Pain relief...

MrsTurner2012

Reaction score
Fingers crossed I get my homebirth...

What I am wondering is what pain relief is available to me.

I'm not sure I'm brave enough for a total natural no pain relief birth!

With my son I had one shot of pethadine about 5 hours before he was born so it had worn off by the actual birth and also gas & air.

I'm planning on using a tens machine and I know the midwife can bring gas & air but can I have anything else if I'm a bit wimpy?

I would really, really recommend trying hypnotherapy if you have the time to practice. It was amazing. My birth was intense and hard work (4 hours of squatting to push) but it really wasn't all that painful. I didn't even know I'd been through transition until I started getting the urge to push. The midwives almost left because they didn't even think I was in established labour yet. I can't recommend it enough. I also used a TENS machine in early labour (well, up to pushing, which I consider 'early labour' because I had no idea I was that far along until then), but didn't need it once I hit 2nd stage. I had the gas and air there, but never needed it and didn't even think about it at the time.

I have heard that in some places they will do pethedine at home, but I don't think it's most places (because of the extra risks, I think they get nervous in case baby needs some help when born and they are out of hospital). If it was me, I'd go for the hypnotherapy to try to avoid the pethedine. Honestly, I think being at home, you will be so much more relaxed that you wouldn't even need it (and might not even need gas and air).

Thanks!

I'm a wimp when it comes to pain so just wanted a back up plan!

Ill have a look into that.

Glad to know the TENS worked for you also. I need to get mine ordered!

And me... I say Natal Hypnotherapy too! My birth story is in my siggy, but to cut a long story short, I had a pain free, drug free and fear free labour and homebirth, having worked all day in labour because I didn't think it could be labour because it didn't hurt!

At the end of the day, labour is a natural thing, and (my favourite reminder before birth) the sensations cannot overcome you because they ARE you! You really are that strong!

Listen, NO ONE gives birth without pain relief. PLENTY of people give birth without drugs. ;)

I recommend looking into yoga or active birth AS WELL as hypnotherapy. Birth is mental AND physical. ;)

Remember that pain is temporary.

Consider water birth - lots of women find it very effective for relief (contractions AND crowning).

Know what facilliates birth and what hinders it. Knows what facillitates release of oxytocin and endorphins and USE IT!

Visualisations, affirmations, acupressure, positive language, positive mental attitude, good support, calm, relaxed environment.... These will ALL help you hugely to stay more comfortable and feel that the sensations are completely manageable!

Most of us go a bit... mad.... at some point in labour. We renege on all our hopes and plans and say something off the wall and out of character. This is NORMAL! It does not make you less strong. It is a physiological response. It's usually a cocktail of hormones causing it. Sometimes it's near the end of labour (transition) when there is often a surge in adrenaline - the baby is almost here! The mother's thinking brain is not in charge at this point (and we don't want to wake it!) Sometimes it's earlier in labour in response to something causing that adrenaline release, in which case whatever it is causing stress for the mother needs to be addressed. In either case, it's not something "wrong" with you that means you request medication. I'd like to squash THAT bug once and for all! :)

Fantastic article on natural pain relief
https://www.theparentvortex.com/wordpress/10-pain-management-techniques-for-natural-childbirth/

And i highly recommend clary sage oil. A few drops on a flannel near your head during a contraction is heaven

Thanks ladies! I'm going to start lots of research on natural pain relief.

I had 3 shots of meptid (pethidine) at home, so it is possible in my area at least. I'm not a hypnotherapy type person, it just doesn't work for me. I still hope this time round to only need gas and air.

Really?!

I think I'd quite like the choice of drugs also!!

Will speak to my midwife in a few weeks & see what the rules are round here so I know what my options are

I was told that I could go for the option of meptid at home, but that the mw's weren't that keen on doing it. They felt that if that was needed, then really the best place to be was the hospital - possibly something to do with the side effects/effect on baby, but also the possibility of the need for further pain relief. Don't quote me on that though; I didn't want any drugs anywhere near the house so that I didn't have the temptation (they didn't even bring the G&A into the house!), so wasn't really listening to what they were saying properly!

Yes really, I promise, they had to phone the hospital before each one was given, but I don't think there was any problem with obtaining permission.

Whether it's the same in every area I don't know though, you'd have to check it out :)

Oh, there was never a problem with it if I'd have wanted it - just pop to the GP before birth to get the prescription raised, and then store it at home until the time comes. :)

ETA: just because the mw's said, doesn't mean I'd necessarily follow it ;)

Interesting thank you!

I like the option of going to the GP also.

My MW is quite supportive so I'm sure if its not available in my area normally there may be a way around it!

Are there any other drugs that are safe to use during labour that I could ask my GP for is I can't get the pethadine?

I just don't think paracetamol is going to cut it if I wimp out!

Are there any other drugs that are safe to use during labour that I could ask my GP for is I can't get the pethadine?

I just don't think paracetamol is going to cut it if I wimp out!

Not as far as I'm aware, but please don't underestimate either alterntive therapies or your body's natural painkillers. Work with your body, not against it as the medics expect - meaning avoid birthing on you back, but favour upright positions and moving to help baby descend. You are a woman, the most powerful of creatures - trust your body :flower:

Thank you.

I'm defo all for Active birthing. One reason I want a HB. I want to be able to move about and use the whole house if I need it.

The bath & shower are on hand! I'm too fat for water birth apparently so being at home will be so much more relaxing and hopefully help my labour progress better than I I was in hospital!

I'm gonna try n be brave so badly!!

Had a tens machine it kind of helped, mw arrived after LO was born so didnt get any gas and air. I just stayed in bath as long as possible!!!! I had quick labor.

I'm in the US in an area where MW don't carry any type of medical pain relief (medications, machines, gas and air, nothing). So I relied on walking around and the birth pool. Being in the water really helped.

I was put off a bath as last time I was really uncomfy but it was right at the beginning of labour.

Ill be too fat for the pool at the hospital so another reason to stay at he is so I can have some water relief at home should I want it.

The midwives will bring gas and air, that's great stuff :)

I'm too fat for birth pool in hospital too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->