Pain Free Surges - Then How Will We Know?

JaneSharon86

Reaction score
Hi Ladies

When I ask people how I will know the difference between Braxton Hicks and true surges, I get the old 'oh, you'll know' wink wink type reaction. As in, the real surges will be extremely painful.

Which would be useful advice, however if we successfully manage to accomplish Hypnobirthing, then these surges wont be painful will they? They will just feel like pressure and tightenings, which is exactly what the Braxton Hicks ones feel like. So how will we know when we really are in true labour? :shrug:

Right now, my braxton hicks barely register in my mind. I assume true surges will require my attention and concentration, and effort to remain relaxed throughout :thumbup:

I think you will know because you will have to use some form or hypnobirthing or breathing exercises to manage the pain. If you are feeling braxton hicks now and know you don't have any trouble handling them when real contractions start you will notice the difference. My experience with contractions is they do really hurt! Even when I was breathing through them the pain was there but I felt in control of the pain instead of it controlling me.

Right now, my braxton hicks barely register in my mind. I assume true surges will require my attention and concentration, and effort to remain relaxed throughout :thumbup:

Exactly what you have to do!! I found I counted my breaths through each contraction as I way to concentrate. I found that my contractions lasted about 15-18 long breaths and the pain peaked around 8-12 so I could tell myself it was going to peak and then it was going to start getting better until it was gone. I felt so in control, but I had to be in the moment and aware of them to do it, if that makes any sense?

Gosh I have to admit, my first was a straight Pitocin labour when unfavourable, so I am actually worried about this as I am unsure what a natural contraction should feel like. Part of me secretly hopes that I cope so well that we need to do it unassisted as I never called the midwife in time! HAH! J/k.... (well, I wouldn't mind that either)

I would agree with the "concentration" part of it - you can watch TV with a Braxton hicks, a true contraction requires your mind and body to work together. That is unavoidable, and I suppose nature's design ;)

You will know - and it's nothing to do with pain. They become more intense. You will instinctively "go into yourself". I had a completely natural pain free birth, and although I wasn't sure it was labour to begin with (only because there was no pain), as soon as I reached the serious phase of labour (Natal Hypnotherapy define the stages of labour in a slightly different way to the medical profession), there was no denying it. The key is the same as for those not using hypnosis - when the surges become regular and stronger, and going for a walk/lie down doesn't make any difference to them.

Thanks very much for your replies all.

My other question was about positions. The antenatal classes I've been to all recommend staying up right and moving around.

In my hypnobirthing book, one suggestion is to lie down as you would in bed to become relaxed. Will this slow the labour down?

I wouldn't suggest labouring on your back - it closes the pelvis up significantly. I lay on my left side and slept through a good proportion of the serious phase of labour, but when it can to actually birthing my LO, I was stood up. HTH :)

I wouldn't suggest labouring on your back - it closes the pelvis up significantly. I lay on my left side and slept through a good proportion of the serious phase of labour, but when it can to actually birthing my LO, I was stood up. HTH :)

Thanks for this advice. So lying down on my side, pillow between legs like always should be okay? It wont slow the labour down?

When I reach the not-pushing phase...I will hopefully be in the water :flower:

i didn't bother with a pillow - I just lay down! I know what they say in the hypnobirthing book about not pushing, so bear with me here. I experienced the foetal ejection reflex and my body pushed (not a decision on my part!), and it was at that point that I got into the pool. I was in there for about an hour, before getting out and birthing upstairs.

If you are unmedicated by an epidural, you will likely find that your body forces you into the most natural position. I remember being completely "high" on G&A and yelling that I NEEDED to squat on the birthing ball (my OH didn't want me to as he thought I'd fall off - I did, but that was besides the point!) I cannot pinpoint why, it was just an overwhelming natural instinct. As long as you are aware of various positions, trust your body at the time. This instinct will change throughout the labour process to accommodate what your body needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->