Paediatrician told us to stop BF?

Meezerowner

Mum of twin girls
Reaction score
Long term BFers please wade in with advice here. My twins are nearly 26 months now and are still BFing at night.

My little twin 2 has iron def anaemia which we have been struggling to improve with medication (which she refuses passionately) and diet (she eats the right things but doesn't eat enough).

At our appointment with the paediatrician today he told me to stop the BF and to stop giving them cow's milk too. His argument was that it is too filling and stops them eating particularly noting that breast milk is sweet and the iron content is low.

Now they don't guzzle cow's milk all day long actually they really dont have that much (1-2 small cups - if that, and not before meals) and they are only BFing at night (with the occasional blip!). I really don't think that is what is effecting her appetite and I dont think that I should cut out all milk altogether that sounds crazy to me. For a start I reckon we'll end up with a calcium deficiency as well.

But part of me is a bit worried that this is my fault now for letting them continue BFing so long. But I don't think any of us are ready to stop yet.... am I being selfish here and should I be pushing them into weaning completely?

I asked to be referred to the dietitian (we saw one at about 8 months but obviously their eating habits have changed since then as they were doing BLW and mostly picking the odd thing up to eat). The doc said the dietitian would tell me the same thing about the milk.

On a side note I know all the right foods to be feeding her we do all the iron rich stuff and most of the food is home cooked too... unfortunately I cant control whether or not they actually eat stuff! :wacko: She is crazy about eating fruit and veg which is good and she does like meat too its just the quantities that are small.

Anyways any thoughts from long term feeders or others that have dealt with anaemia welcome.

Cow milk really doesn't have many benefits. It is a poor source of calcium, so it's not going to hurt to remove that. I have a 7 & 10 yr olds and we don't do much milk for that reason (as well as others). Instead we do lots of leafy greens broccoli is one of the best for calcium.

I'm not an expert with BFing but I wouldn't stop.

My son has anaemia and has been prescribed golfer syrup which I give him. I would have thought they could prescribe something similar for you and move the dosage to see what works best for your daughter to bring her iron levels back up.

You say she refuses medication passionately but really, it's our job as mums to get our children to take their medicine whether they like it or not. I squirt it bit by bit into my sons mouth while I hold him level. It takes about 30 seconds. X

Yes we have tried Galfer and Sytron. Basically what happens is she screams and kicks and fights and has to be pinned down by one person and another has to put the drops in her mouth while she is screaming. For a iron deficient toddler she is suprisingly strong :shrug: and am afraid of either hurting her physically or choking her with the drops. As you cant keep her head still enough to dispense them safely. The times I have got it in she just spits it straight out anyway.

I agree that parents are in charge of the health of their kids and we cant let our children rule.... otherwise it would be chocolate for breakfast all round but I really mean in this instance its not safe to dose her. Actually the paediatrican agreed with me not pushing her here and said his own son reacted the same and he stopped dosing him also.

She is fine with calpol in a dropper and will just take the dose straight away but she knows the difference by the colour even if I pretend the taste/smell gives it away. Also tried hiding it in various foods/drinks but the stuff tastes so strong she will just leave it.

Cow milk really doesn't have many benefits. It is a poor source of calcium, so it's not going to hurt to remove that. I have a 7 & 10 yr olds and we don't do much milk for that reason (as well as others). Instead we do lots of leafy greens broccoli is one of the best for calcium.

I'm not an expert with BFing but I wouldn't stop.

Thanks I hadn't factored in that greens had calcium too. She eats green stuff which is good. We have kale quite a bit and peas and green beans are a favourite for her.

In answer to your question about bf, no there is no way I'd be stopping. It's a wonderful source of bio available iron, as well as all the other good stuff. If they were bf all day every day and you were convinced that was filling them up instead of food, then maybe.

Can you resort to any sort of bribery for the medicine?!

I would wean, but I already lean towards weaning anyway. If you aren't entirely convinced that stopping bf will raise her appetite for other food, maybe you can try to limit the number and duration of the feeds first and see if she'll eat more.

We don't drink milk in our house so I don't see a problem with cutting the milk. Calcium interferes with iron absorption, but if you're worried, maybe substitute it with iron enriched formula?

Oh hell no! BM has all the right goodies in it to promote nutrient absorbtion.

I would not stop, the amount they are getting at night is not hurting their appetite during the day. The cow milk though I would get rid of.

My son had iron deficient anemia at 12 months, but he took his supplement fine. I suppose a 1 year old is easier to convince though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->