Ovulation Info that might help TTC beginners to pinpoint peak fertile days

Gkmk

Reaction score
OPKs:
First tip: buy opks, for couple of months I relied only on bbt charting and CM patterns and was never confident about predicting the peak fertile days and ovulation.
Second tip: buy clearblue dual hormone opk if possible, I bought it this cycle and I am so glad I did that finally. Use it only how it is in the instruction manual. Don't start too early in the cycle and don't use it multiple times on a day. Just use your FMU and see if it works for you. Some hate this product but I love it because I can use FMU(cheap opks u can't use FMU), I can drink as much water I can during the day(which is very important during fertile days for more CM) and don't have to hold the urine for some hours(which was very stressful for me as I never got a positive)
I don't have a problem with the solid smiley getting stuck because I know it is just like a reminder to say that I am still fertile and can BD.
It seems clearblue dual hormone opks work differently and once u get solid smiley there is no point using it again because the monitor wil look for a rise in the levels from the previous day
Also when I got solid smiley I thought may be I should BD immediately as the surge could have happened anytime after my previous day FMU and I might ovulate any time soon. However going by my close to positive cheap opk and CM, I think the clearblue digital opk gave me an earlier update than regular cheap opk. So what clearblue claims might be true, u r fertile for two days after u receive the solid smiley
My experience with cheap opks is I rarely got positive. Either I get close to positive or I get the edge of test line same as control line I used to test three times a day and hated the whole experience as I never got a clear positive

EWCM:
I used to wonder how everybody else has EWCM except me and I am still worried I don't have loads of it because EWCM plays a very important role in conception.
First tip: Drink lots of water during ovulation. i drink atleast a litre of water as soon as i get up as i know it is very healthy and has loads of benefits(google it) i don't have loads of CM and mostly found my CM white and bit stretchy, but for the first time this cycle I am able to find a tiny dot of EWCM, which is completely clear and super stretchy, not lumpy as well, which is the best part. i also have the white stretchy CM but I found a tiny CM that I can confidently say is EWCM. Hope I find a tip that can help get loads of ewcm not just a dot!
I also try to check my CM after a bowel movement because that is when u can find decent amount of CM around the cervix.
I am also thinking of trying few things(like drinking grapefruit juice)that might help in ewcm, I will update you when I try and get good results.

BBT:
I enjoyed charting for couple of months, now I somehow hate it. I don't have the perfect post bbt temps, I don't get a good sustained rise after ovulation, my luteal phase is 11-12 days(13-14 days is good) Especially I get mad charting during TWW because of the dips. If you look at the big picture, yes I can say I have ovulated but can't be sure of my ovulation day because I seem to get the high temp only on 4dpo. One month I was so crazy, I used to worry about waking up earlier than the regular time as it will mess up the TWW pattern. Also people say the first thing you do in the morning has some effect on you the entire day. During TWW all I think about is a baby, which is so difficult for me as I am not good at handling emotions. I still chart around ovulation for 5 days to confirm a temp rise.

Supplements:
I take folic acid which people say is a must. Enjoy lots of sunshine as vitamin d plays important role on conception and overall health. Check if your vitamin d levels are low, mine were very low and I took high dosage supplements after talking to GP. You can also ask ur GP to do few regular blood tests before u start ttc. I have got mine done in January.
I honestly don't like to take vitamin supplements and instead try to maintain good diet( because of the different opinions on internet). However this cycle I bought pregnacare conception and will see if it benefits!

This is really helpful information, thank you!

We are technically NPNT so am holding off on the OPK until then but I am going to get pre-seed, which is a fertility friendly lube and might help with any lack of EWCM. I only mention this as it might be something you want to look into and my bestie conceived the first month of using pre-seed after TTC for 9 months prior to that...

One question on BBT - how hard out do you need to be? My understanding is that you need to take your temp before you sit up, but I can surely reach out and turn my alarm off, right??

Thank you for sharing!
Good points, the only thing is that instead of taking pregnacare vitamins (ttc vitamins complex), I would rather take just vitamins which are important for TTC and the mucus production (since you had problems with EWCM) - these are vit. B6 and vit. B12. Also, good point with vit D!!

I would also add ovufriend.com for charting - I love charting with OF, because it's easy and the system interprets everything.

I would forget - it's also worth checking the level of iron - iron deficiency may lead to ovulation problems.

Hi Rozzer
Switching off alarm should be okay(we move quite a bit during sleep as well), the time you take matters more.
Thanks for the input, I will try if I can increase my natural lubrication in couple of months, otherwise I will defo go for preseed. The thing that is stopping me from using preseed is that even if the sperms make it till the cervix, without decent natural lubrication the journey from cervix to Fallopian tubes might still be hard right? Any idea?

Hi Clara
Thanks for the advice, i thought conception ones are better. Does multi vitamin have more b6 and b12?

Hi Rozzer
Switching off alarm should be okay(we move quite a bit during sleep as well), the time you take matters more.
Thanks for the input, I will try if I can increase my natural lubrication in couple of months, otherwise I will defo go for preseed. The thing that is stopping me from using preseed is that even if the sperms make it till the cervix, without decent natural lubrication the journey from cervix to Fallopian tubes might still be hard right? Any idea?

I'm by no means an expert but reading through the pre-seed website, and reading between the lines, it looks like pre-seed assists with the whole journey? I assume the sperm need moisture to aid the journey, which pre-seed provides if there isn't enough natural moisture?

My bestie said she didn't ever think she had any CM, couldn't detect any and actually thought she had fertility issues which is why she used the pre-seed. I'm trying it because she couldn't recommend it highly enough (and having had cuddles with her two week old beautiful baby girl today, it seems the proof was in the pudding :flower: )

Also, this is a quote from a website in NZ (where I live) that you can buy pre-seed from:

"The Pre~Seed Multi 9 Applicator pack is designed to be used on your fertile days. In order to benefit from Pre~Seed unique fertility friendly formulation it is necessary that sperm are exposed to maximum concentrations of the product in order to give them maximum assistance in their journey through the cervix to the egg. Therefore it is necessary to deposit the Pre~Seed using the individual applicators provided high up in the vagina on the external cervix prior to intercourse. This will ensure that sperm are deposited straight into the product upon ejaculation."

I thought preseed is like an add on, thanks for letting me know. iam no expert as well and feel I have wasted few cycles with wrong BD timing and lack of information

@Clara I just reread your reply, sorry I thought u meant multivitamin, but now I get it, u mean I should just take few individual vitamins that can help in conception right? I will give it a thought, thanks

Yes, my Dr told me to take vit. B6, B12, lovaza (omega), vit. D and of course folic acid (but in higher dosage). I heard that taking folic acid in the higher dosage also helps getting pregnant.

Thanks for the list Clara, my GP told me only about folic acid. Do you mind giving me the recommended amounts your doctor mentioned please? I sometimes feel more confident when I hear few things that come from the doctors rather than the Random information on the Internet about recommended amounts.

As far as I remember well my doctor told me to take 5 mg of folic acid, vit B6 50mg and vit. b12 don't remember....sorry I will check it at home and will let you know! I recommend you also Lovaza, it's kind of expensive, but it's worth taking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->