Panic Attacks

Genevevex

Reaction score
I have a history of panic attacks, but haven't really had any within the past year and a half--none throughout the entire pregnancy, so I haven't had to take any medication or anything.

However, last week I started having them again--chest pains that are very painful, annoying, and distracting. One lasted several hours, another was on and off throughout the entire work day! So, I called my OB to see if there was something to be done about them.

I think she thought I was crazy. She wanted to check my thyroid and gall bladder to make sure those weren't the culprits behind the chest pain, too. Got blood work done for my thyroid, but she wants me to go on a fat-free diet for a week to see if I continue to have the symptoms.

This all just seems ridiculous and annoying to me. I only have panic attacks when I'm relaxed, and now I'm stressing out so much over this diet, I don't think I COULD have a panic attack. If it was my gallbladder, wouldn't I have had attacks ALL weekend from all the fatty foods I was eating? But I didn't have any at all.

I feel miserable, and like I'm crazy, and I don't know what to do about it. I'm hungry all the time on this diet and I just want to EAT. Despite the fact that I DID have a panic attack--the day I started the diet. I haven't had one since, but as I said; I'm stressing out.

Opinions? Am I being overly/pregnantly dramatic?

U don't mention any other symptoms but chest pain. I have panic attacks as well, but usually I have other symptoms with them. The fact that u only get them when relaxed seems odd to me, would make me wonder if something else is going on.
If u weren't having other symptoms along with the chest pain, then honestly, it would make since for her to think there might be something else going on.

I don't have any other symptoms other than the chest pains; like a sharp pain, sometimes a tightness and it makes me feel breathless sometimes.

I've had them since I started college, on and off throughout the years (about 8 years total). Even when going to the doctor WHILE having one that lasted over 48 hours, I was reassured again and again that they were only panic attacks.

I've done a lot of research on them over the years, too. The form of panic attack I have is actually a type of post traumatic stress disorder. Rather than processing stress at the TIME of the stressor, I stay cool and calm and collected. But, my body still has to process the stress somehow, so it manifests as a physical reaction AFTER the stressor has passed.

Usually when I say, "I'm having a panic attack" people are expecting me to hyper-ventilate, or freak out or something, but that's not what happens. I wish there was another term for it, but there's not.

Ug. So frustrated! And even after keeping strictly to a fat-free diet since Tuesday, I had two more panic attacks tonight after getting home from work. I think it's safe to say the diet has not worked and it is highly unlikely to be caused by my gallbladder.

hmm..perhaps panic attacks are different for everybody, but thats great that your getting it checked out and they're actually looking into things that may be causing your symptoms. I have an underactive thyroid, and do sometimes get panic attacks, mine are pretty typical, sense of impending doom, racing heart, fast breathing, knowing what they are helps me control them. Hope you get some results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->