Panicking now :( PLEASE HELP

casann

mummy
Reaction score
I'm wanting a homebirth with my second baby (Due anytime now :D) But my midwife's told me if my blood pressure goes over 90 diasystolic (I'm usually between 83 and 88) I won't be allowed a homebirth.

Also, they're apparently understaffed at the moment so wouldn't be able to cater for a home birth.

Does anyone know if I can insist I have a homebirth even if my blood pressure goes high? And what are the risks of doing so? And does anyone have any experience of having a homebirth with high blood pressure?

It's really only upsetting me so much as I've never left Oscar for any length of time. And if I do have to leave him, I'll have to leave him with my OH so I'll be all by myself giving birth.

Thanks for any replies :)

I'm wanting a homebirth with my second baby (Due anytime now :D) But my midwife's told me if my blood pressure goes over 90 diasystolic (I'm usually between 83 and 88) I won't be allowed a homebirth.

Also, they're apparently understaffed at the moment so wouldn't be able to cater for a home birth.

Does anyone know if I can insist I have a homebirth even if my blood pressure goes high? And what are the risks of doing so? And does anyone have any experience of having a homebirth with high blood pressure?

It's really only upsetting me so much as I've never left Oscar for any length of time. And if I do have to leave him, I'll have to leave him with my OH so I'll be all by myself giving birth.

Thanks for any replies :)

You have the right to birth wherever you want to, regardless of medical conditions. The midwives are obliged to send somebody out to you, whether it's a midwife or some emergency technicians/ambulance crew, if they're THAT understaffed. You can refuse any type of medical treatment, including going to a hospital in the first place.

I'm not sure what the risks are though, you'll have to let somebody more experienced answer that :kiss:

homebirth.org has a section 'can I have a homebirth if' that mentions high BP I think.

That's more than just a bit rubbish (trying not to sware) of them!!! I think you and I both know that they potentially want ot coax you into hospital or the birthing centre. This is rare but, unfortuantly is not totally uncommon. Stick to your guns, they amy see births everyday and to them it is another birth - but to you, this is your birth and something that most women only get to do once or twice in their lifetime, and it is important, and will effect you.

Then there are the health implications of this reading - your rate has only risen slightly and it is the Systolic BP that is more significant in Id pre-E along with of couse a myraid of other symptoms. Research this well.. although you don't have to justify your choice for a home birth.

Have a look at the NICE guidelines on Interpartum care, as well as other reseach and you can assess what you are comfortable with make make an informed choice.

Stay at home and they have a duty to attend you when you call.

Make it known that you still intend to have a home birth, and I'd be getting an appointment with one of the supervisor of midwifes, or your head of MW.. so they can tell you how they are going to provide you with the care you need. This is NOT the time to have the rug pulled at from under you! It's appauling!
XxX

My MW has also given me the "if your BP goes over 90 there will be a problem/staffing issues will also mean no homebirth" etc... but I just said, "it's ok, I've done lots of research on those things and I know where I stand". I thought whats the point in arguing as they are such 'what if's' for a start, and again they still have to honour your birth wishes. Good luck with it all and try not to let it get to you :) x

your less likely to have your BP caus problems with your labor if your relaxed and happy in your enviroment which if you want a home birth would probably mean being at home rather than a hospital, dont take any nonsense about "staffing issues" its not your problem if they dont have the staff and if they have you planning a homebirth then they should have make sure for the month around your due date that they had adaqute community MW's to cover you going into labor

There is no such thing as not allowed! You can choose to go against recommendations, but many recommendations are over cautious and fly in the face of what is best for normal birthing.

Staff issues or not you should be attended. If needs be write to the head of midwifery for your area and simply state that you intend to homebirth and you expect to be attended by midwives thank you very much.

Don't be bullied by your antenatal team whether that be GP, MW, OB when it's brought up just say I understand your recommendations however I intend to homebirth as this will be better for my blood pressure and labour as a whole. Home births are as safe as hospital births and proven to decrease the need for pain relief and interventions etc.

It is difficult when you are being told no and professionals are tutting at you because we're trained to follow their orders but don't be bullied into anything you don't want to do when it's your birth!

Thank you so much for the advice ladies !! Feel so much more relaxed now . Going to midwife on Monday and letting her know that i will still be having the home birth regardless of my blood pressure as in my opinion i'll be more stressed and prone to complications in a hospital giving birth on my own the in my home where my family are around me . Can't help shake the feeling that something wll go wrong thoiugh and it will be my fault ... but i do know it just as likely to go wrong in hospital then home so i'm going to follow my instincts . Not looking forward to the midwife telling me how much i'm putting my baby at risk ect x

I agree with everyone above!

With DD I'd planned a home birth, I even had the pethedine in the house (might still be knocking around!), my midwife was on holiday, so on my due date I went to see a MW I'd never seen before, she was mean, she took my blood pressure with a normal cuff when I need a large, my blood pressure was high (unsurprisingly) and my hands and feet were swollen, it was warm, I was heavily pregnant, but she thought I might have pre-eclampsia, so went to hospital for tests etc... and got the all clear and was given a sweep.

3 days later I went into labour, we eventually called the midwives and the on-call one would be out shortly to assess me. It was the mean nasty one, so yeah, my BP went up a bit and I was in labour! Baby's head was swollen and she didn't believe that I thought I had a slow trickle, so she swabbed me. Took my temp and it was raised too, so she advised me to go to hospital.

Labour went as planned in hospital, only had gas and air, managed fairly well, but was super annoyed at not having my homebirth as I'd planned. The only good (if you can call it that) that came out of the whole experience was the swab showing that I have GBS.

If I ever see that MW in this pregnancy I'm asking for a new one! I don't think she supports the idea of home births

I would stick to your guns hun, they know what you've planned. Particularly if the hospital you would go to isn't too far away (another reason they didn't like it for me because "what if something happens, it can take 35 mins to get to Treliske" grrr). So stick to your guns, have your homebirth and go over their head!

Thank you so much for the advice ladies !! Feel so much more relaxed now . Going to midwife on Monday and letting her know that i will still be having the home birth regardless of my blood pressure as in my opinion i'll be more stressed and prone to complications in a hospital giving birth on my own the in my home where my family are around me . Can't help shake the feeling that something wll go wrong thoiugh and it will be my fault ... but i do know it just as likely to go wrong in hospital then home so i'm going to follow my instincts . Not looking forward to the midwife telling me how much i'm putting my baby at risk ect x

some things could happen no matter where you are but by staying at home you reduce the chance of of a whole load of things being meddled with and interventions that can lead to more interventions.

If you remain more relaxed because you can do as you bloody well please and allow yourself you truly listen to your body it will keep itself and the baby safe.

Statistically a HB is just as safe as hospital But it reduces need for interventions/pain relief wanted/EMCS so IMO opinion things go wrong in a hospital, but at home labour happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->