Outgrowing car seat at three months?

tu123

Reaction score
LO is 16 lbs and long. Unfortunately the sholder straps do not extend anymore and are taut over her sholders.

We have looked in teh stores and the next car seat up seems to go from 9kg to 20kg. Am i missing something? Car seats really confuse me!

Anyone experienced similar and purchased the next up grade?

Need some advice please.

I'd advise looking at other stage 0 car seats where the straps are a bit longer or can be moved up.

Babies shouldn't go in to the next size up seat until they are 9kg/preferably 9 months, as the bones in their neck aren't strong enough to be forward facing :flower:

i too would definitely continue to look in the stage 0 car seats that have longer straps, my daughter was quite tall, and a bit baby from birth, but we found the Maxi cosi infant carrier fab, as you can move the straps up the back. pop into somewhere like mothercare and they can advise you for whats best for your baby and car, and then can try your LO is all the different seats :D

Silver cross 3d. straps are at their maximum now!

My LO isnt very big but at the same age her Graco car seat was too small. I was fortunate that a friend lent me hers whcih was slightly bigger and the straps extended more. I think it was a mamas and papas one.

That's mad, Daisy is 8 months, 24lbs and 76cm and her first car seat is still ok! It's a Primo Viaggio from Mamas & Papas. I'm glad I didn't buy another one as by the sound of it she never would have fitted :lol:

Do you know how long she is? DS is long (66cms) and a similar weight (16lb 3 on Monday). His seat is ok, but he's definately got less room than he had. We've got the maxi cosi pebble and have removed a cushion that sat inside, his feet were beginning to dangle over the seat.
I found a comparison of some seats, it's not the clearest, but might help a little
https://www.halfords.com/wcsstore/H...ages/catalog/childseat-bg-comparisontable.jpg

My LO is long (91st percentile for her length) she's 5months and 15lb and has been outgrowing her car seat for a while we looked into car seats and you can get ones that are from birth to 2 years.

We're going to get her one of those and see if it's better (the straps must extend more if it's designed to eventually fit a 2 yr old) it's rear facing to start with and then you can turn it round when baby ready

That's mad, Daisy is 8 months, 24lbs and 76cm and her first car seat is still ok! It's a Primo Viaggio from Mamas & Papas. I'm glad I didn't buy another one as by the sound of it she never would have fitted :lol:

we had te same car seat as you, my son wouldnt fit in it width ways at 7 months! we had to change seats. mind you he is rather a large monkey :flower:

Not all babies are the same as all car seats are not, id reccommend the same as the others, a static rf 0+ seat.

our monkey went ff at 7.5 months and 21lb

This may seem a silly question but only asking cause I was the same at 4 months thinking my daughter was growing out of her car seat. Have you checked the manual and removed all newborn cushions/inserts? there may also me a way to raise the strap to make them longer. Im terrible at instructions so it was only when someone else had a look for me I was able to find all these things out and its still fits her now and shes a big long girl! x

Maybe something like the Britax First class plus would be a good buy if the seat was really too small. That rear faces up until 28lb and then can be turned forward facing or you could then buy another rear facing seat.

I would definitely say the same as sarahchops though, too.

I'm not sure if anyone else has said this, but they're not supposed to wear coats or snowsuits in car seats. Daisy def wouldn't fit in hers with her coat on!

you could get on that is rear and forward-facing. we got one from Asda for £25 & it does the job. Saying that I thought that Isla was outgrowing her graco infant carseat around that age, but she still fits in it fine, even now...

Do you know how long she is? DS is long (66cms) and a similar weight (16lb 3 on Monday). His seat is ok, but he's definately got less room than he had. We've got the maxi cosi pebble and have removed a cushion that sat inside, his feet were beginning to dangle over the seat.
I found a comparison of some seats, it's not the clearest, but might help a little
https://www.halfords.com/wcsstore/H...ages/catalog/childseat-bg-comparisontable.jpg

Thanks for this-she is 65cm. She still fits in the seat but the straps are now too short:shrug:

My LO is long (91st percentile for her length) she's 5months and 15lb and has been outgrowing her car seat for a while we looked into car seats and you can get ones that are from birth to 2 years.

We're going to get her one of those and see if it's better (the straps must extend more if it's designed to eventually fit a 2 yr old) it's rear facing to start with and then you can turn it round when baby ready

I was looking in Mothercare this morning and found a Britax First Clas plus that can be used from birth to 20kgs and is rear facing until they are 9 kgs.

Anyone used one before?

This may seem a silly question but only asking cause I was the same at 4 months thinking my daughter was growing out of her car seat. Have you checked the manual and removed all newborn cushions/inserts? there may also me a way to raise the strap to make them longer. Im terrible at instructions so it was only when someone else had a look for me I was able to find all these things out and its still fits her now and shes a big long girl! x

It's not silly! Yes i have and yep-the straps are at their maximum. They connect to a bar on the back. The bar is right up against the seat with no more strap left:cry:

Sorry in advance, I don't mean to offend! With ours you have to pull the front connector part of the harness forwards to be able to pull more of the shoulder harness through. Sounds like you're at the end of the strap though :(

Sorry in advance, I don't mean to offend! With ours you have to pull the front connector part of the harness forwards to be able to pull more of the shoulder harness through. Sounds like you're at the end of the strap though :(

No offence! I'm new to all this anyway!

Yep-we do this-just out of strap. maybe we have a poorly made seat?

i got a stage 0+ wich means she is still rear faceing and will be prob till after one then i can turn it around forward faceing.
my lo aslo grew out of her baby car seat at 17 weeks old so didnt want her forward faceing so went looking for a car seat that lasted right through hers lasts untill shes 6 xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->