Over 40 - R.E.'s Reluctance to Treat

what did u have to do to get clomid prescribed?
what were the side effects like?

Your Gyn would prescribe it and it might work for some and might not for others. My OB prescribed it two years ago and I took 3 cycles and it did not work then I was off of it for month and I got pregnant. I did not like the side effects at all. It was like I was another person. I took it at night after the first cycle and it helped a little. I was paranoid, grouchy, forgetful and felt like I had an out of body experience. I even forgot my handbag in a cart but thank goodness someone was with me and brought it to me. I have heard some women don't have any effects from it so it just depends on the person I guess....

wow....that sounds scary....
did your doc do any tests before prescribing it?

I did not have all of the testing done prior to going on the Clomid as I had already been under the care of my doc and he was very familiar with my history.

Please don't let my side effects sway you if you are considering the drug, everyone reacts differently and I didn't have any side effects that were unusual. But like the other tester, I did also have the horrible mood swings too. :flower:

Yes my Gyn took the results of my last physical and blood test drawn as well as a FSH test that told him if my eggs were producing at the right levels. Like I said it didn't work for me while I was on it. I have one packet left but I don't think I will use it. My doctor was use to women over 40 having babies. I was 41 at the time and I said "I know I'm too old and he said no I wasn't, he had just delivered a baby for a 45 year old woman...

i have been turned away from 4 f.s. saying that im too old and it will never happen and that was from when i was 41 and i am now 44 , 45 at christmas and im now 5 days late and only now have symptoms of pregnancy now starting and its looking really good but am waiting til the 2nd june to test as it will then be a whole calendar month round and i will be getting in touch with each and every one of them to tellt hema llto go back and get re-educated in the matters of conception for women of our age as it does happen and they need to realise that we are the new 30's getting pregnant not TOO OLD !.
Good Luck ladies xxx

i will be getting in touch with each and every one of them to tellt hema llto go back and get re-educated in the matters of conception for women of our age as it does happen and they need to realise that we are the new 30's getting pregnant not TOO OLD !.
Good Luck ladies xxx

:thumbup::haha::happydance:

i have been turned away from 4 f.s. saying that im too old and it will never happen and that was from when i was 41 and i am now 44 , 45 at christmas and im now 5 days late and only now have symptoms of pregnancy now starting and its looking really good but am waiting til the 2nd june to test as it will then be a whole calendar month round and i will be getting in touch with each and every one of them to tellt hema llto go back and get re-educated in the matters of conception for women of our age as it does happen and they need to realise that we are the new 30's getting pregnant not TOO OLD !.
Good Luck ladies xxx

Fingers crossed!!!:baby::happydance::cloud9:

Good Luck ladies xxx

Best of luck to you! Please keep us posted! :thumbup:

well i got it a very faint + but i got it am still in shock and if anyone know me on FB please dont message me on there as my family wont know for another 8 weeks at least i need to make sure all ok before i tell them so girls i know how hard it is bt its best to hold off as long as you can good luck everyone xxxx

well i got it a very faint + but i got it am still in shock and if anyone know me on FB please dont message me on there as my family wont know for another 8 weeks at least i need to make sure all ok before i tell them so girls i know how hard it is bt its best to hold off as long as you can good luck everyone xxxx

This is wonderful! :happydance:

So, as I mentioned in my previous post, I was sort of poopooed for wanting to try to get pregnant at 40-41. Here I am at 43 pregnant. And I considered not trying anymore because of the negative responses I got! I am having problems with my beta/HcG numbers, but that's not the point.

Last year, I went to a doctor at a renowned fertility clinic in San Francisco. He was kind, but so pessimistic! He also thought I should do IVF immediately. I do realize that the statistics do back this advice up, but personally I believe the statistics are skewed because doctors don't seem to want to treat us ancient 40 and over's. And it seems to me that if the number of older women you try to treat is less, the positive outcomes will also be less.

I always believed I wasn't getting pregnant because my follicles were not rupturing and if I could just get a bit of a boost, I could get pregnant. So I decided to beg for Clomid. I think women of my ancientness :jo: (in regard to reproduction) do know their bodies pretty well.

