Ovarian Cyst or Pregnancy?

emchilada

Reaction score
At 16 dpo (AF 3 days late) with continuous BFNs, I'm starting to feel as if maybe I have an ovarian cyst :growlmad:. I have had them in the past and they've delayed my period, one time giving me a 55+ day cycle.

I had twinges at 9dpo that I thought were implantation cramps. Following that, I had symptoms such as dizziness, slight nausea, constipation, etc., that could have been pregnancy symptoms. I've still been noticing twinges in the past couple of days, concentrated on the right side. It would be unlikely that implantation cramps are lasting 5 days, right? I've read where cysts can often cause pregnancy-like symptoms, as well.

I'm pretty bummed out since I haven't had cysts in over a year and a half....and then BAM, they make a reoccurrence as soon as I'm TTC ](*,).

Anyone else experience anything similar?

I actually found out I was pregnant with my son BECAUSE of cysts. They grew to golf ball size due to the hormones when I became pregnant. Sometimes when you are prone to them, they will go a little nutty when your hormones switch up.

Best thing to do would be to get checked out. Have an ultrasound and see what is going on in there.

Good to know!! Thanks so much for sharing. If AF doesn't show up next week, I'm going to make an appointment to determine if it's a pregnancy or just a cyst.

I got cysts for the first time a few months after stopping BCP, probably because of the change in hormones. We weren't TTC then, I just didn't like the way BCP made me feel. Now, almost two years later, we ARE TTC so the timing would be pretty terrible if it's a cyst, alone.

I donated eggs in my early 20's and ever since, I have had an issue with cysts. But they can be a telltale sign, so keep the faith!

Cramping is definitely a symptom of pregnancy. And it can definitely go on for more than one day! Some ladies cramp the entire 2ww. I did when I got my BFP.

Having said that though, if you have a history of cysts, you should get checked out if you're worried.

Cramping is definitely a symptom of pregnancy. And it can definitely go on for more than one day! Some ladies cramp the entire 2ww. I did when I got my BFP.

Having said that though, if you have a history of cysts, you should get checked out if you're worried.

I'm going to wait until the end of my expected AF. If she doesn't show up, I'll be making an appt. The cramping is VERY mild, so we will see what happens!

Oh Em how interesting... I'm 17DPO so we are close and so far haven't managed to test but no AF, cramping (v precise location down there to the right, like a stitch when I do more than walk to the couch, in waves), a lot of CM, tiredness and weird feeling boobs - not bigger or harder per se, just 'weird'... I wonder if I could be experiencing a cyst as opposed to a possible pregnancy, how common is that?

Oh Em how interesting... I'm 17DPO so we are close and so far haven't managed to test but no AF, cramping (v precise location down there to the right, like a stitch when I do more than walk to the couch, in waves), a lot of CM, tiredness and weird feeling boobs - not bigger or harder per se, just 'weird'... I wonder if I could be experiencing a cyst as opposed to a possible pregnancy, how common is that?

Cal,

For the most part, cysts are naturally occurring. They kind of build up as you ovulate, then go away (that is, assuming it's a typical one). At times, they can stick around and grow, causing pain and messing with cycles.

They can sometimes cause pregnancy-like symptoms. I got them for a few months a couple years ago when I was NOT TTC. As a result, I thought I was pregnant and had a lot of freak-outs because I wasn't prepared for it. Now I'm in the exact opposite position!

Back then, I ended up going to the doctor because the cyst was causing pretty bad pain, especially when BDing. It ended up going away on its own, but they did do a couple ultrasounds to make sure it wasn't an abnormal one.

I'd say if AF doesn't show up by what would potentially be the end of your cycle, make an appointment with a doctor. This way, you can at least have a blood test done if you think you may be pregnant. If not, they can try and figure out if it is a cyst or something else that's interrupting your cycle. I will probably do the same thing. I am kind of clinging to what other posters said about cysts acting up because they were pregnant or cramping lasting for a couple of weeks but resulting in a BFP. At the same time, I'm freaking myself out by reading about how some women with slow-rising hCG have experienced more mcs.

My CM has become a bit dryer and more "clumpy" the past couple of days. I haven't had any changes in my boobs. I have had that "stitch" feeling, especially if I stand up too fast. My stomach will cramp up for just a second and make me bend over a bit.

Oh I haven't heard of cysts before.. Now I'm worried I have them. Been having a heavy dull ache + cramping at my uterus area for 3 days now. I have long cycles too.. AF is still about 8-10 days away.
Thanks for the info, emchilada, but I hope it's good news for you!

Oh I haven't heard of cysts before.. Now I'm worried I have them. Been having a heavy dull ache + cramping at my uterus area for 3 days now. I have long cycles too.. AF is still about 8-10 days away.
Thanks for the info, emchilada, but I hope it's good news for you!

Skycastles,

How many dpo are you? Yours could be implantation cramps, considering you haven't hit your AF time yet!

I'm estimated 8-9DPO today. I don't know if it's implantation pain or constipation pain lol.
Have you tried testing again, or are u gonna just wait it out till next week?

This is very interesting... I've been known to have cysts (they saw them on ultrasounds for my previous 3 pregnancies...) Now I'm wondering if that's what's causing my pregnancy symptoms and bfn. I keep getting that dull cramping and random stitch pain near my right ovary (where I typically get the cysts).

I'm estimated 8-9DPO today. I don't know if it's implantation pain or constipation pain lol.
Have you tried testing again, or are u gonna just wait it out till next week?

8-9dpo could be the perfect timing for implantation, so don't count yourself out, yet!

I'm waiting until Sunday (when AF would be over) to test. I made DH hide my HPTs until then. Haha I'm a crazy person!

This is very interesting... I've been known to have cysts (they saw them on ultrasounds for my previous 3 pregnancies...) Now I'm wondering if that's what's causing my pregnancy symptoms and bfn. I keep getting that dull cramping and random stitch pain near my right ovary (where I typically get the cysts).

Another poster said that her cysts got worse when she was pregnant. Sounds like you also had some accompanying your pregnancies. Maybe cysts are a GOOD sign! Haha

In a strange turn of events, I swore to DH yesterday that my ovarian cysts were back. I know the pain well, and it's been flaring up for a few days now. I agreed that I should call my Dr. and make an appt about it.

Last night, I took a cheapo test and got a faint BFP. This morning I got another faint BFP.

I think sometimes if you are prone to cysts, they rear up when your hormones change...

Congrats on the BFP! How exciting!

I'm 10 days late for AF, but no BFP. I haven't really had much pain though so I'm not sure if it is a cyst delaying AF or not. If pain comes back, I'll make a dr appt.

Best thing to do is see a Dr and have them take a look. The cysts can mess up the works in our lady parts quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->