed, i just dont want to resort to the formula as quick as i did with lo 1 (he refused to latch though) will leaving him on the boob all night and sucking in his sleep help the flow or is it better to do it when hes awake and actually sucking fully.

It will help but try to get rest too once he goes off to sleep properly (and he will eventually). In my experience there is usually one night in the first three days when it's a bit fraught but the other two nights you can get some rest. With my youngest it was his first night alive which was stressful but he slept a lot better on the next two nights, allowing me to catch up on some much needed sleep! Xx

My LO was the same, I also found and still find that she gives me hunger signs even when she has fed but is actually tired! In the first few days it really confused me and she would struggle to settle, I also had a lot of colostrum and that resulted in lots and lots of sick! We went through so many crib sheets and outfits! Things may well settle a but when your milk kicks in!

Congratulations hun. This is the hardest bit, I remember sending my hubby out for formula in the middle of the night as I knew DS was hungry and grumpy, thankfully the 24 hour shop was such a while away he fell asleep by the time he was back. Perseverance is the key, it's hard, he is telling your body he wants more milk so keep putting him on, he is getting all the nutrition he needs, it can feel a little cruel when you know he just wants a big feeding of milk but you will give him that soon, let his body have the magical colostrum first, when your milk comes in he will have a field day. Trust in your body hun, no matter how much he will make you doubt yourself!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->