Pap?

Not telling this to scare you, but when I was about 23 or so, I had abnormal bleeding after sex and went to the doctor. He did a pap and the pap came up fine. I still kept having bleeding after sex and kept going back to the doctor and telling them something was wrong. They finally decided to biopsy my cervix (which is sometimes what they will do if you keep getting abnormal pap results) and I had precancerous cells on my cervix. They classify them in 3 stages:1. Mildly Abnormal Cells (cervical dysplasia) 2. Moderately abnormal cells and 3. severly abnormal cells. Then, of course those can develop into cervical cancer.

Mine were moderately abnormal and I had to have what they call a LEEP procedure performed where they cut off the abnormal cells on the cervix. Since the cervix is kind of shaped like a donut, they shaved off the inner ring of it. They then tested the stuff they took off to make sure all of the edges were clear of abnormal cells/dysplasia. I then had to have pap smears every 6 months for 2 years. Everything has been okay ever since and the cervix regenerates so it really shouldn't affect your fertility. My doctor said they usually recommend that you don't get pregnant until a year after a LEEP procedure.

The only thing I'm worried about is a pap not showing these abnormalities again and if I don't have any bleeding, how would I know? I hear this happens rarely and most paps pick up and precancerous cells.

Thanks for the story. It is a really freaky thing. My dr told me not to worry because she knows how I can get. I am just hoping I am fine.

I'm sure you will be. If your doctor told you not to worry, then you probably don't need to worry :)

I had a pap early on with my first pregnancy that caused me to spot, and me think I was loosing our baby. I will never, ever consent to a pap again in pregnancy. It also came back abnormal.

At my 6 weeks check up they did a pap as they had to check to make sure it was not abnormal anymore. It wasn't. They say alot of false positives when pregnant, don't worry it will all work out!

I don't understand why they do pap smears during pregnancy. I do hear they produce a lot of abnormal results, and they don't even do anything about it until after the baby is born. Why not just do it during the postpartum check up then instead of needlessly make lots of women worry throughout their pregnancies?

I'm debating declining one on Monday during my exam (I had a pap smear 2 years ago that came back normal, and they recommend getting it done every 3 years now). I had a traumatic experience during the pap smear in my first pregnancy because they had a resident do it, and she couldn't find my cervix.

If they find something THAT bad they can save your life...i rather get a pap....i had one and it showed precancerous cells, it could have shown worse...im thankful this is there and dont really know why people complain about a lifesaving thing that actually saves lives..

Hun I get paps, every year religiously. Not doing one in pregnancy (which that DOES cause miscarriage!) is not going to hurt me nor my unborn baby. Period. They should not be done during pregnancy unless you are one of those women who never took care of herself then yeah your stuck...but not me. I go to my appts. yearly, I know what is going on with my body. They can keep their paps during pregnancy. I am not chancing my babys life again.

Im a nurse and you really need to educate yourself if you think there are things that a pap cant help you you find out during your pregnancy, which is why they do it. A pap cannot make you m/c but other things can. A pap just is a swab that touches the cervix, no not comfy and yes because of the extra blood flow can cuase spotting but that can happen anyplace on the body cause of extra blood flow, it will not cause a m/c though. This will scare people and misinform people to not get this when you never know if something is there that can harm you or your baby. I also hear from people well im married 20 yrs and we never cheated well there things that lay dorment for 20 yrs.....so a pap is a wonderful invention to help you and your baby stay healthy, yes its up to you if you wish to have it , but i for one will always put the health of my child before anything this includes me sitting through a pap that is not comfortable. :blush:

Thanks girls for the input it's is muchly appreciated. I will check the link when I am on a computer :) I kept having to call my dr back because I was super paranoid that it was something I could pass but she assured me that I can't.

did they let you know how it went. Im sorry your going through this at such a stressful time :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"