Ovarian Reserve Test?

LittleMermaid

Still LTTC#1 ~ MedMenoP
Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone had this done?

Did you do this privately, and if so where, and how much did it cost .. was it worth it?

Or did this happen once you were referred?

So many questions :blush:

Thinking of getting mine checked - but as no joy with FS until Oct 2011 if not pregnant by then, Im trying to think of other options to explore myself ... unexplained my a*** there has to be reason! ](*,)

i have some questions on ovarian reserve and i'm hoping i'll find some answers tomorrow at 'the fertility show' in london. maybe get down there yourself if you can. it'll be there saturday as well.

https://www.fertilityshow.co.uk/

Thanks for the reply. Cant get out of work tomorrow and Ive got other stuff on this weekend, bum :dohh:, would have been good to go to that show. Thanks for the link too. If you find anything out, would be good to hear about it.:thumbup:

I had the clomid challenge last month to check my ovarian reserve. I just got my results this am which show "okay" numbers...not great, but not terrible. You basically take clomid 100mg on cd3-7 and have bloods drawn on cd3 & cd10--they look for FSH levels on both tests to be under 10. My first was 8, my second was 12. So not fabulous, but not horrible either. It just one indicator of possible ovarian reserve.

Which test are you talking about. AMH seems to be the most accurate one, FSH just tells you how hard your body has to work to ovulate.

I guess the AMH test.

The gp wont do it, neither will the fs ... which would be so simple if its just a blood test. But no I have to source this test for myself and pay thro the nose for it too I imagine. I dispair! ](*,)

Just cant find anywhere local that would do it. I dont really want to have to travel to London. :nope:

AMH is a blood test. My local clinic doesn't do it, so I had to pay an extra $20 to get it couriered to tha lab that does. The best (if that's apropriate!!) thing about the test is that it can be done at any time during your cycle - so if you happen to be going anywhere at any time soon that has a lab that does it - timing doesn't matter.

I hope you find somewhere.

Leilani, you seem to be well versed with these tests-do you know if a cd10 FSH of 12 is really bad? I made the mistake of googling it...the FS made no big deal of it, as my E2 levels on both days were normal. But then I read that you can't qualify for IVF with a level of 15. So now I'm panicked.

I would say it's ok - as it will be higher on CD10 than CD3. The 15 would be a maximm for CD3. If your FS isn't worried, I wouldn't be!

Leilani is the best!!!!!!!

My clinic did the amh test as a prerequisite to ivf.

Best wishes. xo

Can someone explain the diff between FSH and AMH? Also, does antral follicle count matter too? I always have around 16 at my baseline ultrasound.

Also, does an elevated FSH mean that you aren't fertile at all? Does it affect current fertility or just a snapshot of where you may be in your reproductive "life"?

i have recently had my AMH blood test, the private clinic requested it but put it through on the nhs i was really surprised at that but it would have only been £30 through them so not too expensive maybe ask a different doctor

good luck

Can someone explain the diff between FSH and AMH? Also, does antral follicle count matter too? I always have around 16 at my baseline ultrasound.

Also, does an elevated FSH mean that you aren't fertile at all? Does it affect current fertility or just a snapshot of where you may be in your reproductive "life"?

FSH is a measure of how hard your body needs to work to produce a follicle, if your body has to work hard, it indicates it's a bit of an effort to push an egg out, as there are fewer of them left - your ovaries are a bit liek a tube of toothpaste - when it's new and full, a slight squeeze anywhere will get sometoothpast on to your brush, as you ovaries get older (and you use up the toothpaste) it gets to the point where you have to really squeeze and squish the tube to get even a little bit out - it's an effort, but there is toothpaste in there. AMH gives a better idea of how many eggs you have left, but I don't have a good story to go with it! AMH also seems to give a much clearer idea of how many follicles you can be expected to produce using IVF drugs.

A high FSH or low AMH are not idications of egg quality - only age effects the quality. Young ladies with a low AMH may not produce many eggs, but they should be of decent quality, whereas older ladies like myself, it's a bit more hit and miss!

Antral follicle count ia the maximum number of follicles that can be matured during an IVF cycle. It's also the number of eggs your ovaries pop out every month. Your ovaires are like the start line of the 100m race; during a regular cycle there is only one winner of the race (occassionally a tie), and nobody remembers the others, but in an IVF cycle, all the athletes take performance enhancing drugs, and so all finish at the same time. This is also the reason why doing IVF doesn't use your eggs up any quicker than not doing IVF.

A count of 16 seems like a great number to be working with. The antral count can vary from month to month, but the trend over time is downwards.

Hope this helps!

WOW, thank you so much for this. I loved the stories! This was wonderful.

Just thought I would update you all on some infromation that I had sent to me after making some enquiries with a couple of local Private hospitals for an Ovarian (AMH) Blood test:

Reply 1
You would need to see a consultant in the first instance and a GP referral letter would be required. An appointment can normally be obtained within 7-10 days and the cost of an initial consultation is in the region of £175-250. This does not include any tests that the consultant may wish to carry out. For further information or for details of consultants practicing at Spire Cambridge Lea Hospital please visit our website at https://www.spirecambridge.com

Reply 2:
Please find attached our standard clinic information pack which should answer most of your questions regarding IVF treatment at Bourn Hall Clinic. More information about the clinic and our Open Days are also available on our website. In answer to your question regarding an AMH test; we would be happy to perform this here for you, the cost would be £100. If you need any further advice, or wish to book an appointment with one of our Consultants, please call Patient Liaison between the hours 9 – 5 and we shall be happy to arrange this for you. https://www.bourn-hall-clinic.co.uk

Reply 2 attached lots of useful information about themselves, which is more than the 1st one! I can attach docs if they would be helpful to anyone!?!

The 1st reply confused me, as why would I need a referral to see them if I am paying for stuff myself anyway :shrug: The 2nd place didnt even mention needing a referral!

Anyway, just thought seeing as I started this thread, this might be useful for someone. As for me, if no luck by Christmas then I will be making an appt in the New Year!

:hugs:

I recently had these tests as I was told I may go through the early menopause due to high dose chemo I had when I was 25. The results were 1.4 AMH and 19 FSH. I was told I am unlikely to conceive naturally and should look towards egg donor in the future. Apparantely my body is working as hard as it possibly can and even IVF is not an option for me as my body can't be stimulated any more than what it is to produce any more eggs. Any body else have similar or can give me any advice?

Zita West's wesbite advertises a test for AMH levels. More fertility clinics are starting to test now. Derby Royal does. Sorry not sure about other places. You could ring around and ask. Derby used to have to send blood test to London for analysis but now they do it in house. I would suggest calling some local clinics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->