Over 35, 1st pregnancy, "happy accident," and blissful. You?

hamster10

Reaction score
I'm all over the over 35 section and have posted on a variety of topics including testing, symptoms (or lack there-of,) etc. But I wanted to see if anyone was in the same boat and getting a big giggle out of it like I am. I mean really? 38? Never been pregnant, was not trying, and now look at me! I mean, it's a whole new ballgame when your missed period could be mistaken as early menopause... before even considering the fact that one of my dusty old eggs actually met with her buddy somewhere up there in my reproductive system.

10 years ago, heck... 20 YEARS ago, this would have been cause for shame, a shotgun wedding, my father's scorn, etc. Now I just can't stop giggling at the fact that at 38, I KNOW how NOT to get pregnant and still, we managed to let one slip through. My b/f and I could not be happier about this. Is anyone else having a similar experience?

The question has already been posed: "so, are you going to get married?" Um, seriously? I'm 38 and have never been married and have never really cared either way. For now, I'm just happy to be with a fantastic man that wants to be a daddy as much as I want to be a mother... even though we had no idea we ever wanted to be parents. I love it! I'm not saying this to attract responses from only the non-marrieds, but just giving you my story.

I feel great and am going to continue to laugh it up, as opposed to whine and share sob stories. Today my giggles came from the fact that I just got my first bikini wax this morning. YOWSAH. :tease:

Oh, also: I'm soliciting a phrase to replace "happy accident." There has to be something as descriptive, but less... I don't know... "accidental" sounding. Any ideas?

Best to you all.

-e :haha:

Sounds very similar to me. I was 39 when I fell pregnant and again, was a happy accident although at the time was more of a shock to be honest! I too perhaps thought it was early menopause lol. We couldn't believe it really. After just the once, we were expecting! Not at our age surely?! But hey, it can happen and it did!

We had never really seriously considered being parents but oh am I glad this one slipped through as I couldn't imagine life without my son now and he is the centre of our world :)

So glad this board is here. It wasn't around when I was pregnant but it may come in handy if number 2 decides to show up :winkwink:

Congratulations on your happy accident lol! I bet it was fate and always meant to happen, just like with us.

Yup... I'm going with fate. Seems to be the case. (Which is probably easier to accept considering I feel so "normal.")

Best,
-e

Ooh, go for Happy Surprise or Special Surprise!

I love the quote from the show Roseanne:

"D.J.: Was I an accident?
Roseanne: No, D.J., you were a surprise.
D.J.: Oh. What's the difference?
Roseanne: Well, an accident is something that you wouldn't do over again if you had the chance. A surprise is something you didn't even know you wanted until you got it."

^^^^^ ooohh I LIKE THAT

we were the same - trying but only off the pill for one month - couldnt believe I fell straight away at 36. And can you imagine 6 weeks later going for a scan the sonographer says the words that I will remember forever

'Were you planning a big family?'

TWINS hehehehehehehe

OH and I (also unmarried) spent 15 minutes laughing by the vending machine while sharing a snickers on the way out of the hospital!

I was a wanted oops child. My parents were told they couldn't have kids, so they adopted my brother. We are 20 months apart. :)

I am 36 and this was a wanted oops too. DH and I always said we wanted 2 kids, but our son is almost 8. Time flies. We really didn't think that I could get pregnant since we only did it once or twice without protection - and at our age. I would spot 2-5 days before my periods for the past few years. We took that as a sign that pregnancy would be difficult. Boy were we wrong! At least I will have something in common with this baby. Also, it will be great birth control advice for my children when they get older. It really does only take on time.

Congrats to all the 35+ ladies with babies!

Congrats on your happy surprise!!!! How lovely :) And I think 38 is a GREAT age to be prego... maybe just cause I'm 37! hehe. But loving every moment of it.

Best of luck to a H&H 9 mos hun!

Can I tell you all how excited I am that this has turned into such a happy and light-hearted thread? HOORAY. We've all got our concerns and trepidations, but maybe age has given us the ability to laugh along with it!

At just 12w 5d, I am SO SHOWING and I giggle at the mirror every time. Here's to reminding myself that for the first time... that gut is a GOOD thing.

Laugh, snort, giggles and hugs to you all. :hugs:

-e :haha:

What a great thread thanks for this!!!! Mine beanie was very planned...and a long road coming. But nonetheless still I go through the disbelief and giggles which you are experiencing. I also wonder in complete awe how young Moms do it. Hats off to them woweeee. As this pregnancy thing ain't for whimps that is for sure!

Our LO was planned up until last year, when I decided that I didn't want to start bringing up baby into my 40's and was planning on getting sterilised - again, missed period was put down to ill health, or menopause, the test was done, a tear was shed whether out of shock, horror, or joy, I don't know, but I or rather we want this LO more than anything, but being pregnant now is a lot more difficult that it was when I was pregnant 16 years ago, I've got 10 week ish left, and it's already and uphill struggle, but there are absolutely noooo regrets, jeez we waited long enough for it to happen, just wasn't meant to be before now is all

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->