Overwhelmed with what is safe and what's not safe?

LadySekhmetDJ

Reaction score
6 Weeks Pregnant here (I know, I gotta get me one of those tickers things!).

Last night I started to feel my throat hurting, and I immediately went into a bit of a panic mode because for me it indicates that a cold is coming. A couple hours later, I got the symptoms of a cold. I am praying that it's going to be over quicker than my normal cold. I was at a convention last week, so I think that's where I got it from (I normally am a Stay-home-wife, so, I don't go out that often).

However, it's the matter of what I can take and can't take that's driving me BONKERS! ](*,)

I've been drinking water, and using Vicks Vapor Rub, etc, but since I really don't want to let "nature takes its course" as I normally do, so hence why I would like some relief with drugs.

Doing research online is really making me scared/nervous of what to take and what not to take.

It has been said many times that Mucinex DM is a no-no, yet Mucinex is fine (Guaifenesin alone). However, Robitussin-DM is fine and safe. And this and that.

Okay...I'm UTTERLY confused. Sure I can call my doctor, but office is closed today, and I really want to just relieve the symptoms and help my body fight off the cold.

Heck, I even did the Apple Cider Vinegar mix (that actually seem to help a little).

Anyone got slightly lost like I am when trying to find what's safe and what's not? :wacko:

On a positive note - I told my husband, "You know what, I haven't had buffalo Chicken wings in a long time. Would you make it this week?" He chuckled and said, "I think you just had your first craving..." LOL! :winkwink:

6 Weeks Pregnant here (I know, I gotta get me one of those tickers things!).

Last night I started to feel my throat hurting, and I immediately went into a bit of a panic mode because for me it indicates that a cold is coming. A couple hours later, I got the symptoms of a cold. I am praying that it's going to be over quicker than my normal cold. I was at a convention last week, so I think that's where I got it from (I normally am a Stay-home-wife, so, I don't go out that often).

However, it's the matter of what I can take and can't take that's driving me BONKERS! ](*,)

I've been drinking water, and using Vicks Vapor Rub, etc, but since I really don't want to let "nature takes its course" as I normally do, so hence why I would like some relief with drugs.

Doing research online is really making me scared/nervous of what to take and what not to take.

It has been said many times that Mucinex DM is a no-no, yet Mucinex is fine (Guaifenesin alone). However, Robitussin-DM is fine and safe. And this and that.

Okay...I'm UTTERLY confused. Sure I can call my doctor, but office is closed today, and I really want to just relieve the symptoms and help my body fight off the cold.

Heck, I even did the Apple Cider Vinegar mix (that actually seem to help a little).

Anyone got slightly lost like I am when trying to find what's safe and what's not? :wacko:

On a positive note - I told my husband, "You know what, I haven't had buffalo Chicken wings in a long time. Would you make it this week?" He chuckled and said, "I think you just had your first craving..." LOL! :winkwink:

Hi i had a cold a few days ago and im earlier than u and i called my dr and told me i could take tylenol....tylenol is safe during pregnancy and well said i only took 1 pill and thats all simce i didmt really want to take anythiny cause i was scared and my cold is away....GL to you.:hugs:

Lots of vitamin c on the hour every hour will cut any cold in about half :thumbup:

I have a nasty nasty cold (my son's back-to-school cold ugh) with a terrible cough and all I've taken really is some tylenol when the headache was bad. I take vit C, ACV + water for the throat, and make sure I am taking my prenatals. But other than that I figure you just have to deal with it LOL. Middle of the week it was pretty bad with the m/s, fever and chest/head cold - but it's on the mend now! I didn't actually know you could take anything - I've always been told tylenol only. (regular tylenol, not cold meds)

Sucks, but I'm sure you'll be feeling much better in a few days! xo

Also congrats on the BFP! :hugs:

I don't know what drugs are safe for pregnancy, since I never take them anyway, but most of those "cold remedy" drugs sold in drugstores (Nyquil, Thermaflu, etc) don't really do anything to heal your cold; they just cover the symptoms and make you feel better without actually making you better.

The best thing is to rest (sleep as much as possible) eat healthy, veggie-based soups, get plenty of vitamin C, drink hot water with lemon, honey, and ginger, and lots of fluids in general, stay away from dairy (it can increase congestion) and just let it run it's course. Apple cider vinegar is amazing; I really believe it can treat almost anything. Just make sure it's the live stuff, like Braggs brand. A lot of brands are pasteurized and treated to the point of being almost useless. Garlic is also great for helping fight germs in your body. Hopefully doing these things will support your immune system in such a way that you'll get well fast.

Some people hold the theory that it's best to fast or eat light when fighting a cold or flu, so your body can focus on fighting it, rather than on digesting heavy meals. Whenever I start getting sick, I eat mostly oranges and other vitamin-rich fruit, and fresh greens like kale, sauteed with lots of garlic, and do some of the other things I mentioned above. Often I'm able to fight it off without really getting sick.

The PP summed it up perfectly - out of interest, why would you be more keen to take drugs to fix the cold at the moment than just let it run its course? I would just rest more than usual and stick to natural remedies.

That said, I believe Tylenol and paracetamol are both safe as painkillers, personally I wouldn't mess around with cough syrups without a doctor's prescription.

The safest thing to do really would be to consult your doctor or pharmacist, not Dr Google and baby forums. :haha:

The PP summed it up perfectly - out of interest, why would you be more keen to take drugs to fix the cold at the moment than just let it run its course? I would just rest more than usual and stick to natural remedies.

That said, I believe Tylenol and paracetamol are both safe as painkillers, personally I wouldn't mess around with cough syrups without a doctor's prescription.

The safest thing to do really would be to consult your doctor or pharmacist, not Dr Google and baby forums. :haha:

I agree with you, when I DO get colds, and I just allow it run its course since I know it's a virus vs. infection. It NORMALLY lasts for a week to two weeks. I normally just take in Emerge-C, lots of water, reducing my dairy intake, etc. Never tried the ACV though, and thanks for the suggestion for Braggs. I'm going to try the Braggs ACV.

Right now, I'm actually looking to get some symptom relief as it's causing me not being able to sleep well or get rested. Thus...not getting enough rest = not letting my body recover/fight.

I just felt like I was getting in a panic mode by getting sick, and I didn't want to be sick that long or it'll affect the baby. Hence why I was looking for some simple drugs for symptom relief. But now...I think I've settled in a bit, and will just go the natural way and allow nature takes it course. LOL! Chalk it up to hormones. :haha:

Thanks for the advice guys and I'm praying that it'll be short lasting. :sleep:

Don't worry - a cold won't harm the baby! :hugs:
I've also not been sleeping due to the cold (and taking care of a toddler and preschooler who also have it and aren't sleeping). It does take a little longer to fight off, but you will. Our immune system is down during pregnancy so colds can be harder to get over - but it's ok, the baby is happy and cozy - it's only us that are miserable lol! :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->