Past myself with worry ....irregular hb on doppler

nicksi27

Reaction score
Hi ladies I had my 20 week scan the other day and all was well. Since feeling movement I've been using doppler less and less but last night I hadn't felt baby for few hours and used it. The hb was absolutely all over the place it was so erraric. I was ready to go to hospital but decided to listen in again and it was better but sounded like it had an extra quick beat after say every 6-8 beats, like a little spike thats the only way I can describe it. Baby started moving so I decided to wait till morning. I got in a panic this morning paranoid about movement again so checked hb again and could find it but it still sounded irregular. I went to hospital and they scanned me quickly and showed me hb flickering away. She tried to listen to hb on ultrasound but it was quiet (anterior placenta getting in way) so she got doppler out. She couldn't find hb easily and said that baby was tucked facing my back. She said she heard hb faintly and it sounded fine but literally listened for about 10secs I felt relieved for a few hours but I've checked using doppler and hb still sounds different to what it has for the past however many months I've been finding it. The midwife said to stop using doppler and I know she's right but I can't shift this worry. I can't stop crying Im terrified I'm losing my baby just like my first baby (lost him at 20 weeks when his hb stopped due to placenta not working).

I feel like I've done all I can and can't go back to hospital because they've told me not to use my doppler and I am getting plenty of movement (touch wood).

Sorry for such an essay im just so upset and in a state. My OH just thinks my worry is uneccesery because we have seen the hb but Ive got this sick to my stomach feeling that any day now I'm gonna lose her :cry:

As long as it's between 120ish and 180, baby is fine. You actually WANT baby's heartbeat to fluctuate. That means they're happy and moving around, etc. If it's too low or too high for more than 10-20 seconds, after poking at baby & trying to rouse them, then I would worry.
But always, if you feel you need to be checked out, go get checked mama.

sorry for your loss
try to stop using the Doppler hun will make yourself sick with worry

You should not be using your doppler to satisfy your worries if you feel a lack of movement. If you feel a lack of movement, leave the doppler alone and call midwife/triage. Your doppler is for fun.

As for faster beats, agree with pp, heart beat should go up and down a bit, particularly if baby is moving. Also, you may be hearing the baby kick out at the doppler, in previous pregnancies, my babies have always tried to push back when pressure is applied from a doppler or ultrasound.

I'm so sorry for your loss, I can only imagine how stressful it must be being pregnant again and worrying about something being wrong with your LO.
I would say that unless you are trained to use a doppler as a diagnostic tool it is probably best to stay away from it as it really can be hard to know whether what you're hearing is "normal" and changes in LO's position, interference from bowel sounds, placenta, blood flowing through the cord etc etc can all sound a lot like heart sounds and sound like something is off :hugs:

I'm so sorry for all your worry, it must be very difficult after a loss.

I have to say my little ones heartbeat is pretty jumpy! I don't know how accurate my Doppler is but it jumps from 120-170 constantly! And sometimes when I'm listening it'll be beating away and then suddenly stop completely! Which freaked me out at first but now I just assume is just baby moving position!

I would 100% go by babies movement, it sounds positive that you can feel plenty of movement! I would say don't be afraid to get checked if you think you need to be, who cares if they think you are making a fuss. But if you are feeling movement and it's your usual pattern, then it does sound like baby is probably OK! Thinking of you!

I really really wouldn't worry when I listen in most nights at moment lol my boys heartbeat can b all over the place and as pp person said stop completely and also sou nd like there are extra beats and all sorts,definitely do not use Doppler as a diagnostic tool it really can't tell you wether baby is ok or not ok your scans and your mw are the best tools for telling you about your baby and I would trust their judgment,please please try not too worry yourself I'm sure all is fine x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->