Ovulating on the pill?

Webbykinskt

Reaction score
Has anyone on the pill ever had ovulation pains? Last week I got pains that my mum said must have been ovulation but the silly trainee doctor 'assured' me that the pill leaves no chance for this but couldn't tell me what it could be.

If I did ovulate, I may have a little surprise lol

you dont ovulate on the pill im sure. i think thats what it does, stops the body from releasing eggs xx

Yeah that's what I thought, but if a few people can get pregnant on the pill, maybe they noticed these pains?

The pill stopps the eggs.

Most people get pregnant due to missed pill or taking drugs or something that stopps the pill from working. Though their not 100% effective if used correctly. Its highly unlikely, but you never know lol

I haven't missed any pills or had any antibiotics. I haven't even taken any any later that 6 hours after I should have. So must be pretty slim lol. Thanks everyone, at least now I won't get my hopes up. x

I think most pills work by doing three things at once..

1. reducing or changing CM to make it less sperm friendly
2. Preventing release of the egg
3. reducing the amount of lining in the womb so, if an egg did fertilise it wouldn't implant.

In that basis there is a possibility you may still ovulate but unlikely anything would come of it.

Of course there is always a risk of pregnancy.

If you read the leaflet that comes with your pills, that should tell you what your specific pill does.

xx

I think most pills work by doing three things at once..

1. reducing or changing CM to make it less sperm friendly
2. Preventing release of the egg
3. reducing the amount of lining in the womb so, if an egg did fertilise it wouldn't implant.

In that basis there is a possibility you may still ovulate but unlikely anything would come of it.

Of course there is always a risk of pregnancy.

If you read the leaflet that comes with your pills, that should tell you what your specific pill does.

xx

I will agree with Winter Belle... BCP acts as an abortificiant. Women can get pregnant while taking the pill perfectly, and this is because the pill doesnt necessarily prevent the production of ov in some people. However it prevents eggs from attaching to the uterus. ALL hormonal contraceptives (lo dose, iuds, morning after pill, patches…) are designed to stop implantation if all else fails. So you could in fact be having ov pain.

IMO I am against BCP for this reason. That and I hate medicine...

I agree with memartin & winterbelle.

1 in 1000 gets pg while on BCP's so it's unlikely, but possible!

Good luck, I'm also WTT & I sympathise with your frustration!! :hugs: xx

I've often thought about this. Sometimes I have pains during mid (pill) pack and wonder what it is, maybe its me just thinking about it too much though.

Thanks for all your advice :) I've read my pill pack and it says it does all the three things mentioned by WinterBelle.
dan-o... yeah that's why i'm worried i'm just imagining it all lol.
I don't like the fact i'm taking BCP but I suppose it's for the best right now. x

The contraceptive pill doesn't stop you ovulating.
As mentioned already, it works towards preventing implantation of a fertilised egg.

I was in Microgynan30. Information says:
A pill such as Microgynon 30 contains hormones which are like those your body produces (oestrogen and progesterone). These help stop you concieving again when you are already pregnant. The contraceptive pill protects you against getting pregnant in 3 ways:
- No egg is released to be fertilised by sperm
- The fluid in the neck of your womb thickens so it is more difficult for sperm to enter.
- The lining of the womb does not thicken enough for an egg to grow in it.

So, you don't ovulate when on that pill. Having said that I sometimes got mid-month pains, and my cm changed - you would think it would stay the same if you are not ovulating.

Once I was a bit late taking the pill and I was also booked in for an ultrasound a few days later. Ultrasound showed not just one released egg .........but two!!!

I get random pains all the time and I confess I'm a bit useless at telling the different types apart. Don't laugh but sometimes when I'm waiting for af I feel like I'm cramping and swear I'm about af is on her way, the next I've made a rude noise and feel much better. Ok you can laugh :rofl: I think I'm just a bit special!

My OH also reckoned his ex used to get cramps on alternating sides as though it was her ovaries hurting during af but seen as she was on the pill too then shouldn't have felt like that.

O/T my OH is hugging his belly and says he's having a bolognese baby! He's so adorable sometimes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->