Parenting and smoking cannabis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piper84

Reaction score
There's an interesting thread running in Pregnancy Club (https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/pregnancy-club/1299635-anyone-else-have-partner-smokes-pot.html) about parents smoking cannabis while the kids are asleep, with some arguing that it can be done responsibly and others arguing that it's completely irresponsible, no matter how you do it.

What are your views on cannabis consumption while parenting infants and toddlers?

No. Full stop. I don't care if the children are sleeping, gone, or playing in the next room.

I have no problems with cannabis smoking at all... I think the issue is the effect if can have on a person when they are looking after a child (even if they are asleep) it will slow you down make you less able to react etc etc but i feel the same about drink, i wouldn't think it would be terribly clever to drink a bottle of wine or w.e whilst your child was upstairs asleep and alot of people do that...

Obviously i don't think a person should be smoking around a child anyways (as i said above) i also don't agree with smoking in the same property/area as a child. (due to second hand smoke etc)

I try not to judge people but this is one of things I'm afraid I do judge people on all the time. I think it's wrong, completely. It's not fair on children at all to have a parent doing drugs in the house or for them to have to potentially deal with the health effects of second hand smoke. I feel the same about alcohol with children in the house too and about smoking cigarettes. Wrong wrong wrong.

If you're okay with a parent having a glass of wine when their kid is in bed, smoking a spliff is no different. There is a difference between getting a little high and relaxing and being so stoned you can't function, just the same as with a drink. There is nothing anyone can say to make me feel like a bad parent for feeling this way.

But obviously I don't mean smoking in the house or anywhere near kids! I guess that is the only difference between alcohol and cannibal, unless you use a vaporiser.

I still think the ILLEGAL factor comes highly into play here.

Having a small amount of cannibas for personal use and smoking it in the privacy of your own garden is not really much of a risk. A lot of people do this.

But obviously I don't mean smoking in the house or anywhere near kids! I guess that is the only difference between alcohol and cannibal, unless you use a vaporiser.

I'm confused. If you don't mean smoking when there's kids in the house why did you compare smoking a spliff to a parent having a glass of wine while kids are in bed?

I mean not smoking inside the house where ivy would be affected by the second hand smoke.

Ah I see, thanks for clarifying lol! I did think I was reading it wrong somewhere haha!

I know a lot of parents who have a glass of wine of an evening and i know just as many who pop outside for a spliff once the kids are asleep. I think so long as no one is getting wasted be it on weed or alcohol there isn't really any harm done. Most of the people i know who smoke weed are very well paid professionals think nurses, doctors, solicitors. Having one spliff to relax is no different from having a glass of wine to relax in my opinion apart from the illegal side of it. Everyone is different though and everyone has their own opinion but i have never seen anyone get stoned and start a fight or get abusive but i have seen a hell of a lot of it from alcohol. I don't smoke weed now but did as a teen i much prefer a glass of wine indoors in the warm :)

I dont know anything about it so wont pass judgement,however I dont agree with smoking (any kind) anywhere around children.Its not their choice to smoke and they shouldnt have to suffer the consequences from 2nd hand smoke.

Also people who spend all their money on drugs/drink/cigs then cant feed/clothe their kids.But I guess thats a different thread.

No, just no. I'm sorry but i think it's quite irresponsible for parents to have a spliff on a night. It's illegal, end of.

I kicked my ex out for getting high WHILE caring for our twin infants.
I never cared if he smoked when they were asleep, but he was always high around them.
Even though I would always be sober, it bothered me that he was always high.
I thought it was irresponsible and stupid of him.

He would also grind it all over the kitchen and I was finding weed crumbs on the baby bottles... so....

I think my case is extreme. I think anyone should be able to enjoy something like that when the time is right, but I feel very uncomfortable when people smoke/get high/drunk around their children.

I don't really care if somebody has children or not, the fact is that taking illegal drugs is wrong regardless of who takes it when.

Did they grow it themselves? *also illegal* if not then chances are they bought it from a dealer, that dealer got it from somewhere else and is part of a bigger picture, by buying drugs you are funding something bigger i.e crime and human trafficking, I could never willingly be involved or condone anyone that plays a part in that system.

Also, why run the risk of someone reporting you to social services for using drugs in a home with children?

It is illegal here, except in medical necessity. If it is illegal then no it shouldn't be done, period..JMO

If someone really was stupid enough to think that just because I occasionally have a spliff to unwind that it makes me a bad parent with no other evidence, I would have nothing to worry about because there is no aspect of my parenting that is questionable. Maybe it depends on the environment you grew up in but I grew up with a family and family friends that smoked cannibas recreationally (and they are not losers, my dad was an artist and architect and my mum owned her own knitwear company) so I have never viewed it as something that is morally wrong or different than alcohol. Personally, I feel more in control when I'm a little stoned than when I drink. How many people do you know that have been arrested for having a very small amount of cannibas and smoking it in their private property?

If cannibas were legal, would you all feel differently? It bewilders me that alcohol is viewed as somehow safe and cannibas evil, when there isn't a single recorded case of cannibas alone causing death.

Sorry of that didn't make sense, I'm on my phone and simultaneously cooking dal :haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"