Part-time cloth nappies

topcat

Mum to a little girl!
Reaction score
I'm now really keen to try out cloth nappies for Lucy. However...we're in Germany and in a rented apartment. We do have access to a washing machine in the cellar (not as scary as it sounds!) and it's a new Miele - so fantastic for washing. But it is not cheap to use. We pay approx 2-3 euros per wash. (2 for a quick wash and 3 for a long high temp wash.)
We've not stayed here long so don't know how good it's going to be for access (not sure how many of our neighbours use it). In our old place we did 3 to 4 washes per week. I am considering putting in a washing machine in our kitchen as I don't think it will be any more expensive to run.

So my first question is - until we sort out the washing machine situation, what's your thoughts on doing cloth bum part time? Say two or three nappies a day? Is this worthwhile? (my reasons are not just the cost, but also environmental)

Secondly - can I put the dirty nappies in with a 'normal' wash? So in with towels, pants, socks, t-shirt. Or do they have to be on their own?

Many thanks in advance.

I'm now really keen to try out cloth nappies for Lucy. However...we're in Germany and in a rented apartment. We do have access to a washing machine in the cellar (not as scary as it sounds!) and it's a new Miele - so fantastic for washing. But it is not cheap to use. We pay approx 2-3 euros per wash. (2 for a quick wash and 3 for a long high temp wash.)
We've not stayed here long so don't know how good it's going to be for access (not sure how many of our neighbours use it). In our old place we did 3 to 4 washes per week. I am considering putting in a washing machine in our kitchen as I don't think it will be any more expensive to run.

So my first question is - until we sort out the washing machine situation, what's your thoughts on doing cloth bum part time? Say two or three nappies a day? Is this worthwhile? (my reasons are not just the cost, but also environmental)there is absolutely no reason why you cant start out (or stay) parttime, most people use cloth parttime while they are stash building and i know one lady (tigerlady) uses cloth parttime due to childcare rules.....if you save 2-3 disposables a day going into landfil / cost wise it will make a difference:)

Secondly - can I put the dirty nappies in with a 'normal' wash? So in with towels, pants, socks, t-shirt. Or do they have to be on their own?
there is absolutely no reason why they cant go in with other clothes etc......its just down to personal preference.....tho with Cloth nappies you have to use very little washing powder etc as you get soap build up in your nappies so this might make you do seperate washes?
Many thanks in advance.

hope that helped some?

sara

xxxxxxxxx

I agree with Sara, everytime you use a cloth nappy you are not using a sposie, which is great. So part time is better than not at all!

Also I usually wash my nappies with my clothes, I have come to terms with the fact I am too disorganised to do separate washes and they are never pooey so I don't mind. If they were I would do them separate or give them a good rinse first. Also over winter we have not been using the tumble dryer and have been drying on radiators, so it seems better this way.

:D

Thanks ladies, now I just have to decide what nappies to go for....exciting! I really fancy AIOs they sound like the best for us.
I am most keen on - itti bitties, cushie tushies and bum genius. My LO is about 17lb (not had her weighed for ages!) still in 3-6month clothes and is quite long and lean. Not really got chubby thighs. We often get poo leakage up her back. Any suggestions as to which will fit her shape best? Or is it just an excuse to try out lots of cute nappies? :)

I LOVE the BG AIOs, they are my favourite nappy. But all those you like are great! I would get a few to see what fits best. :)

Sorry to hog the thread a bit but Kirsten, what do you do about the amount of washing powder you use if you're including nappies in a normal wash?

I just use the amount you're meant to use with nappies and don't put any particularly dirty clothes in the wash (usually ones Freya has eaten in!) sometimes something will come out still looking a bit grufty so I just put it back in the machine to be washed again next time round. It seems to be as much as I can manage to actually get everything washed in my house nevermind do it in a certain way! :dohh:

:D

Sorry to hog the thread a bit but Kirsten, what do you do about the amount of washing powder you use if you're including nappies in a normal wash?

No problem, I was going to ask the same question myself! :)

LOL i would say all of those you have menioned in your post are great, i havent personally tried Cushie Tushies but they look soooo cute !!! i would definately recommend just buying one of each kind you are interested in before you commit to buying a few that way you can figure out what works for you and Lucy.......only thing is if you are looking at AIO's they tend to take the longest to dry so you might wanna look into some pockets as well if you dont have good drying facilities:)

sara

xxxxxxx

I want to say about the BG AIOs, they take about 1.5 hours in my tumble dryer, but only a couple of hours on a radiator, which I never knew until recently! :thumbup:

I want to say about the BG AIOs, they take about 1.5 hours in my tumble dryer, but only a couple of hours on a radiator, which I never knew until recently! :thumbup:

oooh thats great...i never put mine on the radiator when i had it ....(send her my love Kirstin:haha: ) i'm always a little scared to put anything with PUL on the radiator incase i melt it !!!!:dohh::haha:

my BG V3 are very quick drying aswell, anything microfibre basically. i don't put the wrap on the radiator to dry but on occasion it has nipped on for 10 minutes just to take the last bit of damp off the inside.

I think my nature babies are perhaps the fastes drying thou

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->