pain meds from c section and breastfeeding

Kirstiedenman

Reaction score
hey ladies I might have to have a planned c section if my placenta doesn't move up and I was wondering have any of you ladies had a c section and bf what happens with the pain meds? Are you allowed to take them and bf or what happens there?
tia

my sister had c section and therefore needed pain meds and still fed her baby so i expect it's ok.

I don't know the ins and outs of it but my mun said the pain meds actually helped her breastfeed as she didn't feel any of the initial pains/discomfort of bfing due to the pain relief lol.

It was her 4th child, first c-section birth and first time she has managed to sucessfully breastfeed!

I know that c-sections can make it take longer for your milk to come in though so be prepared for that!

I had an emcs and everything they gave me was ok with bfing. The doctors knew I was ONLY going to bf (I was very adamant about them not giving any formula at the hospital) so I am not sure if he gave me different things as he would normally have (if I wasn't bfing)?

I was more worried about having a problem with her latching since I was not able to see her for several hours, but she had no problem.

I had to have a minor surgery when lo was a year old and was still bfing and I told the doctors that and they made sure that everything was ok with it. :)

Aw great thanks for the replies ladies. I was a little worried about what affects it could have on baby but obviously none! I am so nervous about the possibility of a section :( I had a great first labor and was hoping for a repeat but every pregnancy is so unpredictable!

I have had 2 c-sections and happily took my pain meds with both babies. It is fine to take them. I was told by multiple different doctors and nurses that the pain meds don't really get into your milk and if it does, the trace amounts won't affect the baby. Someone else posted that it helped with not having sore nipples. Maybe that's why I was never sore from breast feeding! It's been really easy to breast feeding my 10 month old. My 12 year old was tough and we didn't make it past 7 weeks.

lol sounds like a c section has a perk after all :haha: it's nice and reassuring to hear the other women have successfully bf with a c section.

I had a c-section too, and the meds were no problem. I asked every doctor and nurse who came into the room because I was so sure I couldn't have them while bfing, but every one of them said it was fine. Sorry to say, though, that they were not very helpful with bfing pain. That said, I took myself off of them quickly because I really wasn't in much pain from the c-section, so it might have been different if I had stayed on them longer.

Same as the others said....maybe the meds helped with the initial pain of feeding, but I don't know. I'm not sure what they will give you, but if you want to look it up I was given Endocet, and I think Motrin or something like that. Nobody said anything about it hurting the baby. Actually what I wanted was to take allergy medicine and they really discouraged that because it can lessen milk supply.

I had a section too and also no discomfort whilst breastfeeding so maybe the pain meds work for that too!

I had a c-section under general anethesia. After I woke up, I was in so much pain, I wasn't able to hold my daughter until 4-5 hours after her birth when they hooked me up to a morphine pump. She wasn't interested in feeding right then but boy that night she fed every 5-10 minutes for 10-20minute at a time. :wacko: It was a rough night but my milk was in by the end of the second day!
If not for the morphine, I would not have been able to MOVE much less hold my daughter. No problems at all feeding her and was sent home with a script for more pain meds. You'll need 'em!!!
I think if you over do it, baby might be a little sleepier than normal from what I've read.

My milk didn't come in that fast with my son who was a vaginal delivery and who latched right away! :shrug: He was a sleepy baby in the hospital though and the nursery didn't want to leave him with me. Once home and on HIS schedule, he did great.

So c-section doesn't necessarily mean your milk will be slow in coming in. All depends on how much your baby is latched on stimulating your breasts to produce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->