Pap?

Lunabelle33

Reaction score
Kay, I dunno if you ladies got this done when you found out but my dr did a pap on me to check for std an abnormalities...I had an abnormality there in november last year, Which is still there :( They are gunna be checking for cervical cancer...I am so hurt by this...I dont know how to cope. Apparently they cant run any tests until the baby is born.

Has this happened to anyone here? Not just when they were pregnant but through their life? Did the outcome come out fine?

Kay, I dunno if you ladies got this done when you found out but my dr did a pap on me to check for std an abnormalities...I had an abnormality there in november last year, Which is still there :( They are gunna be checking for cervical cancer...I am so hurt by this...I dont know how to cope. Apparently they cant run any tests until the baby is born.

Has this happened to anyone here? Not just when they were pregnant but through their life? Did the outcome come out fine?

you should be fine its more then common..i know its still scary...

if they do find something they will wait till baby is born but dont worry as these types of things move like a snail....its really does

keep ur chin up hun:hugs:

Abnormalities are more common than it may seem. I have quite a few friends who were told they had abnormal results, then had the biopsies done and all was okay.

I know it's easier said than done, but I would try not to worry. :hugs: Do you know what type of abnormality they found? There's a big list here that goes into things that may help put your mind at ease https://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/detection/Pap-HPV-testing

They are called "pre-cancerous" cells which is a terribly scary name. All this means is if they are left untreated they could become cancerous usually in 5 to 10 years. When I told my doc I have never had an abnormal pap he called me abnormal. Most women at some point will have an abnormality of some kind. You have nothing to worry about just make sure you follow any treatment plans as soon as the baby is born and you are healed.

If you have any questions please feel free to message me. I used to work in reproductive health and counseled women on abnormal paps, the treatments etc. I have also assisted in all related procedures.

I had a pap early on with my first pregnancy that caused me to spot, and me think I was loosing our baby. I will never, ever consent to a pap again in pregnancy. It also came back abnormal.

At my 6 weeks check up they did a pap as they had to check to make sure it was not abnormal anymore. It wasn't. They say alot of false positives when pregnant, don't worry it will all work out!

I had a pap early on with my first pregnancy that caused me to spot, and me think I was loosing our baby. I will never, ever consent to a pap again in pregnancy. It also came back abnormal.

At my 6 weeks check up they did a pap as they had to check to make sure it was not abnormal anymore. It wasn't. They say alot of false positives when pregnant, don't worry it will all work out!

I don't understand why they do pap smears during pregnancy. I do hear they produce a lot of abnormal results, and they don't even do anything about it until after the baby is born. Why not just do it during the postpartum check up then instead of needlessly make lots of women worry throughout their pregnancies?

I'm debating declining one on Monday during my exam (I had a pap smear 2 years ago that came back normal, and they recommend getting it done every 3 years now). I had a traumatic experience during the pap smear in my first pregnancy because they had a resident do it, and she couldn't find my cervix.

I don't understand why they do pap smears during pregnancy. I do hear they produce a lot of abnormal results, and they don't even do anything about it until after the baby is born. Why not just do it during the postpartum check up then instead of needlessly make lots of women worry throughout their pregnancies?

I'm debating declining one on Monday during my exam (I had a pap smear 2 years ago that came back normal, and they recommend getting it done every 3 years now). I had a traumatic experience during the pap smear in my first pregnancy because they had a resident do it, and she couldn't find my cervix.

Yup, I get them with my yearly exam. I will refuse any from now on while pregnant.

I had one early on too and while my results came back normal, it did cause a lot of scary spotting... I'm sure everything will be fine. I've had a lot of friends in yuur situation and it turned out fine

Paps are extremely important during pregnancy. They detect things besides abnormal cells. Take for instance BV. If left untreated it can cause preterm birth. And a wide range of stds are treated during pregnancy to keep from passing through to the baby during delivery.

Paps are extremely important during pregnancy. They detect things besides abnormal cells. Take for instance BV. If left untreated it can cause preterm birth. And a wide range of stds are treated during pregnancy to keep from passing through to the baby during delivery.

