overweight and wanting a baby???

fivebyfive

TTC #1 CYCLE 3
Reaction score
Hi guys,

well currently I am approx 18st - I have been for a 'well woman' check up and the only thing she commented on was my weight. I have absolutely no health problems at all, my BP is sopt on etc and have clockwork periods

I am also doing weight watchers and have so far lost 10lbs in 3 weeks which I think is quite good!

Anyway we are going on hol to egypt in June/july and hopefully will have lost more weight by then, my husband and I are extremely broody right now

I just wonder what to do, I dunno whether I should lose all the weight and then try (and prob get right back to where I started!!) or just keep doing WW and when it happens it happens??

The silliest thing is putting me off which I heard from someone who had a large tummy that the sonographer couldnt get the scan and they had to do an internal which I'd be horrified at!

Just wondered if any1 was also overweight/obese and thinking of trying?

My doc has said that she thinks im in tip top health and have my age on my side - im 26 just gone.

What do you think?

Chelle

Hi

Thought you might find it useful to know about my sister-in-law... she is quite overweight (not sure what size or weight exactly). She and her husband were not even trying and had an 'accident' one night and she fell pregnant! Aside from her weight she is in good health like you. She hadn't expected to get pregnant so easily but is completely overjoyed. She is just being given extra scans and checkups because of her weight.

x

The only reason i would suggest to loose weight is that once you start to get big, it may put to much strain on your back and your knees from the extra weight. I am over weight myself and have been advised to loose weight before trying as i might do some lasting damage to my back and knees as i have had problems with them from being a child.

Hope this helps

Lozzy is right, about the strain. Pregnancy is heavy and awkward. I was overweight with my son, and no problems except near the end with my blood pressure. But the weight on my knees was bad, especially the last week. You have a clean bill of health, start taking those vitamins and I say go for it! :D

I cant really give you any advice only that you are doing the right thing!!
Losing it slowly will keep you healthy and if it is something you feel strongly about then I say go for it!
From personal experience, I lost weight way way too fast (5 stone in 2 months) and have seriously damaged myself because of this, and I was not a happy person.
But losing weight slowly and sensibly and having a good exercise regime in place is the best thing for a mum to be!
Good luck to you, keep us all posted.xxx

Hi fivebyfive

I would say go for it, as long as you feel you can do it, once you are a pregnant you can speak to your doctor about following a healthy eating plan whilst you are pregnant. I know someone who was overweight and lost a lot of weight doing Slimming World, it took her a while to loose the weight but now she is 31 weeks pregnant and still weighs less now then she did when she fell pregnant, this is because she continued to follow Slimming World with the support of her midwife and with the consultant at slimming world.

Only you know your body and whehter you would feel able to carry on.

I am obese and have always thought what is the point of loosing weight to put it all back on again, but when I am PG I want to do one of those body casts and I dont want my weight to cause a problem for the baby, so I am following slimming world and in May will be starting to TTC!

Sorry that was a waffle really. Hope my freinds story has kinda inspired you that loosing weight during pregnancy is safe as long as everyone is aware and you get regular check ups.

Good luck sweetie in whatever you decide to do.

Sarah
xxxxxx

MY OH & I tried for 2 years to get pregnant but just couldn't seem to conceive. I had numerous tests at my doctors and it came back that i just didnt ovulate. I was advised to loose a bit weight as that could have been the underlying problem. I started weight watchers and we stopped trying as i was loosing weight. I lost 2 stone in 2 month, then i ended up getting pregnant with twins right away.

So, 18 stone is about 114 kg.I would say try to lose 30kg (13.5lbs) at least and then start trying.Being pregnant is hard on your hips,back,legs and feet so I think that would be best so that you are not in agony day and night. Your doctor is right,you have your age on your side so you still have time.Good luck.Your weight loss so far is fantastic.I know how hard it is to lose weight.

Hey Fivebyfive, I am in the same situation I am overweight and on Weight Watchers, started two weeks ago now!. I want to loose at least 2 stone before I start trying so I feel healthier and fitter in myself. If it happened now it happened but I am just worried I will go even bigger and I would feel awful!! When are you starying to try??

Sarah xx

I am so sorry for your suffering I've posted a post in what steps Im taking so I can have a baby as Im obese and have been ttc for longer than 10+ yrs
All the best for you!!

Im also 18 stone, I was a size 16 when i met Hubby im now a 22/24! Im 5ft 9 so it doesnt look too horrible, spreads out evenly lol. I joined Slimming World before My wedding and got down to a 18/20 and the since then have put it back on again, Christmas didnt help lol.
I will be going back to Slimming World when we can afford it, as it did work for me, but cost a lot for all the fresh fruit and veg and the yoghurts and low fat products, also the weigh in every week.
For now im trying Paul Mckennas plan, which isnt based on specific foods but just the way you think about food and your state of mind whilst eating. Its really good and I would suggest it to anyone who doesnt want to stick to a specific plan everyday for weeks on end and that just want to motivate themselves and also those who dont have a lot of money to spend on specific foodstuffs.

Good Luck with losing weight, I find aslong as you have a motivation for doing it , it helps a lot! What better reason than a healthy baby and a healty mummy? :) xx

If you are healthy otherwise, then I don't think you need to stress about it. Doing WW is a great way to get yourself motivated and it's probably good to keep going with it until you're happier with your body. After all, like bigbloomerz said: healthier mum, healthier baby :)

If your otherwise healthy, then i wouldnt worry too much but it would be more stress for your body and it could be harder to get preggers.

I was 15st 2, but ive just managed to get to the 12st 13lbs mark. Its taken about a month and a half with daily sit ups and stuff (i was doing exercise DVDs, but soon got bored of those. lol) I really want to get down to my perfect BMI before ttc, but i dont think its the be all and end all.

If you want to join the diet thread, id happily be your diet buddy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->