I went to my regular ob/gyn practice, but I saw a new doctor who hadn’t been there very long. I just detest this practice. I have never seen a more snobby, uncompassionate, rude group of doctors in my life. Last year I went to ask for some help getting pregnant at this practice, and the doctor made me cry – that’s how rude she was to me. (I am not a crier.) And she told me she couldn’t be my ob because I was high risk, and I suspect because of that, she just wasn’t interested in anything I had to say.

So…anyhow, in May 2011, I saw this new doctor at the same practice, who I actually liked, but who seemed so clueless regarding fertility that it shocks me to this day.

She gave me a prescription for 50mg Clomid and I also forced her to give me a prescription for Crinone, a progesterone vaginal gel. If I say she was reluctant, it would be an understatement. I have to say that I specifically brought my husband along with me, because he’s very supportive, (this whole pregnancy thing was HIS idea) and it’s harder for a doctor to be an ass when you have an advocate with you.

Some doctors do not like prescribing Clomid, which is understandable. Along with my pregnancy, I got a juicy cyst (I’ve never had one before), probably from the Clomid, exactly why some doctors don’t like it.

Some doctors do not like prescribing Clomid to older women because it can thin the uterine lining. Well, how do they not know that there is a proven way to counteract that problem? I found a study regarding adding Black Cohosh on the days you take the Clomid that showed a marked improvement on pregnancy outcomes and uterine lining. It seems to have worked for me.

I got pregnant immediately. :baby:

I have to confess that Clomid and Crinone were, BY FAR, not the only things I did to improve my chances. Also, my FHS and AMH numbers are good, even though my antral follicle count was low last year. My husband’s SA is also good.

So, here I am…finally, and I’m holding up a special finger for you horrible negative doctors who have no manners or compassion. Obviously I found a new practice with doctors I really like.

How are you lovely ladies doing?

That's awesome, Janet...Congratulations....

Freaking doctors... :finger:

All the doctors I have experienced in South Florida suck. They all label women over 35 as ancient, and one even told me I was too fat to get pregnant. BTW, my cousin is pushing 250 and she is on her second child - naturally, and I am no where near that size. I hate doctors here.

Hi BethG. I feel your pain, doctors everywhere seem to suck.

BTW, I'm pretty heavy myself and here I am, pregnant "naturally" with Clomid. I do have to qualify that by saying that I just lost 20 pounds right before getting pregnant. Getting even 5-10% closer to your "ideal" body weight, whether you need to gain weight, or lose it, can make a big difference. It seems to regulate your hormones somewhat. I didn’t diet at all, I just stopped eating all processed foods (which I love).

The fertility doctor in San Francisco did warn me that I was close to the cut off for how heavy you can be for the hospital to allow procedures. Another reason I never went back.

Hi.Just wanted to chime in and say a big congratulations to Janetplanet.

I'm 44 and have had three pregnancies in my forties. Unfortunately I have also had two miscarriages.

My son was born when I was 41. I have had two pregnancies since I turned 44. Now, if I could just work out how to hang on to them...

I just wanted to say that I have been having acupuncture and my practitioner tells me that it is not unusual to get pregnant at age 48. But it does require us to take care of our bodies. It's good to have a care-giver who has faith that I will get pregnant and carry another baby to term.

My Medical doctor also said she has dealt with many patients in their 40's and her oldest was 48.

An Irish midwife I spoke to told me that where she came from it was very common to deliver babies to women in their forties.

I am on a couple of other ttc websites with over forties, and have seen many success stories.

Good luck to all of you.

Hi.Just wanted to chime in and say a big congratulations to Janetplanet.

I'm 44 and have had three pregnancies in my forties. Unfortunately I have also had two miscarriages.

My son was born when I was 41. I have had two pregnancies since I turned 44. Now, if I could just work out how to hang on to them...

I just wanted to say that I have been having acupuncture and my practitioner tells me that it is not unusual to get pregnant at age 48. But it does require us to take care of our bodies. It's good to have a care-giver who has faith that I will get pregnant and carry another baby to term.

My Medical doctor also said she has dealt with many patients in their 40's and her oldest was 48.

An Irish midwife I spoke to told me that where she came from it was very common to deliver babies to women in their forties.

I am on a couple of other ttc websites with over forties, and have seen many success stories.

Good luck to all of you.

I also had my son at 40. I just haven't had luck with the last 2 pregnancies. MC too. I am 43 and just went through all the test after my MC will find out results on 27th of July..

Aww Garnet, I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope things turn around for you.:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->