Painting and Glossing

karlilay

Mum of 2 :)
Reaction score
Is it ok to paint and gloss my house in the first trimester?

It's really not recommended. From NHS website :

The risk of fumes from modern household paints harming your baby is low, but it's impossible to know exactly how small the risk is. This is because it's very difficult to measure the substances and chemicals your body absorbs during activities such as painting.
Very little research has been carried out into the effects of paint fumes on unborn babies, although the few studies carried out show that the risk is extremely low.
Any small risk there is to your baby is greatest during your first trimester (weeks 0-13). This is because your baby's organs start to develop during the first trimester. Any harmful fumes or chemicals at this stage could affect your baby more severely.
As a precaution, it's best to avoid painting and decorating until at least the 14th week of your pregnancy.

Make your OH do it ;)

Iv already done the bloody kitchen last week.

I'll wait. He's not allowed haha!

Tbh I painted my bedroom when in first or early second tri and I painted and glossed babies room in third tri. I'm going to gloss the kitchen today.

I am usually really cautious but paint is not lead based nowadays and tbh I'm more concerned about other pollutants than paint fumes. I opened all the windows in the house and took regular breaks. I also asked my midwife who was fine with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->