If you are having paps annually though it would be picked up. They say that these paps increase the risk of miscarriage as well...

BV can happen at at time to any woman caused by a ph imbalance. This can actually be brought on by pregnancy itself. Far greater risk of MC due to it than the pap. I have personally MCed because of bv in second tri.

BV can happen at at time to any woman caused by a ph imbalance. This can actually be brought on by pregnancy itself. Far greater risk of MC due to it than the pap. I have personally MCed because of bv in second tri.

But they can test vaginal fluids, no need to do a pap...I have had BV before which I thought was a yeast infection. They diagnosed by doing a simple swab. I would think they could do the same during pregnancy. I am so crazy I go to the doctor for every pain, I don't care! lol I am just saying if there are other alternatives then I would do that, no go for something that brings even more risk...

really? I rather have the pap that may save my life and spot for a bit...because there are things that a pap can find that others cant and they can actually cause m/c:shrug:

If they find something THAT bad they can save your life...i rather get a pap....i had one and it showed precancerous cells, it could have shown worse...im thankful this is there and dont really know why people complain about a lifesaving thing that actually saves lives..

If they find something THAT bad they can save your life...i rather get a pap....i had one and it showed precancerous cells, it could have shown worse...im thankful this is there and dont really know why people complain about a lifesaving thing that actually saves lives..

Hun I get paps, every year religiously. Not doing one in pregnancy (which that DOES cause miscarriage!) is not going to hurt me nor my unborn baby. Period. They should not be done during pregnancy unless you are one of those women who never took care of herself then yeah your stuck...but not me. I go to my appts. yearly, I know what is going on with my body. They can keep their paps during pregnancy. I am not chancing my babys life again.

Thanks girls for the input it's is muchly appreciated. I will check the link when I am on a computer :) I kept having to call my dr back because I was super paranoid that it was something I could pass but she assured me that I can't.

I had my yearly pap done in June and my first prenatal appointment in September. The doctor said that was good enough and I didn't need another one, so I'm assuming they were able to test for anything they needed to in other ways...

Can i ask how old you are LunaBelle?
in the UK they dont do 'Paps' or Smear tests here until we're 25 (ridiculous, when it could catch CC early!)
but apparently as youre growing up, you have various different cells which could cause an abnormal result before 25.

generally after 25 cells calm down and get into their regular state and inturn results are more positive than negative.

not sure on guidelines in other places.
Hard not to worry but :hugs: try not too, if they were more concerned then they'd do more tests xx

Not telling this to scare you, but when I was about 23 or so, I had abnormal bleeding after sex and went to the doctor. He did a pap and the pap came up fine. I still kept having bleeding after sex and kept going back to the doctor and telling them something was wrong. They finally decided to biopsy my cervix (which is sometimes what they will do if you keep getting abnormal pap results) and I had precancerous cells on my cervix. They classify them in 3 stages:1. Mildly Abnormal Cells (cervical dysplasia) 2. Moderately abnormal cells and 3. severly abnormal cells. Then, of course those can develop into cervical cancer.

Mine were moderately abnormal and I had to have what they call a LEEP procedure performed where they cut off the abnormal cells on the cervix. Since the cervix is kind of shaped like a donut, they shaved off the inner ring of it. They then tested the stuff they took off to make sure all of the edges were clear of abnormal cells/dysplasia. I then had to have pap smears every 6 months for 2 years. Everything has been okay ever since and the cervix regenerates so it really shouldn't affect your fertility. My doctor said they usually recommend that you don't get pregnant until a year after a LEEP procedure.

The only thing I'm worried about is a pap not showing these abnormalities again and if I don't have any bleeding, how would I know? I hear this happens rarely and most paps pick up and precancerous cells.

I also wanted to mention that my doctor thought it was okay to wait until after pregnancy for my pap since I get there every year on the dot and my last one was in November of 2012. My next one wouldn't be much longer over a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->