Ovulating more than once per cycle

I

Indigo77

Women may ovulate more than once a month, suggests a Canadian study that overturns conventional views on the human menstrual cycle. The findings may explain why the rhythm method of contraception is so unreliable and could lead to improved, targeted fertility treatments in the future.

Ten per cent of the women studied released two eggs in the same month. And all the women examined by researchers at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon, Canada showed at least two waves of maturing eggs in their ovaries in the same month.

Traditionally, it has been thought that ovulation takes place only once in every menstruation cycle. A growth wave of 15 to 20 egg-carrying cells called follicles occurs before ovulation. One follicle will become dominant while the others die off.

"It's been assumed until now that women have just one wave per monthly cycle, leading to one ovulation, but nobody has actually carried out detailed analysis before," said Roger Pierson, who led the study. "In fact, all the women in our study had at least two waves and 30 per cent of them had three."

Fertility treatment

The team carried out daily, high resolution trans-vaginal ultrasound examinations on 63 women with normal menstrual cycles who were aged between 18 and 40. Over six weeks, the women's individual follicles were measured. During the study, 50 of the women ovulated only once, but six ovulated twice and seven not at all. The next stage of the research will be to find out why some waves lead to ovulation while others do not.

"We don't know why some waves lead to ovulation and others don't. But we want to utilise our new understanding of the menstrual cycle to be able to carry out better timing of in-vitro fertilization," Pierson told New Scientist.

Progesterone secretion from the corpus leuteum - a temporary hormone-producing gland that is formed at ovulation - may cause a surge in a reproductive hormone called luteinizing hormone, he says. This might have an inhibitory effect on further egg release during the menstrual cycle, which could explain why some of the women did not ovulate twice despite having two growth waves in their ovarian tissue.

It may be possible in the future to harness some non-ovulating waves into releasing eggs for couples having trouble conceiving, he added. The unexpected findings may also explain why the conception rate for non-identical twins is as high as 10 per cent.

"It could be that more than one dominant follicle is produced during a wave or that dual conception arises as a result of two waves in a cycle releasing eggs," ventured Pierson.

Journal reference: Fertility and Sterility(vol 80, p 116)

If you are a woman between the ages of 35 - 39, you are more likely to conceive twins. Women over 35 may release more than one egg at ovulation because their cycles are being disrupted by perimenopause.

Researchers have found that women over 35 produce more follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) than younger women, which may cause more than one egg to be released in one cycle.

https://www.whattoexpect.com/preconception/ask-heidi/twins.aspx

AY!!! I'm having TWINS!!!!

:wohoo::wohoo::wohoo:

JK.....:haha:

I might be the odd one; being 5'1" the thought of carrying twins terrifies me! Lol.

I think I'd have to roll down the street sideways....:wacko:

I might be the odd one; being 5'1" the thought of carrying twins terrifies me! Lol.

I think I'd have to roll down the street sideways....:wacko:

You could get one of those "hoveround" chairs! :haha:

Interesting article.
Did you know that many pregnancies start out as twin pregnancies? I think it was up to 25% start out that way.

I saw the "I'm having twins comment" before the JK, and I had to open your Ov chart, lol!!

Interesting article.
Did you know that many pregnancies start out as twin pregnancies? I think it was up to 25% start out that way.

I saw the "I'm having twins comment" before the JK, and I had to open your Ov chart, lol!!

Me too! I was like :dance::dance:

Dach - I'm only 5'4. I'll be right there with you!

Interesting article.

Me too! I was like :dance::dance:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I was HOPING someone would fall for it!!! :haha::haha::haha:

I have also been SOOOO tempted to post that I got a BFP on the sticky thread....and then fess up the next day....:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

My S-I-L had a set of twins. She couldn't wash the dishes at her sink because her arms wouldn't reach. She said she felt like a T-Rex with those little useless arms, lol!!

I guess DH will have to chauffeur me around and do all of our damn dishes then, lol. :happydance:

https://images.craigslist.org/3k73mc3le5O05X25R6b6peaed09799e141942.jpg

He needs a home...
He looks EXACTLY like Lola....

TWINS!!!:happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:

https://images.craigslist.org/3k73mc3le5O05X25R6b6peaed09799e141942.jpg

He needs a home...
He looks EXACTLY like Lola....

TWINS!!!:happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:

That is a beautiful little boy! :thumbup:

Twin lab puppies would be wonderful! :happydance:

When we fostered before...It was like a big, loud, nonstop dog party...We only had the last one for 4 days....and it was WILD!!! I hope that once they get used to each other...they will lounge more and party less...Our cats are older...That is really DH's only concern...He wants them to have a peaceful retirement...

When we fostered before...It was like a big, loud, nonstop dog party...We only had the last one for 4 days....and it was WILD!!! I hope that once they get used to each other...they will lounge more and party less...Our cats are older...That is really DH's only concern...He wants them to have a peaceful retirement...

DD's cat mostly stays upstairs now; we've seen what happens when the poor thing ventures out, lol. Barney is not rough with the kitty at all, but Miles does not like to play as much as the dog.

I miss fostering, but I think DH will leave me if I do it again. Are you going for that adorable boy? :happydance:

Not sure yet, but hubby did ask if they would meet us at the dog park....

He was dead set against it when i showed him a pic of a pug- chi mix for adoption...:growlmad:

There is also a silky terrier up for adoption....AND they don't shed.....but he wasn't interested...:growlmad:

But those long-legged, long-eared dogs....he just can't resist....:shrug:

Is this why he always gets his way?

I emailed about all three...:winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back